Buck 110 Blade Process

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
supratentorial

Buck 110 Blade Process

Post by supratentorial »

Buck #110 Folding Hunter Blade Process
Blank > Double Disc > Stamp & Nail Notch > Chamfer > Hollow Grind > Heat Treat > Tumble > Finished
EqV5HO8.png
XX Case XX

Re: Buck 110 Blade Process

Post by XX Case XX »

Thanks for posting that. It's fascinating to see the entire process step-by-step. It makes me wonder how people made blades centuries ago without all the modern technology we have today, and a good number of those blades survived the test of time. I'm going to save that photograph for future reference. That's a great visual learning tool. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

Glad you share my interest, Mike ::tu::
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

supratentorial wrote:Glad you share my interest, Mike ::tu::
Yes, I do. Now I'm having trouble seeing the difference between the first two blades: Blank/Double Disc. I'm not quite sure about the difference between those two. I enlarged the photo and took a long hard look but the only difference I can see is the color. Or maybe it's a process they do that is not easily visible?

supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

XX Case XX wrote:
Yes, I do. Now I'm having trouble seeing the difference between the first two blades: Blank/Double Disc. I'm not quite sure about the difference between those two. I enlarged the photo and took a long hard look but the only difference I can see is the color. Or maybe it's a process they do that is not easily visible?

I had looked long at that one also. I did search "double disc grinders" and if I understand correctly, they grind a very small amount off both faces of the blade, squaring them up after blanking. Not 100% sure though.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

So it's a tedious and intricate process. Got it. Still fascinating though. It's interesting to see how the things we use all the time are manufactured in the step-by-step process.

It all starts from separate, yet equally important parts machined, cleaned, and then attached in sequential order to create that thing we carry, use, and admire for many years, then hopefully passed down through the family order for decades and even centuries.

And when all is said and done, it's simply a pocket knife...

supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

It's interesting stuff. Also, an understanding the manufacturing is fundamental to understanding quality since the meaning of quality is tied to manufacturing. As one example, flush springs are sometimes viewed as a sign of quality but it is partly an artifact of the hafting process. The springs are ground flush during the shaping of the cover material. In contrast, the components on a Victorinox knife are made separately and the springs and covers aren't ground flush.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

supratentorial wrote:It's interesting stuff. Also, an understanding the manufacturing is fundamental to understanding quality since the meaning of quality is tied to manufacturing. As one example, flush springs are sometimes viewed as a sign of quality but it is partly an artifact of the hafting process. The springs are ground flush during the shaping of the cover material. In contrast, the components on a Victorinox knife are made separately and the springs and covers aren't ground flush.
I don't suppose you have a few photographs you could post here so I could "see" exactly what you mean? I think I understand what you're saying but a picture, if possible, would speak volumes.

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

XX Case XX wrote:
supratentorial wrote:It's interesting stuff. Also, an understanding the manufacturing is fundamental to understanding quality since the meaning of quality is tied to manufacturing. As one example, flush springs are sometimes viewed as a sign of quality but it is partly an artifact of the hafting process. The springs are ground flush during the shaping of the cover material. In contrast, the components on a Victorinox knife are made separately and the springs and covers aren't ground flush.
I don't suppose you have a few photographs you could post here so I could "see" exactly what you mean? I think I understand what you're saying but a picture, if possible, would speak volumes.

_________
Mike
For example on a knife from GEC, the backs are ground so that everything is flush.
gec-grinding-backs.jpg
rubxbKP.jpg
In contrast, each part of a Victorinox knife is finished BEFORE assembly. There is no grinding after assembly. So the springs are not completely flush. It's pretty good but not completely flush. This is not really a matter of quality. It's a matter of differences in the manufacturing.
Victorinox_Knife_Assembling_Set-630x608.jpg
hr8laZH.jpg
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Okay, now I get it. Thank you for the photos, that really makes sense now. It's interesting how different manufacturers do things. There's no "one way" of performing some of the tasks needed to make a pocket knife.

I myself prefer that the finishing touches be performed after final assembly, but like you said, quality is not the issue, it's simply an alternate manufacturing method. This is good stuff, I'm really glad for your post. ::handshake::

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Just took the time to read through this; very interesting and educational. Thanks, OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Awesome info! Thanks for sharing!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

supratentorial wrote:
XX Case XX wrote:

I had looked long at that one also. I did search "double disc grinders" and if I understand correctly, they grind a very small amount off both faces of the blade, squaring them up after blanking. Not 100% sure though.
That is 100% what double disc is.
Squaring up the blank, and removing the sharp burr on the bottom side of the die cut.
I buy die cut stainless for backing plates used on a boats deck cleats, and those buggers will slice you up unless you relieve that sharp burr on the bottom side

Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

Thanks guys! And thank you for the video, americanedgetech ::tu::
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Cool ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.