Look what I found today! Buck 311 Trapper

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
300Bucks

Re: Look what I found today! Buck 311 Trapper

Post by 300Bucks »

I am gonna post this anywy and as you say prices will go up. But on the subject of Wenger. The top of the heap, rare version of the Buck Clipper (305 with scissors) is the very last year of its production. actually half year. You will notice Wenger stamped on the scissors as Buck changed to their scissors because they were better at cutting than the old clipper scissors. They will be found only on a red sawcut scale with regular 305 tang stamp and if you are super lucky (I don't have one) a black sawcut version. More rare than the small yellow barlow or the first Buck folder hand made out of surplus lifeboat knives or the first version of the America's Cup 315 Yachtsman. So now you have something else to look for. I have given up on ever finding a black sawcut. I could cheat and find another red sawcut and paint the scales black. But........300

High ....the last small yellow barlow and the second version America's Cup 315 I saw both were sold each for over $400. The good ole days are over for me getting 20 to 40$ rare 300s.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

300Bucks wrote:
High ....the last small yellow barlow and the second version America's Cup 315 I saw both were sold each for over $400. The good ole days are over for me getting 20 to 40$ rare 300s.
I'm glad I started when I did, I would have to spend more than twice as much nowadays to get the same basic set of 300's that I now have. Thanks for the tip on the scissors, I will put that on my "unobtanium" list and keep my eyes peeled. I think I'll more likely fill the gaps in my collection at estate sales or knife shows rather than ever hoping to find a deal online, looks like the bay prices will just keep going up.
Funny part of shopping on the bay is the number of "rare" and "vintage" Bucks that were actually made last year, seems like a lot of folks think anything made by Buck is automatically rare, valuable and collectible. I sent a message to one guy listing a 2009 #301 as "60's-'70's rare & vintage"; the guy said he had sold "hundreds of knives and you don't know what you are talking about". I even gave him the link to Buck's "How old is my knife" page and he still didn't believe me, (or just didn't want me to spoil his scam). I've always prided myself as being an honest, reputable seller on the bay, guess that means diddly to some.
Watched a small yellow Barlow and a lined bolster #303 go for well over a hundred this week, I guess that's the way it's going to go....like I said, glad I started when I did.
BCCI Member #2863
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Your points bring up tough choices. Just the last few posts on prices rising will likely be read by a hundred or more people. It use to be that kind of information was only passed on at meetings, knife shows or telephone conversations. Then came the internet and even then for a few years it was still a pretty small group of people that liked certain kinds and types of knifes to collect. At first I enjoyed sharing the knowledge given to me by others but now I pause to think how this writing, information sharing or photo posting is going to effect folks like you, trying to accomplish a collecting goal. Some will read the pointers and make a mental to watch for a particular knife because they know it is rare and they can make a few bucks reselling it. The openness of the internet is bad in this way and in the end may cause a shutdown in information sharing open to all eyes locations. I can see that happening in another forum I go to. All the original "collectors" have quit posting and discussing what they collect. Many of the posts are new people learning just some basic facts. It is an enigma that I have only thought about but not quit sharing info yet. We will just go on and hope those that are not really collecting but just "buying" for profit will be unlucky. In a sense the baton passing is occurring by you gathering up your collection, it will be you giving out the info to the new folks. Which is how things should be. Oh well, I gave up on being able to afford several knives a while ago and actually have quit searching the dark corners for them, so you are running the race against one less horse...ha ......300
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

I wanted to mention here that I am getting ready for a different kind of knife collecting adventure. Monday morning I'm driving from CA across country to Atlanta, GA to help care for my ailing sister who will be released from the hospital soon after an extended illness. The reason I'm driving is to bring back family heirlooms that have been stored there, but of course I'm going to attempt to do some knife shopping along the way. I'll be traveling along I-40, which goes all the way from Needles, Ca to Nashville, so if you know of any "must stop" places along that route please speak up. I already have made plans to go up into TN for a walk through SMKW, and will visit knife collecting friends from IKC Forums while there, (probably on the drive back), but that is the only solid plan I have in place at the time. I will look for knife shops, pawn shops and maybe even swap meets or a yard sale or two along the way. I'm giving myself nearly a week to get there in order to allow the occasional stop, so if you count coming and going I hope to have a couple of weeks to troll up a collectible knife or two on the trip. Of course, depending on my sister's condition, if I am still in ATL in June I'll try to attend the Blade Show, (even though I dread going through a southern summer; ugh!). Maybe I'll find a local knife show to attend along the way as well.
So, if you have any suggestions of where I might stop for a knife odyssey please let me know. 300, if you will be doing any shows along that route please let me know, I'd love to meet you in person.

