The knife that started it all for me...

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
kossetx

The knife that started it all for me...

Post by kossetx »

This actually was my second Buck, but the first I purchased. Bought it aboard the USS Camden in 1978 as a 18 year old sailor. Was used hard as a multi tool in the days before multi tools were invented. It scraped many a flanges, opened many a can o beans and carved quite a few spoons to eat those beans with while on camping trips in the pacific nw. Days gone by...

Show your "first" if you still have it.

Pete
image.jpg
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: The knife that started it all for me...

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

My first is loooong gone. It was a cheap large stockman my Dad bought for me when I was maybe 11 or 12 (this would have been around 1973 or 74). I have no idea what brand it was - I just remember it was the biggest knife in the case under the max price my Dad had set. I whittled a lot of sticks, stripped a lot of wires and tossed that knife into a lot of wood fence posts. The last time I saw it was about 10 years ago when we were cleaning out a tool shed after my parents died. The knife was a pile of rust sitting in a box destined for a garage sale. In retrospect, I should have kept it, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

The first knife I ever bought. Bought it from an ad in the back of a 1971 Boys Life magazine. I was 10 years old and I'll never forget how excited I was for it to arrive.
Attachments
IMG_3307.JPG
IMG_3308.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

The first knife I ever had I was a rusty Boy Scout type I barely remember. .In the early 70's I had a 3" blade cheep auto that saved me from a severe beating or worse. I watched it fall perfectly between the planks of a fishing pier into 25' of water. I wish I had that one back. First Buck I had was a 503 Prince that was the only knife I had for a dozen year's till my wife snapped the blade opening a can of peas. .I tossed what was left in a drawer or the trash. .wish I had that one back too..
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

These were the first knives that I remember buying for myself. One or the other hung on my belt for the next 25 years. I sent the 110 in to the Buck warranty dept for a broken lock and a clean up. They really brought it back to life.
Buck 2 dot 110-112.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Alright guys, I reckon I shoulda been more specific. This was my fourth or fifth knife, but my second buck. Since we're on the buck forum, let's limit it to buck knives.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kossetx wrote:Alright guys, I reckon I shoulda been more specific. This was my fourth or fifth knife, but my second buck. Since we're on the buck forum, let's limit it to buck knives.
Well that one went right over my head. ::doh:: I didn't even realize I was posting in the Buck forum.

I bought my first Buck in the early 1980's. It was a 703 Colt and I have a couple of them now but I no longer own the original.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I had quite a few knives over the years as tools, but this Buck Alpha was what set me to collecting knives. My son sent it to me as a Christmas gift in 2006. Muskratman furnished the bone bolt-on covers. Ironically it is the only Buck folder I own, although I do have a number of Buck fixed blades.
alpha001.jpg
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

My first Buck was/ is an Omni Hunter, bought it cause I needed a knife for a hunting trip, cleaned a deer with it that year ::tu:: Finally bought a 50th anniversary 110, cause everyone needs a 110....but, it's still in the package, will gift that to my grandson in a few years. I wear a Leatherman multi-tool for work, and have an assortment of EDC folders I carry. I regret NOT buying the 112 in a secondhand store with a broken blade tip for $1, I didn't know about Bucks forever warranty back then ::dang::
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Railsplitter, I remember the days when the back of the magazine was where I went first. All that stuff and mon keys too!

Also pat mcmannis was there too. :)
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

My first that i bought myself was a fine tool called a Buck .112. Back when I first got in the trade 1974.I found that when I got out of. Work I didn't need to go home and get a fixed blade for hunting the .112. Did just fine at work and in the field :D
Attachments
IMG_0099.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Great idea for a thread. My first two knives that I remember were Scout knives in the early and mid 1960's (not Buck's for sure). The first nice knife I owned was this Buck 301 that my Grandma gave me in the early 1970's - I was in HS as I remember carrying it to school. The first Buck I bought for myself was in 1976 - this Buck 105 at the PX in Aberdeen Proving Ground MD; I was a 2LT taking the Ordnance Officers Basic Course and needed a field knife. I used the 105 to clean this Ruddy Duck this past Tuesday. OH
Attachments
Buck 301 early 1973.JPG
29EDAB52-271C-442F-BC4D-B472A99E3168.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Great topic.....wish I could post....it's not about a Buck.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

The first knife I ever bought (14yrs old in 1971) with my own money earned from a paper route was a BUCK 309 Companion.. Bought it at a local archery shop for 18.00 if I remember correct.. I carried that all thru school and beyond.. Still have the knife though since retired.. John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Great new topic!

It all started when my wife got me a Christmas present in 1978. She did not know what to get me
as we walked into Things Remembered store and I saw this Case knife. I have used the heck out
of it ever since.

I really was not into the knife hobby until 3 years ago. I was looking at a catalog that had a Gerber
pocket knife. I did a google search on the knife and came to the conclusion Case is of much
better quality and has a great variety of knives. I never new Case had so many pocket knives let
alone people collect knives as a hobby.

I bought a few Case knives on ebay and needed a new hobby. I found a few forums on pocket knives.
The rest is history......

Never did get that Gerber knife.

Bob
Attachments
case.6308.jpg
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Railsplitter wrote:The first knife I ever bought. Bought it from an ad in the back of a 1971 Boys Life magazine.
I remember that ad like it was yesterday. I just never bought one.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

[quote="Old Hunter"] The first nice knife I owned was this Buck 301 that my Grandma gave me in the early 1970's.

Man I like that 301. Always have. Very nice OH. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kossetx wrote: Also pat mcmannis was there too. :)
And Rancid Crabtree! lol (that would be me).
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

My first knife EVER was this Auburn Rubber Knife I got when I was 6 years old. LOL! Yes, it is 100% rubber!!
IMG_1848.JPG

My first REAL knife that mom would let me get was a Imperial Kamp King like this unused one I recently found at a gunshow. The Kamp King was 75 cents new back in the day. Wow those were the days, right??
IMG_1849.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Whoops, forgot to include my first Buck knife, this 703 Colt stockman, which I carried for many years.
IMG_1850.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

XX Case XX wrote:
Old Hunter wrote: The first nice knife I owned was this Buck 301 that my Grandma gave me in the early 1970's.

Man I like that 301. Always have. Very nice OH. ::tu::

Thank you Mike.

Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Buck 303 I bought down in DeKalb around the turn of the century (21st Century that is). Wal-Mart was closing their store and moving into a newly built store just a few blocks south of their location so everything had to go. Got it cheap, $6 or $7. Lost it to TSA my first trip out after 9/11.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Wow olde cutler, I forgot about those rubber knives until you showed it. Seems like I had a few, one being a dagger type knife with a big pommel and the other a bowie.

Back when men were men and toys didn't have orange tips on them. :)
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Ohhhh - first Buck knife! That one is easier - except that I don't have that one anymore either...

It was a very old fixed blade in a leather sheath that my Dad had as long as I can remember. I'm guessing he bought it in the late 50s or early 60s. We lived on a farm and raised animals (mostly sheep) and that knife was our "veterinary knife". If we needed to cut something off (tails, boils, testicles, etc), that was the knife we used. Over the next 20+ years that knife had been sharpened down to almost nothing! My brother now has that knife in a display case with some other mementos from the farm.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”