Have you ever traded a nice Buck?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Bucksway

Have you ever traded a nice Buck?

Post by Bucksway »

A month or so ago I picked up a nice Yellowhorse 314 fishing in the bay. .My high bid was under 50.00 and the winning bid defaulted. So I get a email asking if I wanted to buy it for the high bid. .I declined nicely but got a answer back saying 'I have to many knives! ' and he accepted the bid. I got it in the mail and it really WAS a cool knife (my first big trapper ) Then my Brother sent me a email asking if I wanted to buy a older 112 in brass and Rams horn. But I'm still on knife restriction till the New year because of a build out 112 and a custom shop 112 in Indio blue wood, NS ,mirror polished blade fully engraved. What to do? Ah, send the seller a picture of the Yellowhorse 314! A deal was struck! Even trade and now I have a Rams horn 112 for the rare, odd, 1 of 1 and prototype 112 collection! I had one from Buck that was a truly unique and beautiful example but foolishly sold it to help finance a pair of new blue lable Glocks. .It all worked out well for both of us ,we each have a real nice Buck. So have any of yall traded into a nice Buck that fits your collection?
Old Hunter

Re: Have you ever traded a nice Buck?

Post by Old Hunter »

I hear ya Bud! Of course, and guns too. A couple of knives and guns I'd love to have back, but most it doesn't matter. Trouble is, only way I know which ones I will really miss is to get rid of one and then find out that it stays on my mind. Of course that is coming from a man who has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to knives - don't know how many I own, but if I started working them hard today I couldn't ever wear them all out in a lifetime. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Bucksway

Re: Have you ever traded a nice Buck?

Post by Bucksway »

The first 5 or 6 years after I joined the BCCI I was really proud of the fact that I never sold a Buck. ...I felt uncomfortable selling a knife for a profit to a fellow collector. Especially the build outs that were such a bargain. I didn't exactly frown on those who did but I chose not to. It bothered me that ebay resellers would snatch up the really limited Bucks with no intention of collecting them but double or even triple the price. When they do that I feel it hurts the community of true collectors. But that is the way it is..Trading for a knife is much more satisfying to me than buying but I have traded just a handful of times. Sellers regret is real and I avoid the feeling by not doing it!

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”