On that note, as this was a family emergency that none of us was prepared for financially, my wonderful daughter started a Go Fund Me campaign to raise funds to get me there and back; here's the link to that campaign: https://www.gofundme.com/whpwgpcs.
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Two fer at a gun show in Marietta, GA recently. A pair of 1971 1/2 #301 Stockmans w/ small brass handle pins by Camillus. I was relatively surprised to see them both available from the same vendor, (which is my way of justifying laying out $40 for the pair). You can just see them hiding in the upper right side of the showcase in the bottom photo. According to notes in the database the handle pins were eliminated by the beginning of 1972. Both are in "good used" condition, with nearly-full to full blades, no cracks in the handles, tight in the bolsters, and both are absolutely razor sharp; whoever sharpened them last did a superb job!
Attachments
4-17-16 017.jpg
4-17-16 018.jpg
4-17-16 020.jpg
4-17-16 013.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Good find, good price. ::tu::

Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

300Bucks wrote:Good find, good price. ::tu::

Thanks 300. I'm just as happy to have known what I was looking at as anything else....knowledge is power, and the search goes on.
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

You can't do much better than that, Syd.

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote:You can't do much better than that, Syd.

Bert
Thanks Bert. I've been carrying one of those 301's everyday since I got them, I think it will be hard for me to part with one of them; seems like they should remain together since I found them that way. Actually got a better deal at an estate sale yesterday. Robeson Barlow for $2. Farm fresh but with full blades, great half stops, and as tight as any slipjoint can be. A little elbow grease and it will clean up nicely. I guess I'm on a roll here in Georgia.
Heading for SMKW in a few days, so the south has been, and will still be very productive for me knife-wise. Missing home though, so after a knifegasm in Sevierville I'm heading back west.

I'd add a photo of the Robeson, but AAPK isn't working very well right now, so I'll do that later.
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Now that AAPK has finished their upgrade and I can upload photos again, a photo of the Robeson Barlow I found in Atlanta for $2 at an estate sale. It cleaned up nice, not pristine but nice. Snaps like it was new, feels heavy in the hand, a very substantial pocket knife. From the looks of the master blade it was possibly made by Camillus, (hopeful guess). Whoever made it did a superb job, a good vintage "user" and my first Robeson.

Also just pulled the trigger on a #329 Freedom Trapper on the bay, so excited I stole the guy's photo. Considering the price, (got it for way less than I expected), either no one else caught this listing, (possible, it was vaguely described, I found it in a search for something else), or there are a lot of 1988 Yellow Delrin Buck SFO Freedom Trappers around; strangely, no one else even bid. Last one of these I saw on the bay went for substantially more, so I think I did pretty good at $40, (listed as "unused", photos seem to confirm that, seller had 100% rating). Oh well, good deal or not I'm glad to have another Buck SFO coming my way, it will be my first Yellow Delrin Buck. I'll post my own photos when it arrives.
Attachments
Robeson Barlow
Robeson Barlow
Camillus-made Buck #329 Freedom Trapper, a 1988 SFO for SMKW.
Camillus-made Buck #329 Freedom Trapper, a 1988 SFO for SMKW.
BCCI Member #2863
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Original SMKWs versions came in a box with a fancy belt buckle with eagle on it. With pledge of allegiance printed under lid, the old version, before they added "Under God" after one nation. 300
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

300Bucks wrote:Original SMKWs versions came in a box with a fancy belt buckle with eagle on it. With pledge of allegiance printed under lid, the old version, before they added "Under God" after one nation. 300
Well, at least I found the knife. Like you said when I completed my "basic" 300 Series collection, now I can start looking for SFO's, (you may have mentioned something about some kind of addiction too; can't remember). Guess I'll have to start looking for that box & buckle too.

