Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Baykeeper

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Baykeeper »

300Bucks wrote:It's not my fault, I tried to warn him. But, would he listen..... ::groove::

Ha!! You are exactly right, you DID warn me!! I admit it's all my fault, at least that's what my mother used to tell me, so I may as well fess up. Thanks again, I always do exactly what I'm told not to do, and so glad I did it again this time!!
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

::ds::
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Picked this one up today at a local "indoor garage sale" at the local fairgrounds. Needs a couple of batteries(2032 button cells)to make the flashlight function again which will probably cost me more than I paid for the knife($5).Couldn't find a listing for one of these;is it a discontinued model? Buck 777T.
Attachments
BuckWhittaker777T-$5. 001.jpg
BuckWhittaker777T-$5. 002.jpg
BuckWhittaker777T-$5. 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Just catching up on some Buck's I've added in the last month. Two 300 series pocketknives from the late Camillus era at Buck and a 1972 built 103 Skinner that came in Friday's mail. OH
Attachments
Buck 301 by Camillus - model # on front tang (2).JPG
Buck 313 Muskrat (V2b - NOS).JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
63rdOVI

Post by 63rdOVI »

Just got these two Buck 301 Stockman knives in the mail today. I wanted the 301 Black Valox as a backup for my 301 Black Valox made in 1993, and the Rosewood Dymondwood version for dress.

Both are outstanding quality. What a great product.
Buck 301s.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

MAN 63rd ya hit the jackpot with those two ::tu:: ::tu::OH ya been shopping again great score love the 103 ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
63rdOVI

Post by 63rdOVI »

garddogg56 wrote:MAN 63rd ya hit the jackpot with those two ::tu:: ::tu::OH ya been shopping again great score love the 103 ::nod::
Yes, thanks! They are some nice knives. Took the rosewood out tonight to a meeting with some friends...
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

63rdOVI wrote:Just got these two Buck 301 Stockman knives in the mail today. I wanted the 301 Black Valox as a backup for my 301 Black Valox made in 1993, and the Rosewood Dymondwood version for dress.

Both are outstanding quality. What a great product.

Buck 301s.jpg
Hard to go wrong with a Buck Stockman - nice knives! OH
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Latest finds. 1988 #301 Stockman in Yellow Sawcut Delrin, (Buck-build), & '72-'86 #315 Yachtsman NIB w/papers, (Camillus-build). Why? The #301 to honor the birth year of a recently lost stepson, the #315 because I didn't have that version, (bolsterless), in my collection yet, (plus it came with that perfectly pristine box & papers). Though 28-40 years old both are in perfect unused condition.
Attachments
IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1180.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Baykeeper, I like the rigging knife. I have a similar knife that's a Kabar. I used it alot when I was building power lines. Here is my latest. A 112 with nickle silver bolsters. I am planning to modify by adding the Damascus blade and some fancy handles. I haven't figured what would look best yet. Add a cross draw sheath and edc this one. Anyone have any ideas on what handle material would look good with the Damascus blade?
20170421_174023.jpg
Thanks Monte
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

montemojo wrote:Baykeeper, I like the rigging knife. I have a similar knife that's a Kabar. I used it alot when I was building power lines. Here is my latest. A 112 with nickle silver bolsters. I am planning to modify by adding the Damascus blade and some fancy handles. I haven't figured what would look best yet. Add a cross draw sheath and edc this one. Anyone have any ideas on what handle material would look good with the Damascus blade? 20170421_174023.jpg

Thanks Monte
Can't wait to see that #112 when you are done with it. I have a couple of knives I would like to re-handle but just haven't found that round tuit yet.
Your Kabar was probably made by Camillus, most marlin spikes made in the US in that era under various brands including my #315 and your Kabar, were clones of the tried & true Camillus #96 Rigging Knife. I have one of those too, and also had a Kabar for a time, but it was a little rough so I later sold it to concentrate on the Bucks.
BCCI Member #2863
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

I tried differnt rigging knives on that job. The Kabar out performed the others. Just taking my time. Haven't figured out the handles. I'm stumped. I think mammoth tooth would look good. But still thinking there might be something else that will go with the lines in the Damascus better. I'm thinking a thumb stud added to the blade would be a good addition. It would have to match also.

Monte
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

montemojo wrote:I tried differnt rigging knives on that job. The Kabar out performed the others. Just taking my time. Haven't figured out the handles. I'm stumped. I think mammoth tooth would look good. But still thinking there might be something else that will go with the lines in the Damascus better. I'm thinking a thumb stud added to the blade would be a good addition. It would have to match also.

