Buck 303 score today/ help w/ i.d.

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
300Bucks

Re: Buck 303 score today/ help w/ i.d.

Post by 300Bucks »

Bert showed a knife the same version as the one in question. Both would be described as last versions Camillus contract made. The fairly large loss of clip blade by sharpening likely gives some increased appearance of the swedge. As stated Camillus hand finished their knives and some variations in all grinds could be possible. I am holding in my hand a 303 that happened to be under some desk papers, it is from the version just older than the OP's knife but has the same swedge depth and width as pictured when 1/2 of this blades 'swedge' area would be sharpened away. Many times blades and other parts were used up in the next version rather than thrown away. Swedges are mainly for eye appeal, in small folders they generally serve no purpose. But, they can allow easier access to nail nics and may allow multi blade knives blades to more easily nest in the blade well on closing. Do a google search if interested.

In the end it is my humble opinion that the OP has a last version Camillus contract Buck with a swedged blade. Swedges were seldom found on other Buck contract 300s such as 311, 313, 321 etc. It seems to be a stockman and two blade "peanut" style Buck (Camillus) design.

I have not posted a photo because I am lazy and after the PhotoBucket debacle my knife photos are in a mess. 300Bucks

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”