BTW: Having a blast!!
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Here it is, #329 CC-made Freedom Trapper. Does not have "Under God" on it so I assume it is an original SMKW version sans decorated box. More akin to a #311 by Camillus than to the later Buck-made #312 & #314, but different from all of the rest in size. This one is 3 7/8" closed, while the #311 is 4", #312 is 3 1/2" & #314 is also 4". I haven't seen a Millenium Trapper in person, but I assume it is completely different than this too. This has the flat ground blades found on the #311, unlike the hollow ground on #312 & #314. This is my first Buck of any ilk with Yellow Delrin, and it also differs in that it has smooth handles with no jig. Beautiful knife, pristine condition, doesn't get much better than that in my world.
Of course more surprises are coming this week, I manged to obtain a NIB Grandaddy Barlow in Yellow Sawcut Delrin to go along with the black version I already have, so there will definitely be more yellow Bucks in my collection soon. As usual the timing wasn't ideal, I really should not have spent the money, but I've learned to grab 'em when I see 'em as I might never see another one; I'll eat beans for a month if I have to, so no harm no foul and I got a little closer to my ultimate goal of having at least one of each Buck SFO to go into my 300 Series collection. Time to look for a shadow box to put these in.
Attachments
Buck #329 Freedom Trapper
Buck #329 Freedom Trapper
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Here it is, 1999 SMKW SFO #331 Granddaddy Barlow in Yellow Sawcut Delrin by Camillus, NIB w/ papers. Indeed it was unused as it was described, and indeed I spent stoopid money to get it, but not as much as I paid for the black one, and less than I have seen these sell for in the past, (and far less than a new Queen or GEC of any kind). There aren't that many out there, so when might I ever see another like this for sale? How much would it have cost me in a couple of years? Whatever, it's here now and I am very pleased with it. Another addition to my slowly growing group of SFO's. Will be selling off a few extra Bucks from my collection to pay for this, but that's the reason I have extras, so no harm no foul. Now I can start looking for #332 Small Barlows, and a #331 in jigged bone.
Attachments
Buck #331 Granddaddy Barlow in Yellow Sawcut Delrin
Buck #331 Granddaddy Barlow in Yellow Sawcut Delrin
Doesn't everyone have two Granddaddy's?
Doesn't everyone have two Granddaddy's?
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Bump!!

I've recently been in a drought as far as my Buck collection goes, hence the lack of posts in this thread, but managed to find one of the near-unobtainable SFO's recently.

#322 Congress in Yellow Sawcut Delrin, in perfect condition. As far as I can tell this knife is indeed in "unused" condition, and it seems to me it has seldom ever been opened. This one will soon join it's Black Sawcut Delrin brother, (pictured earlier in this thread), in the glass display case with my other Buck SFO's.

300, as always I thank you and bertl for helping me on this never ending SFO journey, and though I have a few models to obtain, (more than a few actually), I am thrilled after more than two years searching to add this one to my small herd.
I will have another to post soon, just snagged a #310 Whittler for a song, will post here when it arrives.
Attachments
IMG_0947.JPG
IMG_0949.JPG
IMG_0946.JPG
IMG_0948.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

Great find, Syd. Just keep on picking away at what's out there.

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote:Great find, Syd. Just keep on picking away at what's out there.

Bert
Thanks Bert, it was on the edge of too expensive, but I didn't think I'd ever find another, so I broke down and grabbed it, (I mean it IS Christmas, and I HAVE been a good boy). However, the plot thickens, I was contacted just this morning by the same AAPK seller who claims to have a #333 Small Barlow in Yellow Sawcut Delrin, (not listed for sale yet), he is of course asking a A LOT for that one too, (more than the Congress by a stretch). Believe me, I am very VERY tempted, and very very conflicted. If I go for it I'll be worrying about spending too much, if I don't I'll be miserable about missing the opportunity. What to do what to do??
On another note, I thought I saw a post from 300 where he said he was looking for one of those too. I think I'll send him a PM, if I can't have it maybe he should. Thanks again Bert.
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

That may have been me looking for the small Barlow a year or so ago. I found one.

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote:That may have been me looking for the small Barlow a year or so ago. I found one.

