Is anyone else excited about the new Buck 524 Alumni?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Is anyone else excited about the new Buck 524 Alumni?

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

This knife looks great to me. A small gentleman's lockback with an aluminum frame & handle that is made in the USA? Shut-up and take my money!
Blank-Diagram-Buck-Alumni.png
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
XX Case XX

Re: Is anyone else excited about the new Buck 524 Alumni?

Post by XX Case XX »

I like it. What's the closed length, about 3.5"? Can't find any info on it.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
TwoFlowersLuggage

I think it is the same size as the Knight, so it's a tiny little guy. The only info I have found is:

Code: Select all

Alumni compact and easy to carry knives feature an anodized aluminum handle and 420HC steel blade. Made in the USA. Blade length 1 7/8". Weight: .75 oz. 
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Looks like an aluminum handled version of the 505 and 425; all three appear to share the same blade. Nice size for dress pant occasions and office work. OH
Ps., yes, I like it.
Attachments
7032E747-9107-45EE-8E40-03E3A388C056.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Corso

Post by Corso »

more disappointed that the 300 series has taken a cut than anything new to be honest
TwoFlowersLuggage

Corso wrote:more disappointed that the 300 series has taken a cut than anything new to be honest
Which ones were cut? Are there still USA-produced models in the 300-series?
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

302, 305, 309 discoed.. :( John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Down to the 303 Cadet and the 301 Stockman - back where they started out with slipjoints in the 1960's. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TwoFlowersLuggage

Well, the imported models are all still there. I think it is interesting how the market for small pen-type knives seems to have declined. The Chinese brands aren't even making very many different versions of them. I think Buck has more small pen-type knives than just about anyone else.
OleBuck

Post by OleBuck »

Yes, I like the new Alumni, I've already got my pre-order in for all 4 colors.

There are now 12 different model numbers all sharing the same 1 7/8" blade and locking system. They are 425, 505, 506, 507, 515, 524, 525, 526, 527, 529, 825, 826.
TwoFlowersLuggage

My favorite knife I have ever owned was the Buck 506 that I carried for over 10 years and then misplaced, never to be seen again. I still miss that knife. It was given to me by my father-in-law back in the early '90s after they closed their Western store and had some knives left over from their Case store display. I wish I could go back in time (with my current bank account) and buy every knife in that display - but I would trade all of them to have back my discolored, chipped and scratched Lady Buck!
Corso

Post by Corso »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Well, the imported models are all still there. I think it is interesting how the market for small pen-type knives seems to have declined. The Chinese brands aren't even making very many different versions of them. I think Buck has more small pen-type knives than just about anyone else.
Not so sure Peanuts are still a big draw and the 309 is a great little pocket carry. I had heard they were consciously moving their lines back to the US so was surprised the US Buck knives were the ones being cut - For a UK buyer the price difference was marginal compared to the likes of roughrider or even the Taylor made Schrades.

I only own one Chinese made Buck the 379 Solo - since it has no US made equivalent - I really wanted them to being out a single blade 309 and 301

Looks like I might have to mod my own
TwoFlowersLuggage

Yup, I carried a 309 in Rosewood for several years. I also have a 379, but I don't have a 302. A single blade pen bigger than the 379 didn't really interest me. Isn't the 379 essentially a single blade 309 (except for country of origin)? I don't have them in front of me at the moment.
Corso

Post by Corso »

essentially yes but different steel, handle material (not a fan of the wood) and origin :)

wouldn't really call this a pen :D
s-l1600.jpg
but I bet it would give a case sodbuster jr a run for its money in sales and use

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”