Questions about a Buck Titanium

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Questions about a Buck Titanium

Post by orvet »

I recently picked up a Buck 560 with a 2001 date code.
I think I remember then being introduced in the early 1990s, but I am not positive on that date.
It appears to be unused and still has the factory edge. The only think missing was the box and sheath.

I tried researching it online and no luck. Even ebay was no help. There is nothing like this one, all looked much newer than this one.

Does anyone have any information or knowledge about this knife?
When was the pattern introduced?
What kind of sheath did it come with?
What is the approximate value?

Thank you. ::tu::
Buck 560 a.jpg
Buck 560 b.jpg
Buck 560 c.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Questions about a Buck Titanium

Post by TripleF »

Cool knife....sorry though, I got nah-dah!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dale, I own one Buck 560 made in 1992; different finish on body and blade. There were quite a few finish variations on this model over it's run life. Here are two shots showing my sheath (back and front views). I don't know that the sheath didn't change in the decade between the time our knives were made. There was an extensive conversation on the Buck sub-forum at The Blade Forums concerning the 560 some time ago - but the search function is currently not working - I couldn't find you a link. OH
Attachments
DSC06032.JPG
DSC06037.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Old Hunter wrote:Dale,
I own one Buck 560 made in 1992; different finish on body and blade. There were quite a few finish variations on this model over it's run life.
Thanks for the information Bruce.
I sent an email to Joe Houser at Buck Knives and he told me some interesting info on the 560 & why there are so many variations of the finish.
The company that made the handles for your knife was located in Oregon. The factory burned down and and the company went out of business. Joe said that when titanium burns it's apparently very difficult to put out. I know there was a factory in Albany Oregon, about 12 miles south of me that produced titanium. However, I don't think they made the handles for Buck; they just produced the titanium metal.
Because that Buck could not get handles they discontinued the 560 for some time from their product line. When they located the new manufacturer of handles they came in with an anodized crystalline finish which is it different from the early versions of the 560 which were just blasted and sanded.
Joe said, “Then we found a new source and just by accident, when they made the handles, they had that cool crystal look to them. We liked it and added the 560 back to our line. These new 560's can be found with that champagne like color, or some will have more of a grey crystalline color. The supplier didn’t seem to have much control over that part of it. I rarely see the grey colored ones though.”

Joe also said he is planning to do a data sheet on the 560 later on this year that will be available to members of the Buck Collectors Club.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Excellent information Dale ::tu::

I have one exactly like the one Bruce has.
AAPK Janitor
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dimitri, I do believe I won my knife in a GAW that you sponsored! Thanks again, Bruce
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Is that where it went? ::doh:: :lol:

Your welcome Bruce! ::handshake:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Recently, I accidentally purchased this knife (box and sheath included). It's beautiful ::tu::
Buck 560 XLT-Ti Crystal.jpg
orvet wrote:Joe also said he is planning to do a data sheet on the 560 later on this year that will be available to members of the Buck Collectors Club.
Is there this data sheet now?
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I don't know Vit, I am not a member of the Buck Collectors Club.

Is there a member of BCC here who can post the info for Bit?
Dale
AAPK Administrator

fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::shrug:: Didnt some of those knives come with a special tool to disassemble? I remember seeing it at a knife show somewhere. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
junom

Post by junom »

Hi, it's BCCI just go to on any pc and you will find them, you can get all the info there and join on line easy and cheap. George God bless
junom

Post by junom »

The first titanium's had a different number I'm getting old and my memory is shot, anyway they came with a tool and they came apart they also had a blade holder to help you from getting cut. George

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”