Bert
I just sent a PM to 300, hopefully he will see it. I'm trying to decide if the knife is worth what the guy is asking. Check your inbox, I'll send you a PM too. I'm gun shy mentioning prices on these forums, I've been scolded about that more than once on BF, so I'll just shoot you a PM just in case.
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

I made a small mistake above, the model number of the Small Barlow is #332, NOT #333, which is the California Toothpick. So, 300, before you box my ears for that one bertl already beat you to the punch.
BCCI Member #2863
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

You guys don't need to concern yourselves with me. I have quit collecting and am just eating the hay already in the barn.
I seldom look at ebay unless you ask me to. So,you need to only be concerned with the half dozen of you that are sliding on the slippery slope I ( and one or two silent collectors) have already ridden...good luck...Hopefully you have a good postperson.....300
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

300Bucks wrote:You guys don't need to concern yourselves with me. I have quit collecting and am just eating the hay already in the barn.
I seldom look at ebay unless you ask me to. So,you need to only be concerned with the half dozen of you that are sliding on the slippery slope I ( and one or two silent collectors) have already ridden...good luck...Hopefully you have a good postperson.....300
I was just being polite, I really thought I had read a post where you said something about needing one, (duooh, ::dang:: of course you don't need one). Too late anyway, working a deal as we speak. Can't imagine ever not collecting though, especially Buck 300 Series. I'm sure I won't live long enough to find all the "versions", but I am indeed on a slippery slope with these SFO's; I'm sure I'll never stop looking for those, (because I'm sure I'll never find all of them). However, meager as it is I am thrilled to have the small collection that I have, (largely thanks to your guidance), and will be happy to hand down something substantial to my heirs, (after I'm done playing with them that is).
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

You can talk prices here on AAPK all you want, we only have one level of membership so there is no restriction. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote:You can talk prices here on AAPK all you want, we only have one level of membership so there is no restriction. OH
I wasn't aware of that OH, other forums censor their member's posts like storm troopers. Obviously I have been "ticketed" so to speak, so being cautious here is a natural reaction. Thanks for the update.
BCCI Member #2863
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

I got started in the late 80's, back when you actually could get a collector NIB 300 for 10 or 12 dollars. One day I realized I had 'most' of the old ones so all I would be collecting were the yearly new production models. There are a hand full of people that have extensive 300 collections and a few that continue to buy any new model that is released. I decided one of you guys could collect that era. My display I take to the Blade Show BCCI area is usually just the black sawcuts up to 1990. Once in a while I will throw in some pretty scaled one for the heck of it. If you are going to go to knife shows and display your collection you will need to go to one of the sites where pictures of peoples displays are shown. You will gain a wealth of knowledge seeing those. Some of the BCCI displays are shown in professional cabinetry upright cases and the knives are worth many hundreds of dollars. They will surprise you in the museum like quality of the display. I decided I would just stick with what I got and what I know. When I started posting about 300s no one collected those 'common' pocketknives. I would hear "Most weren't even made in the Buck factory." But on I went. Those dozen years or more I saw Ebay become popular and prices rise. And I saw Camillus and its experts drift away. I eventually had to end up buying a gun safe just for knives. The post office knew what the packages were I was receiving. If I was outside they would shout, you got another knife you want it or you want me to put in mail box on porch...ha. That's is where some of you are heading. Going to shows is easier on the coasts. Buck nuts in the center of the US have a long trip to join in. The Buck Collectors Club is at least worth the E-membership cost. It will give you access to old catalogs, newsletters and even some articles on 300s on the cheap. If you can travel to the Oregon knife show or the Blade Show in Atlanta. Plan time to sit around with the other Buck people, yes you can look for knives but you better do it the first day of the show, bring a display to show and you get in before the crowd. You can see some nice made displays and then go home and design one of your own and request a table the next year. If possible for your personal situation, think about attending the BCCI meeting at the Buck Factory in the summer of 2018 it will be one of those memories you will never forget. Let me stop my rambling and say the most important thing I can, "Keep records, keep knives ID'ed somehow" before you know it, even if you just have 15 you will wake up one day and you won't have any idea what you have. Do all that and you will be a Jedi Buck Collector. 300

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”