Help identifying a Buck knife

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
originallyfromhere

Help identifying a Buck knife

Post by originallyfromhere »

Hi everyone,

This community seems to be thriving with information and recently a 2nd Buck knife owner, I was wondering if I could get more eyes on what I have purchased. I found a bunch of information but I don't know if it's all correct. Best I can tell I bought a BUCK knife with a lucite handle so I started reading up on them but information seems to be sparse, maybe I need an antiquities knife book for some historical data?

Description:
Stamp: BUCK ( uneven lettering ) no other marks/dots
Blade: Fisherman? Seems like has a fillet top
Handle: Multi color lucite
Sheath: Leather ( faint BUCK stamp )

I'm going to try to attach photos since describing it doesn't do it justice. Any help further identifying this knife would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Attachments
1_BuckFixedBlade_RIGHT.jpg
2_BuckFixedBlade_RIGHT_CLOSE.jpg
3_BuckFixedBlade_LEFT.jpg
4_BuckFixedBlade_LEFT_CLOSE.jpg
Old Hunter

Re: Help identifying a Buck knife

Post by Old Hunter »

What you have there is an early (and very NICE) Buck from the era when they were essentially handmade from files. I'm not an expert in the early configurations, but it appears to be from Group Two (as referred to by collectors). The knife would be from the era right after WW-II. You may want to track down a copy of Blade's Guide To Knives & Their Values, edited by Steve Shackleford, 2005 edition - there is a good article on early Buck fixed blade knives beginning on page 361. Your sheath looks original and it all appears to be in very good shape - I'd take a WAG and say $650.00 or more. NICE BUCK! OH
Ps welcome to the Buck Knife subforum at AAPK (and to AAPK as well).
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
originallyfromhere

Thank you for the quick response! I had no idea it could be this old and in such a good condition. I purchased my first a few years back and liked it but never seen anything like this.

I'll see if I can find a " Blade's Guide To Knives & Their Values, edited by Steve Shackleford " for more information. Thank your info :)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Camillus 72 1946-1950 Bone - Welcome To AAPK-crop.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
originallyfromhere

Thank you :)
originallyfromhere

Old Hunter wrote:What you have there is an early (and very NICE) Buck from the era when they were essentially handmade from files. I'm not an expert in the early configurations, but it appears to be from Group Two (as referred to by collectors). The knife would be from the era right after WW-II. You may want to track down a copy of Blade's Guide To Knives & Their Values, edited by Steve Shackleford, 2005 edition - there is a good article on early Buck fixed blade knives beginning on page 361. Your sheath looks original and it all appears to be in very good shape - I'd take a WAG and say $650.00 or more. NICE BUCK! OH
Ps welcome to the Buck Knife subforum at AAPK (and to AAPK as well).
Looks like you were spot on! Here's what I found in a Blade's Guide to Knives 7th edition:
Group Two
Group two knives were stamped on the right side with a smaller four-strike stamp. The handles were of stacked Lucite in many unusual color combinations. Black was offered as an option in this group.There was usually a pin through the pommel.The sheaths were the same as those in group one, though you may find a group two knife in a sheath with the word BUCK stamped on the pouch.The keeper snap had a convex, nickel-silver snap. Circa 1946-47.
Wow! What a piece of history :D
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Cool, very cool. I hope to trip across a Buck from that era one day - not going to pay the full freight, but they are a wonderful piece for a Buck collector. Looks like you started your Buck collection at the high and rare end of the spectrum! OH
Ps Your knife would be the predecessor to the Buck 121 Fisherman; I used one of mine today, from the mid to late 1970's, to clean some striped bass - they can still earn a living.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”