Bucklite 422

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Beag1eGal

Bucklite 422

Post by Beag1eGal »

Hello. Can you guys tell me when they made the Bucklite 422 with finger grooves?
When did they start and if they still make them? Also did they use the date code for year identification on these?
I found one with just the tang stamp 422 and no symbol after it.
It just says Buck
USA
Does that mean that it was made before 1986?
Thank you
XX Case XX

Re: Bucklite 422

Post by XX Case XX »

I could be wrong but I think they were made in 1982. I don't know if Buck makes those anymore. If you want to be sure, I'd contact Buck Knives and ask them directly. If you send an e-mail, be prepared to wait at least a week for a reply.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

Ok, thank you. Also i have seen a few with 422 and one dot after the 422??? This does not coincide with the Buck date code for their knives. It is more in line with the 110 and 112's.
Any help with this?
OleBuck

Post by OleBuck »

The 422 BuckLite is first seen in the 1984 catalog (keep in mind the 1984 catalog was prepared in 1983).

Concerning dots....understand that dots are NOT date codes. Buck used them as engineering change codes to identify a process/material change. Even Buck is not completely sure about the usage of dots and the associated dates. It is generally thought the the single dot was used about 1985 to signify a change in how the blades were blanked.

The 2,3 and 4 dots used on the 110's and 112's were engineering changes and specific to those models only. Off the top of my head I recall the 4-dots signified the change to 425m blade steel. I forget at the moment what change the 2-dot and 3-dot changes were. Only knowing what change the dots signified and when it happened allows the dots to be used as defacto date codes. True date codes start in 1986.

Back to the OP's knife with no date code or dot it is most likely an early one say about 1984. Markings progressed to a 'dot' about 1985 then on to true date codes in 1986.
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

These knives and 110/112s are not ones I know a lot about. But, I think that some moderately older 110/112s did use dots as a dating method. They would be on one or both sides of the model number. Both of those do have production change code dots, usually found in a odd spot on the front tang or on the rear tang. The 110/112 date descriptions on this forum need to be improved and additional descriptions given for later versions up to 1985.
After that date they generally used the date codes of symbols that I am more familiar with. Codes exist from 86 to 2022. Go to the Buck knife website and search for date codes. 300Bucks
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Every 1st and 2nd generation Buck 422 (and the ones blade marked 112) that I have seen in person or in pictures has finger grooves. The oldest 422 Buck knife that I am aware of is the 1st generation Order of the Arrow NOAC (BSA) variation that was made for the 1983 BSA NOAC. Not sure if it was sold at the conference or orders taken and shipped later. OH
Attachments
Buck 422 - 1983 NOAC (3).JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”