Did Buck ever make a Barlow?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
MadTrapper

Did Buck ever make a Barlow?

Post by MadTrapper »

If so, what was the model #? USA made? Thanks much.
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless
#goldpan

Re: Did Buck ever make a Barlow?

Post by #goldpan »

Yes they did. I have a Buck Grand Daddy Barlow. Guessing by the way it looks it was made for them by Camillus. I'll see if I can find it and post a picture for you.

Randy
MadTrapper

Post by MadTrapper »

Much appreciated goldpan! Thank you.
useem

Post by useem »

They were made by Camillus as an SFO for Smoky Mountain Knife Works. The yellow handled ones are rare birds. Made both large and small barrows.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Here ya go! Hope the model numbers on the box are readable.
IMGP0008.JPG
IMGP0009.JPG
MadTrapper

Post by MadTrapper »

Thanks much useem and goldpan. That's what I was looking for. I thought that Buck had in fact made a Barlow but they're not so easy to find.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Here is some good information (and photo's) posted recently on the Buck Forum at Blade concerning the Buck Barlow knives. OH

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... uck+Barlow
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Yes, that link has a overview of the Buck marked Barlow info. We must be precise in the answer to MudTrappers question "Did BUCK ever make a Barlow." They were in fact made by Camillus, via special order to be sold by Smokey Mountain Knife Works with Buck on the bolsters. Notice none had model numbers stamped on the tangs. Camillus would make them ship them to Buck and Buck would re-box them and send them to SMKWs. Only sold a short time and not many were made. Check out the link for more details and photos of all of them. Camillus had some close copies of this design they sold with their own markings. And more than likely some other peoples markings as well. I think I am pretty close with my best guess of 1,000 each or less were made. But, I have a hunch much less than that of the jigged bone were made.

300Bucks ::tu::
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

You learn something New every day.
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”