Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by garddogg56 »

I'd buy that in a heartbeat 8)
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Baykeeper wrote:My newest addition, 1990 #312BB Mini Trapper, NIB w/ papers. Why? Why not?? ::tu::
I believe Buck referred to this as "BuckBone" to differentiate from their Delrin sawcut offerings. I have the same knife (maybe same year?) without the box in similar minty condition and it didn't come cheap IIRC. Nice knife, though. My only bone Buck until I take delivery on the anniversary two-blade 110.
Baykeeper wrote:The Buck Trappers you routinely see for pittance prices on Ebay are imports though, but those with model numbers in the lower 300's are all US made. The #312, #314, #329, & #334 are ALL US-made, (and therefore MUCH more expensive). The US variety don't show up for sale near as often as the imports on the bay, so I'm not surprised you didn't see another like mine at this particular moment, (there IS a #314 listed right now though). I can't remember the import model numbers, but anything over #334 is imported.
I used to think the same thing but in an online purchase last year I bought a Buck 303 that turned out to have a China stamp! :shock: Since it was a 303, I had made the same assumption about its origin and probably paid too much for it (still on the order of $20ish instead of the $10 I'd normally expect to see it for). I'll track it down once I"m done with fall cleaning (and final hurricane yard cleanup) and get some photos. I'm still not sure how to explain it: Either Buck has 30x knives from the Pacific Rim now or in recent years or this is some sort of cobble/restamp/outright forgery -- but who would fake a small Buck slipjoint for $10 profit (minus labor)?? I've been meaning to post it in the Buck forum from time to time but I always find something to distract me. ::paranoid:: :mrgreen:
wazu013 wrote:Here's my last two Bucks.
Old Hunter wrote:I don't usually chase special editions, limited editions, etc., but I wanted to own this one. I organized our local FONRA committee in 1995, we had our first banquet in 1996. Except for a couple of years I have been on the committee since start-up - this year was the FONRA 25th anniversary and NRA offered several etched knives - two Buck's, a Case, and a custom. I got the Case and one of the Buck's, this 110 with an etched blade. OH
I'm thrilled to see NRA-etch knives that are actually made in the USA. There was a period of time when the NRA knives all seemed to be Pacific Rim, after the old Colonials were no longer available. Those Bucks are sweet and I really like that Case (saw it in another thread).
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
Baykeeper wrote:My newest addition, 1990 #312BB Mini Trapper, NIB w/ papers. Why? Why not?? ::tu::
I believe Buck referred to this as "BuckBone" to differentiate from their Delrin sawcut offerings. I have the same knife (maybe same year?) without the box in similar minty condition and it didn't come cheap IIRC. Nice knife, though. My only bone Buck until I take delivery on the anniversary two-blade 110.
Baykeeper wrote:The Buck Trappers you routinely see for pittance prices on Ebay are imports though, but those with model numbers in the lower 300's are all US made. The #312, #314, #329, & #334 are ALL US-made, (and therefore MUCH more expensive). The US variety don't show up for sale near as often as the imports on the bay, so I'm not surprised you didn't see another like mine at this particular moment, (there IS a #314 listed right now though). I can't remember the import model numbers, but anything over #334 is imported.
I used to think the same thing but in an online purchase last year I bought a Buck 303 that turned out to have a China stamp! :shock: Since it was a 303, I had made the same assumption about its origin and probably paid too much for it (still on the order of $20ish instead of the $10 I'd normally expect to see it for). I'll track it down once I"m done with fall cleaning (and final hurricane yard cleanup) and get some photos. I'm still not sure how to explain it: Either Buck has 30x knives from the Pacific Rim now or in recent years or this is some sort of cobble/restamp/outright forgery -- but who would fake a small Buck slipjoint for $10 profit (minus labor)?? I've been meaning to post it in the Buck forum from time to time but I always find something to distract me. ::paranoid:: :mrgreen:
Yes TB, they do (or did) call it "BuckBone", and there are a few (very few) of several 300 Series models from the 90's with genuine bone handles, I've even seen a few in genuine stag. The 312's from that time period are superb pocket knives whether bone or Delrin, and probably my all time favorite model. In my opinion that period of time produced some of the finest pocket knives Buck ever made.

