Buck Statue of liberty knife model 500LB

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Dan Y.

Buck Statue of liberty knife model 500LB

Post by Dan Y. »

Hello folks,
I collected and made knives in my younger years and was never more depressed than when I was a high school exchange student in Germany and had to watch from a train window as the city of Solingen rolled past without stopping. :(

I have a Buck model 500LB Statue of Liberty commemorative knife that I bought back in 1986 and can't find much information about it online.
It's a very attractive knife with a laser etched walnut display stand.
The covers are made from the doors of Ellis Island and it has a copper badge on it that was made from pieces actually removed from the statue of liberty during it's restoration.
Does anyone know the value of this knife? It's still sitting in the original box and I have only looked at it a couple times since the day I bought it.
Best wishes,
XX Case XX

Re: Buck Statue of liberty knife model 500LB

Post by XX Case XX »

There's one listed on eBay for $475.00. Not to say yours will bring that much but that's what one other person is trying to get.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Dan Y.

Post by Dan Y. »

Thanks Mike, that's way over what I would expect (Or ask if I opted to sell it).
I was just digging through my collection and found my very first knife, it's a Buck 105 that my brother bought for me ages ago.
While it's just a utilitarian mass production hunter, to me, it's the most valuable one I own, because of who gave it to me.
OleBuck

Post by OleBuck »

5,000 Model 500 Statue of Liberty knives were made. There were also over runs using the same blade but a plain birch handle with no medallion. The knife is common enough that there are always some for sale on eBay. You can search completed auctions there to see actual asking and selling prices, usually in the $100 range. OB
1986 Liberty knives.jpg
Dan Y.

Post by Dan Y. »

Seeing as it cost about $150 in 1986 dollars I'd have to say Buck collecting, while enjoyable, is far from a sound investment.
Best wishes,
Dan

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”