Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Glad to have you back. That's one fine piece of hardware you have there.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Bucksway,

Very nice and rare knife. However, your knife is NOT a 112, it is a BCCI Custom 110FG, produced in December 2005 timeline. Only 200 were made, and this knife configuration had never been done before...and not since. They sold for $120.00 to BCCI members only. Not sure how you were lucky enough to come by this knife, but consider yourself fortunate to be able to own such a rarity and exquisite knife. ::tu::
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 13.34.43.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 13.36.18.png
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
bertl

Post by bertl »

KLJ77 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:45 pm Bucksway,

Very nice and rare knife. However, your knife is NOT a 112, it is a BCCI Custom 110FG, produced in December 2005 timeline. Only 200 were made, and this knife configuration had never been done before...and not since. They sold for $120.00 to BCCI members only. Not sure how you were lucky enough to come by this knife, but consider yourself fortunate to be able to own such a rarity and exquisite knife. ::tu::
Compare the front bolster on the two knives.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I agree, there is a slight difference in the front bolster, but that doesn't mean it's not the BCCI 110FG from 2005. The photo is of pre-production, so one can only speculate that the bolster 'may' have been changed during production. I suppose, the only way to really know, is to send a photo to Buck and ask them if it is the same BCCI 110 of 2005. I still tend to believe that Bucksway's knife is the same. But, I've been wrong before.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
bertl

Post by bertl »

KLJ77 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:32 pm I agree, there is a slight difference in the front bolster, but that doesn't mean it's not the BCCI 110FG from 2005. The photo is of pre-production, so one can only speculate that the bolster 'may' have been changed during production. I suppose, the only way to really know, is to send a photo to Buck and ask them if it is the same BCCI 110 of 2005. I still tend to believe that Bucksway's knife is the same. But, I've been wrong before.
First, I think Bucksway can tell the difference between a 112 and a 110, and his brother can sure tell the difference between a 110 and a 112. Of course it's a minor point, but there is a difference in size. Here is another photo (not mine) of the knife.

Bert
161122023_1396898643980302_2753785903809257818_n.jpg
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Well...okay then, I stand corrected. My intent was not to imply you or Bucksway didn't know what you were talking about, but it seems it was an issue with you.
LJ

bertl

Post by bertl »

KLJ77 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:14 pm Well...okay then, I stand corrected. My intent was not to imply you or Bucksway didn't know what you were talking about, but it seems it was an issue with you.

The only issue is having correct identification. I think this is done.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

bertl wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:24 pm
KLJ77 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:14 pm Well...okay then, I stand corrected. My intent was not to imply you or Bucksway didn't know what you were talking about, but it seems it was an issue with you.

The only issue is having correct identification. I think this is done.
Yep....trust me, it WON'T happen again.
LJ

Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

Pictures can be deceiving so don't take offense..I have collected 112's since 2007 and in fact won the single model award from the BCCI 3 times between 207 and 2014..Drop point 112's have a very small footprint before 2012 after which SFO's and LE's made them more available. Because S30V is a very rare steel in any 112 and is almost unheard of in a DP especially with a 'Custom' tang stamp this is very unusual Buck. The fact that it's been as mirror polished as much as S30V can be and has exceptional matching Stag along with a stamped S30V instead of a etch at first led me to believe it was a modified 500 blade that Chuck and Leroy were playing with in the 80's. A few are known all were fancy handles Rams horn, Stag ,MOP ect. Furthermore Nickel silver frame 112's are extremely rare pre 1990. This 112 is from Ken Burns estate and if anyone would have a special 112 or Buck of any kind..He would. It could be a BCCI fundraiser from 2004 or so. Or Ken could have had it done to his specks. I'll be displaying this in Atlanta this year if I can physically go..
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Bucksway...I made an honest rookie mistake in posting the 110. I did not notice the difference in bolsters prior to posting. When you stated it was from a possible 2004-2005 BCCI fundraiser, I found the 110 under the 2005 newsletter and proceeded from there. In my haste in thinking I was 'helping' to identify the possible origins of your knife, I didn't' realize my error. And then someone else decided to butt in and make a huge issue out of this at my expense. :roll:

No offense taken from your point of view. Since this error on my part, I've come to discover that your expertise in 112 collecting is well known. My apologies to you for my mistake, and Thank You for being cordial in your reply. ::handshake::
LJ

Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

On another subject. It's always a long story with me, so here goes again. In my eternal quest for Buck 300 Series "versions", here is something I had heard about for years but never saw, even in a photo. I checked every #319 I saw on ebay for those multiple years, finally bought a "normal" threaded version for the collection, but though I diligently looked I just never found one with a smooth awl. So what is that mysterious knife? A 1972-1986 Camillus-made #319 Rancher, but with a smooth awl. I heard they existed. but I just never could find one. I'm not sure if that makes them rare or not but I finally found one for sale here on AAPK, shot the guy an offer, which he accepted, and bought it. I have one with a threaded awl, in fact I have two but this one will soon be in that spot of the complete collection. Not only because of the awl but because this one is pristine and looks like it was never used. Of course though nothing is easy for me so imagine my surprise when I opened that package and found the most beautiful #321 Bird Knife I ever saw, but no #319. I sent the seller a message, he got back to me and apologized, he had a surgery scheduled and had a friend pack and ship the knife, he just sent the wrong knife!. I was perfectly willing and offered to send it back for exchange, but the seller said no way, it was his fault and told me to keep it. He then went ahead and sent the #319 so I ended up with both. That's a twofer if I ever saw one, and a positive review of AAPK Stores. I would encourage all of you to check them out occasionally, it will be worth your time. I am especially pleased with the condition of both of them, there is nary a scratch on bolsters or blades, and only a little aging of the Delrin handles. In fact the bolsters on the #321 were the shiniest bolsters I ever saw on a knife! Now I have an even shinier complete collection of the '72-'86 300 Series than I did before, but also have both "versions" of the #319 Rancher in the collection, (two #321 Bird Knives too). Sorry for the low quality photos, but you get the idea.
I still look for the elusive #317 Trail Blazer with serrated secondary blade, but these finds will do for now, (or until the next time, lol). Cheers
Attachments
319b.jpg
319aa.jpg
319aa.jpg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
321a.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

Baykeeper wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:20 pm In my eternal quest for Buck 300 Series "versions", here is something I had heard about for years but never saw, even in a photo. I checked every #319 I saw on ebay for those multiple years, finally bought a "normal" threaded version for the collection, but though I diligently looked I just never found one with a smooth awl. So what is that mysterious knife? A 1972-1986 Camillus-made #319 Rancher, but with a smooth awl I heard they existed. but I just never could find one.

Syd, that's a good deal, especially two for the price of one. Since both the smooth and spiral awls are carbon steel instead of stainless, it can take a lot of looking to find one that's perfect.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:16 am
Baykeeper wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:20 pm
Syd, that's a good deal, especially two for the price of one. Since both the smooth and spiral awls are carbon steel instead of stainless, it can take a lot of looking to find one that's perfect.
Always good to hear from you Bert, and yes it was definitely fortunate happenstance for me this time. I'm just happy to have finally found this "version", and getting a perfect #321 too is a mega bonus. The AAPK Store has been good to me, this is probably the third or fourth time I have found hard to find Bucks there. I sincerely hope all is well with you and yours sir, it is always a treat to hear from you.
BCCI Member #2863
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

