313 question

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Berryb

313 question

Post by Berryb »

I got this 313 a few weeks ago. When I was playin' around with... er inspecting it I noticed that the main blade seems to have come from the factory unground. The other blade has a factory edge on it, but the main blade is about as sharp as a butter knife. Is this a common thing? Would you Buck guys recommend I sharpen it or put it away as is. When I got it I was gonna put it in my edc pile but I don't have enough pockets to carry the ones I've got already. Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
IMG_4807.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 313 question

Post by jerryd6818 »

Send it back to Buck and tell them to lick their calf over. From what I hear, they have great warranty service. Or sharpen it yourself if you're good at it and you don't want to go through the hassle and expense of shipping it back to them.

I like the send it back option because then they know they let a defect slip through and get to a customer.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

jerryd6818 wrote:tell them to lick their calf over
::hmm:: I missed so much being raised in a city. :)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It's down home, country folks expression for repeating something and this time get it right.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks Jerry. I did immediately catch the drift. Just struck by it as I had not previously encountered it. Very colorful. Also, now that I am surrounded by three cattle farms I consider myself down home and very country. [To my delight.]
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Your Buck Knife was made under contract by Camillus prior to 1997, don't know if Buck still services that model (parts availability), but they will certainly sharpen the blade for you - the spa service is excellent and costs $6.95 and one way shipping. I bought a Camillus era Buck 301 a few months ago that had an irregular edge - obviously even Camillus let a few slip through every now and then - the knife is NOS so I just left it alone. I like carrying a Buck 313 - due to the low closed blade profile it carries like a smaller knife. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

As OH says its a Camillus made Buck. Call Bucks 800 number and explain blade is unsharpened and they likely will sharpen it for free. It could have slipped through inspection or been made up of left over parts when Camillus closed down. It won't take one of Bucks expert sharpeners a few strokes to put on a good edge. 300

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”