This is the first time I've heard of a 303 from China, there is no mention of that in the database that I got from 300bucks, so I have no idea if yours is a "one off", a production model or just an aberration, would love to see a photo of it.
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks Dogg, I just couldn't resist on the Buck 110. They also auctioned off an Anniversary Buck 119 (75th for the Buck and 25th for FONRA - it was duel marked). I wanted that one two, but it went for nearly $500.00 - I found I could resist that!

Tsar Bomba, I agree - we get nice USA made knives each year for auctioning at the FONRA banquet, but the standard NRA membership drive knives all seem to be off-shore (except for a Buck 113 a few years back).

As to the 1990's era Buck 300 series Knives - I have to agree - that was Buck manufacturing quality at it's best.

OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

$500.00 GEZZ for a good cause ::hmm::
OleBuck

Post by OleBuck »

Tsar Bomba wrote: I used to think the same thing but in an online purchase last year I bought a Buck 303 that turned out to have a China stamp! :shock: Since it was a 303, I had made the same assumption about its origin and probably paid too much for it (still on the order of $20ish instead of the $10 I'd normally expect to see it for). I'll track it down once I"m done with fall cleaning (and final hurricane yard cleanup) and get some photos. I'm still not sure how to explain it: Either Buck has 30x knives from the Pacific Rim now or in recent years or this is some sort of cobble/restamp/outright forgery -- but who would fake a small Buck slipjoint for $10 profit (minus labor)?? I've been meaning to post it in the Buck forum from time to time but I always find something to distract me. ::paranoid:: :mrgreen:
The ChinaBuck model 303 is legitimate and not often found. This was Bucks first foray into having a slip joint pocket knife made in China, copying their popular 303 Cadet in style. You might almost consider it the prototype test run for Buck in having slip joint pocket knives manufactured in China. After this first knife, a wise decision was made to have all future Chinese made knives given a distinct model identity. They are now all in the 37X and 38X model numbers even though some of the styles are redundant. ie the 303 Cadet USA style is now designated 373 Trio if made in China. Hope this helps clarify what your knife is. /OB
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

I received a email from Buck 2 days ago about 14 limited production knives. One was a unique 112 I had to have for my rare and odd 112 collection. Nickel silver, real Cherrywood inlays and most importantly a S35VN blade. The run was for 46 and the cost was under 100.00 .Buck has only made a few model's with that steel and not very many at that. I missed the first 112 with S35VN the BCCI club copper model in 2015 and was lucky I got my order in as it sold out in about 2 hours. This one was a must have because few new 112's fit my collection of rare and odd. I'm really looking forward to FedEx for this one! The other 13 were mostly real fancy fixed blades but the 110 was a bare headed black micarta with a factory clip. .only 64 of them.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OleBuck and Bucksway

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Attachments
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

Yes. ..I went and bought another Buck! This one is a 2012 Ecolite 112. .Joe Houser was gracious enough to see I had one of the engineering samples made without the metal liner so I would have a true prototype 112. .I needed a regular Ecolite to put next to it in my display so that the difference between the two could be seen. Another member here offered me one at a more than fair price so now my display will be that much more complete. I'll get in trouble with KathyJo if I post in this thread to often lol!
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

