Is this a 1988 date stamp?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Is this a 1988 date stamp?

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Can someone confirm or correct me on whether this is a 1988 date stamp? I always have trouble on the Buck tang stamps - they seem rather poorly defined.
IMG_20171226_104834.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
bertl

Re: Is this a 1988 date stamp?

Post by bertl »

It is. At the top of the first page is a thread titled Buck Date Chart. Scroll down to the 5th post to see all of the date marks through 2010. There is a more current version somewhere.

Bert
TwoFlowersLuggage

Thank you! I have the date chart - I'm just really horrible at seeing the nice theoretical symbol shown on the chart in the little mangle of steel on the actual knife! The more I stare at it, the more the 1988 mark sort of starts to look like 2008, and the 2012 mark starts to look like 2016! I need a smiley that looks like a blind guy...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:I'm just really horrible at seeing the nice theoretical symbol shown on the chart in the little mangle of steel on the actual knife!
I know what you mean. That happens on other knife brands as well. Drives me nuts sometimes!! :x I need a magnifying glass just to read it.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

I'm going to say its 2008. All '88's I've seen are pretty well defined as a chevron. The fact this one is blurred leads me to believe there is another piece to the symbol.
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
TwoFlowersLuggage

kossetx wrote:I'm going to say its 2008. All '88's I've seen are pretty well defined as a chevron. The fact this one is blurred leads me to believe there is another piece to the symbol.
There's always one troublemaker in the crowd... :D

Actually - that is exactly the kind of feedback I need. I haven't seen enough of these tang stamps to know what is "normal".

Thanks!

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”