Monte
Hmmm, how about some highly figured exotic hardwoods to go with that Damascus, (of course carbon fiber/Kevlar also comes to mind.)? There are certainly a bunch of suitable choices out there. I have some stabilized Ovangkl and Bubinga I want to use for knife handles one of these days. Seems to me a light, highly grained Rosewood, (like Bubinga), would look good with Damascus, but that's just me; I like wood. Of course I also like Genuine Stag, so I guess I'm stumped too!!
BCCI Member #2863
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

I think you might be on to something with that bubinga. I have knives with spalted maple. I dont think that would fit cosmetically. I have thought about carbon fiber but I like the natural look. I have some iron wood its too plain. I looked at some ivory slabs at a show but it didnt have enough lines in it. I will see about that bubinga. Maybe I can find some to suit me. Thanks

Monte
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

montemojo wrote:I think you might be on to something with that bubinga. I have knives with spalted maple. I dont think that would fit cosmetically. I have thought about carbon fiber but I like the natural look. I have some iron wood its too plain. I looked at some ivory slabs at a show but it didnt have enough lines in it. I will see about that bubinga. Maybe I can find some to suit me. Thanks

Monte
Also look for Sapele, Boxelder, (burl), or even some of the exotic Walnuts. All can be found highly figured with variable color, and are hard enough to serve as scales. There are some exotic hardwood suppliers online, if I run across any I bookmarked I'll share.
BCCI Member #2863
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Baykeeper, I've been looking at some and found some box elder and others that caught my eye. Thanks!
Monte
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

montemojo wrote:Baykeeper, I like the rigging knife. I have a similar knife that's a Kabar. I used it alot when I was building power lines. Here is my latest. A 112 with nickle silver bolsters. I am planning to modify by adding the Damascus blade and some fancy handles. I haven't figured what would look best yet. Add a cross draw sheath and edc this one. Anyone have any ideas on what handle material would look good with the Damascus blade? 20170421_174023.jpg

Thanks Monte
I've never seen a 112 like that 8) when I worked sub-stations and wind turbines the 315 was the most popular knife in the yard ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I walked through the MCX at Camp Lejeune this afternoon, looking at fishing stuff after making my sales calls. The fishing gear is next to the knife aisle - had to look and see what was new. I've been looking at JerryD's Spitfire and Mini-Spitfire pictures so long that I couldn't put it off again - grabbed this gun metal gray Mini-Spitfire 726. It has a nice action and a very nice size for clipping onto your front pocket. OH
Attachments
Buck 726 MFG 2016 (1).JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

They feel good in the hand and IMO, they are well built knives Colonel. Especially for the price. I only bought one of the mini-spitfires because (for me) it was too small to handle comfortably. The full size Spitfires and Slimlines (same knife made for Wal-Mart) are more to my liking.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Jerry, I've carried the Mini-Spitfire around today - it is very solid, but as you mentioned a bit small (same length as my Case 6318). I have it clipped in my watch pocket - it does offer a heavier blade than I normally have on that size knife. I've been checking area Walmart's as I pass by - haven't found a Slimline yet, but there are plenty more stores to check. Thanks, OH
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Even though the Buck 721 Slim Line was made specifically for Wal-Mart, it appears they may have been discontinued. ::shrug::

However they are still available on Amazon. ---> https://www.amazon.com/Slim-Line-Knife- ... B00II4COKO

Saw the blue 722 Spitfire for the first time today (thought I had all the colors until today) and what's up with that? Almost twice the price of a Gray, Green or Orange 722 Spitfire? That's just nuts.

You should know the 721 Slim Line and the 722 Spitfire are only different in the profile of the handle and the inclusion or lack of a Swedge.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Dawn of a legend, 1966 Buck #301 Stockman by Schrade. This is one of the two models of the 300 Series introduced in '66, the other being the #303 Cadet, and both came with lined bolsters that one single year only, after that all models of the series came with plain bolsters. This one is in pristine condition with full, factory sharp tight blades, and little if any signs of usage.
Why? Because this was THE first of a famous series, (as if I needed an excuse)!
Attachments
IMG_1243.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

That's a fine, fine early 301 - congratulations on adding it to your collection. OH
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote:That's a fine, fine early 301 - congratulations on adding it to your collection. OH
Thanks OH, I seem to be addicted, and it looks like the collection will be quite large by the time I get an intervention! ::shrug::. So until then the quest for Buckgasm continues.
BCCI Member #2863
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I've been focusing on 3xx knives more lately. And speaking of "more", they sure do seem to cost it... :shock:
34978049975_d5ec702af0_b.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”