Imported Buck canoe question

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Imported Buck canoe question

Post by terryl308 »

Is Buck still having knives made in China, I heard once that they moved everything back to Idaho and are their guarantees good on the Chinese knives? I have this 309 canoe with jig bone handles and it seems to be good quality. This one was made in 2015 (square C with dot Thanks, Terry sorry misspelled imported.
Attachments
DSC_0789.JPG
DSC_0790.JPG
DSC_0792 (1).JPG
DSC_0793.JPG
DSC_0794.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old Hunter

Re: Imported Buck canoe question

Post by Old Hunter »

Buck still has some knives made for them overseas, but the warranty is the same as for the knives made in the USA. Nice canoe! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

OH, thanks for the reply. Don't get me wrong, I still like American made knives, but the Chinese must have at least one factory that is turning out some quality items. I have been carrying a Robert Klaas trapper that in my opinion is every bit as good in fit and finish as Case or Queen and it seems to be holding up. I also just bought a box of pocket knives that had several NAFC etched knives that appear to be real good quality. (no makers name just the etch) but they are marked China. And the Buck Canoe seems to be quality made also. Maybe they got the message that American made knives are hard to compete with. Guess I got off the subject, just my opinion, ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Terry, from what I have read you are spot on. Buck has their less expensive knives made offshore to their specification and inspection (some from Taiwan and some from mainland China - not sure which is which). If you hang around the Buck Sub-Forum at Blade Forums (this is Buck's "official" forum which they sponsor) you will read good things written about the China-made Bucks that they import. I haven't bought one yet, but may someday. Of course there are also very authentic appearing Buck counterfeits sold direct on e-bay, made in and shipped from China, but wearing USA markings - you have to be wary of those as they are hard to detect. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I have been eye balling one at Walmart.
Keep Near the Cross.
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I have two of the Buck canoes, new in the box. Never have used them, but they are made sturdy and nice. One thing that put me off is the blade steel is something like 420 J2 or something, not regular 420 HC like American Bucks. This other steel is pretty far down in quality on the steel charts.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I've got a China made Buck canoe in stag that is a very good knife. I've made it part of my EDC pile. It holds a wicked edge and looks good doing so.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
OleBuck

Post by OleBuck »

tallguy606 wrote:I have two of the Buck canoes, new in the box. Never have used them, but they are made sturdy and nice. One thing that put me off is the blade steel is something like 420 J2 or something, not regular 420 HC like American Bucks. This other steel is pretty far down in quality on the steel charts.
420J2 with a bit less carbon comes out about 2 points lower on the Rockwell scale than 420HC. These are inexpensive pocket knives and the 420J2 sharpens easily and is perfectly functional for utility use.... the edge does not have to make it all the way thru skinning an elk. High end steels on knives of this type would just be wheel spin. If you can believe the catalogs and packaging, Buck has used both 420J2 and 420HC on the ChinaBucks, even on the same model. If clam packaged, the backside will list which steel. I don't know any other way to tell as I've seen both listed for the same model at different times. The 389 Canoe has been offered in about 18 to 20 different handle materials over the years. Don't let the steel keep you from loving this knife. /OB
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

deltaboy wrote:I have been eye balling one at Walmart.
I pulled the trigger and got a Jigged bone one!
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”