112 has unknown name and toy soldier on blade

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Greenbone_67

112 has unknown name and toy soldier on blade

Post by Greenbone_67 »

This is my first time posting on allaboutpocketknives, and I am excited about all the knowledge this forum has to offer. All of my knife searches eventually point back to here. My father gave me a 112 he received as a gift from his boss in the 80s, and I can't seem to find what the name on the blade and image of a toy soldier refer to. The knife was brand new when my father received it as a Christmas gift from his in the 80s, and he has no idea what the name on the blade refers to. The name is Morgan and the toy soldier is placed to the right of it. I am am hoping someone here might know something about this. So far, my Google searches have turned up nothing.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: 112 has unknown name and toy soldier on blade

Post by deo-pa »

There is Morgan Toy Company in Utah; maybe it's a promotional item.

Dennis
bertl

Post by bertl »

What sort of work did your father do? Maybe it is a hotel doorman and not a soldier. Did he have any business connection to hotels?

Bert
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Buck etched the blades on their knives (and also laser engraved the wood handles) for many, many companies in the 1970's, 80,s and 90's - promotional items. I'm not sure if anyone (to include Buck) can list them all. Many are well know (CSX Transportation, Weyerhaeuser, etc.) while I've also seen mysteries like yours. Someone at the Buck Collectors Club may be able to help you. Welcome to AAPK and to the Buck sub-forum. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Greenbone_67

Post by Greenbone_67 »

Thanks everyone. My father was was a foreman for a construction company at the time, and he said he has never heard of this toy company before. We think maybe his boss received the knife as a gift and regifted it to my father.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

deo-pa wrote:There is Morgan Toy Company in Utah; maybe it's a promotional item.

Dennis
Indeed it is......I can sell you some right now if you like (not trying to promote my business, just saying it is indeed a custom printed promotional item, aka advertising specialties).
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

I have one of them too and it's my pleasure to give you the true scoop on that definitely odd 112. It's from a milk company / dairy in the NE. .I think Connecticut but as my memory is just a little faulty North East for sure. I started collecting oddball 112's in 2006 and bought mine on ebay in 2008. I think I give $12.00 for it and I wouldn't take $100.00 for it! Yours is the only other one I've seen or heard of ..If you like rare you sure got one. It's possible there might be a simple embossed sheith that went with it but I've never seen one.
Greenbone_67

Post by Greenbone_67 »

So glad to hear from someone else with the same knife. Nothing ever seems to come up on Google searches. I found a pic of the etching on the blade once, but no info. The sheath in the pics is the one that came with the knife. This is one of my favorite knives, because it's the only one handed down to me. My dad also gave me an old broad head ax from my Great-Great Grandfather Do you have a pic of your 112?
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

I'm very pic challenged ...I have a Note 3 and have never quite got how to post pictures but I do have a photo bucket account with no pictures in it. .When I found my 112 I looked for 2 years like you to find out more about it. I was chatting with a guy who collects cookie jars of all things and told him about my oddball 112 and he knew right away about the company since he grew up near it. I looked in years of Buck special projects lists and it did not show up in there data. It was likely done by a third party like a previous poster suggested . I only collect oddball, rare, 1 of 1, safety award, limited edition and prototype 112's. Tang stamp variations or major changes don't get me excited. .One of my most treasured 112's is a Union award knife with finger grooves, both bolsters engraved with logos, pad print blade AND Lazer engraved wood handle! They checked off every single option from Buck but nickel silver and I'm not sure if it was offered. $26.99 and I sweated for 6 days till I won the auction. In all my years since 2006 yours is the only one that I have seen but mine.
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

As Bucksway knows, there aren't a lot of laser etched or ink printed 112's. Buck knives used as promotional items usually fell in the less expensive models, hence my knowledge of them in the 300 series. I have several from many companies. Some are easily known and some are symbols or initials only. Which can make it interesting to figure out. SMKWs also used some impressing and printing on blades to create special editions, i.e. such a tractors, trains or Paul Bunyon on the model 317. The ink printing easily disappears with hard cleaning, especially with Brasso or other polish.
Buck will still imprint or laser etch your company name in a knife if your order enough of them. It use to be a minimum of 300 each. The BCCI club knife 301 had ink printing for the club on the main blade. If I win a lottery I may have some 300Bucks model 303's made. Ha

About once a year, I order a dozen or so small one blade folders in camo orange and have Buck laser etch the local Boy Scout Troop number on the blade for the scoutmaster to use as awards. I would encourage any of you who know a scoutmaster to do the same. ::tu::
300Bucks
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

It really is a small world. .On ebay last week there was a NIB one with all the paperwork. I'm not sure what it sold for as I'm saving every Buck I have for the new build out. Suppose to be a nickel silver S35VN blade and old ebony (magissar? sic )from the 70's. Some were Dymondwood and most were brass. Some were sent back and there is a little confusion. .I want every version! But I did look long and hard at the little toy solder. .It was in better shape than my example but it was one of my first odd 112's

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”