Finding one of your 'Grail' Bucks is a great moment in collecting. But there is a little sadness too that the great hunt is over. I've looked for one of the BG42 112's from Bucks reblade program in 2003 now since 2008. I had just one in my hand in 2009 but it was in a beat up ratty brass frame AND a high asking price. I didn't quite understand I could have had the blade pulled and put it in a decent handle and now I would buy it in a heartbeat! Find a new Quest in the 300 series..The hunt is what's important.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Baykeeper wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:20 pm On another subject. It's always a long story with me, so here goes again. In my eternal quest for Buck 300 Series "versions", here is something I had heard about for years but never saw, even in a photo. I checked every #319 I saw on ebay for those multiple years, finally bought a "normal" threaded version for the collection, but though I diligently looked I just never found one with a smooth awl. So what is that mysterious knife? A 1972-1986 Camillus-made #319 Rancher, but with a smooth awl. I heard they existed. but I just never could find one. I'm not sure if that makes them rare or not but I finally found one for sale here on AAPK, shot the guy an offer, which he accepted, and bought it. I have one with a threaded awl, in fact I have two but this one will soon be in that spot of the complete collection. Not only because of the awl but because this one is pristine and looks like it was never used. Of course though nothing is easy for me so imagine my surprise when I opened that package and found the most beautiful #321 Bird Knife I ever saw, but no #319. I sent the seller a message, he got back to me and apologized, he had a surgery scheduled and had a friend pack and ship the knife, he just sent the wrong knife!. I was perfectly willing and offered to send it back for exchange, but the seller said no way, it was his fault and told me to keep it. He then went ahead and sent the #319 so I ended up with both. That's a twofer if I ever saw one, and a positive review of AAPK Stores. I would encourage all of you to check them out occasionally, it will be worth your time. I am especially pleased with the condition of both of them, there is nary a scratch on bolsters or blades, and only a little aging of the Delrin handles. In fact the bolsters on the #321 were the shiniest bolsters I ever saw on a knife! Now I have an even shinier complete collection of the '72-'86 300 Series than I did before, but also have both "versions" of the #319 Rancher in the collection, (two #321 Bird Knives too). Sorry for the low quality photos, but you get the idea.
I still look for the elusive #317 Trail Blazer with serrated secondary blade, but these finds will do for now, (or until the next time, lol). Cheers
Great find and great story ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Unless if violates some protocol, who was the AAPK seller that was so stand up? Always good to know of good sellers.
Mike
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

My newest is from the Custom Shop. A 722 Spitfire with orange G-10 and s35vn steel.
Custom 722 7.JPG
Mike
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Breeze wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:48 pm My newest is from the Custom Shop. A 722 Spitfire with orange G-10 and s35vn steel.
Custom 722 7.JPG
::tu:: 8) ::tu:: LOOKS GOOD!!! ::handshake::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

jmh58 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:14 pm
Breeze wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:48 pm My newest is from the Custom Shop. A 722 Spitfire with orange G-10 and s35vn steel.
Custom 722 7.JPG
::tu:: 8) ::tu:: LOOKS GOOD!!! ::handshake::
John :D
Thanks John :)
I'm pretty happy with it ::super_happy::
Mike
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Custom 722 7.JPG
What's custom about it? Is it the steel and the G-10 handles? I'm a sucker for 722 Spitfires.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:34 pm
Custom 722 7.JPG
What's custom about it? Is it the steel and the G-10 handles? I'm a sucker for 722 Spitfires.
Yep!! 👊
John 🎩
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:34 pm What's custom about it? Is it the steel and the G-10 handles? I'm a sucker for 722 Spitfires.
jmh58 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:49 pm Yep!! 👊
John 🎩
John nailed it. The blade steel, handles, and the black hardware. Buck has a lot of options in the custom shop for the 722. I have a standard aluminum with 420hc, and one of the SK Blades Spitfire Extreme's from a couple of years ago with aluminum handles and s35vn steel. To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with Buck's standard 420hc steel. I wanted the G-10 handles and once I was going custom I decided to splurge and get the upgraded steel too.

If Buck ever puts the 726 in the custom shop they'll suck some more money out of me :)
Mike
eveled

Post by eveled »

200F4C98-027B-41A2-8691-AAFB33D4441D.jpeg
Got this lot from E-bay. Made an offer he made a fair counter offer I could not resist. I always wanted the hatchet with the phenolic handle. The hatchets sheaths are usually missing. The other knives are all in great shape, with flap over sheaths. The 107 is another one I always wanted. So it was a perfect score for me. Very pleased with the purchase even though it was more than I should have spent.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

eveled wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:24 pm 200F4C98-027B-41A2-8691-AAFB33D4441D.jpeg

Got this lot from E-bay. Made an offer he made a fair counter offer I could not resist. I always wanted the hatchet with the phenolic handle. The hatchets sheaths are usually missing. The other knives are all in great shape, with flap over sheaths. The 107 is another one I always wanted. So it was a perfect score for me. Very pleased with the purchase even though it was more than I should have spent.
::tu::
Mike
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Custom 722 7.JPG
That's really close to the one I'm building. I want a black Cerakote blade, but it ain't worth the extra $15 in my opinion. There are USA Bucks that cost that much alone.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

eveled wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:24 pm Got this lot from E-bay. Made an offer he made a fair counter offer I could not resist.
Who can blame you? They look to be in pretty dang good shape.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”