Well, I've almost but not quite got in trouble with my wife for my next Buck. When I was talking to Elaine at Bucks customer service she told me about a oddball 112 customer returned 112 that was available if I wanted it. It's a nickel silver, mirror polished clip blade, a new blue wood that was a different color from the Web site description in the custom shop. ..It was discounted a little but the odd color was what sold me on it. I had my BCCI LM number engraved on the blade and my name on the bolsters. I justified the need for it as a label knife in my display lol! No more new Bucks till next year...I hope. ..
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Bucksway wrote:Well, I've almost but not quite got in trouble with my wife for my next Buck. When I was talking to Elaine at Bucks customer service she told me about a oddball 112 customer returned 112 that was available if I wanted it. It's a nickel silver, mirror polished clip blade, a new blue wood that was a different color from the Web site description in the custom shop. ..It was discounted a little but the odd color was what sold me on it. I had my BCCI LM number engraved on the blade and my name on the bolsters. I justified the need for it as a label knife in my display lol! No more new Bucks till next year...I hope. ..
Sounds worth a visit to the dog house, please post photos when you get the chance.
BCCI Member #2863
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Here is photo of the 'one and only ' imported Buck with 303 stamped on the tang. One and only meaning it was the first overseas 303 sized stockman imported by Buck. The next and rest of 303 copies have a different number. (373) China is stamped on the reverse tang......The second photo is a imported trapper that was a normal colored USA style 'brown' jigged bone. (Not shown) Why did I give it away? I went and looked for another brown one and this was the next batch. Which I don't favor for the red highlights. 300
Attachments
BuckChina2_edited-1.jpg
BuckChina06.jpg
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

300Bucks wrote:Here is photo of the 'one and only ' imported Buck with 303 stamped on the tang. One and only meaning it was the first overseas 303 sized stockman imported by Buck. The next and rest of 303 copies have a different number. (373) China is stamped on the reverse tang......The second photo is a imported trapper that was a normal colored USA style 'brown' jigged bone. (Not shown) Why did I give it away? I went and looked for another brown one and this was the next batch. Which I don't favor for the red highlights. 300
Thanks 300, now we know what might be out there; isn't that second photo a Muskrat?
BCCI Member #2863
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

I know China made 300 series Bucks are held in less regard by many collectors but in fact there well made and I think one day we will see displays of all the varations Buck created. Was there true stag or bone or other premium handle material ever in the China series? I can't remember seeing upgrade steels but a few of the combo sets looked expensive. .
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Grump01 »

Baykeeper wrote:
300Bucks wrote:Here is photo of the 'one and only ' imported Buck with 303 stamped on the tang. One and only meaning it was the first overseas 303 sized stockman imported by Buck. The next and rest of 303 copies have a different number. (373) China is stamped on the reverse tang......The second photo is a imported trapper that was a normal colored USA style 'brown' jigged bone. (Not shown) Why did I give it away? I went and looked for another brown one and this was the next batch. Which I don't favor for the red highlights. 300
Thanks 300, now we know what might be out there; isn't that second photo a Muskrat?
I believe that the 2nd is a moose. A Trapper would have both hinge on the same end and a Muskrat would have 2clip blades. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.
Don
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

My bad. I do believe it fits in the Muskrat description. If you look in a Buck catalog they probably have one there. It is not a large folder, almost same size as a 303, I would consider a Moose to be a 301 or 307 two blade sized folder. Bucks Camillus history of 313s call the two blade , near 301 sized, knife a Muskrat. I consider Muskrats may have two different blades or just clips on both ends. 300
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Was gifted a buck 285 just in time for Veterans Day she'll see sum hunting time this fall ::super_happy::
Attachments
IMG_0490.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I have one of those "dogg". Picked it up at Wal-Mart about 3 years ago. I like it's looks and the way it handles. Should have dug it out for yesterday but that would have been too much trouble for just laying about the house all day in my skivvies. :mrgreen: Congratulations on your acquisition and ::tu:: to the gifter.
Attachments
Buck 285 Bantam® BLW Flag - 4-3 eighths inches closed.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Just picked up these four little beauties from RailSplitter.

The why part? I bought a new Buck knife about 2 months ago. The Large Vantage, and it came out of the box as the sharpest knife I own. (240 ish knives).
Plus as every other person alive I have owned several Buck knives throughout my life, and they were always just what you expected them to be.

So when RailSplitter offered a group of four Bucks from the 70's-90's in Mint condition I had to jump.

My newest Bucks...
(copy/paste)
1986 Buck 703 (three blade Stockman configuration)
1979-1985 Buck 704 (single Clip blade)
1984-1985 Buck 505 stamped with only a single dot. No date symbol. Link below with some brief information.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/505 ... t-17253790
2000 Buck 709 with no shield (Clip and Pen blades)
Attachments
IMG_3521.JPG
IMG_1879.JPG
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

300Bucks wrote:My bad. I do believe it fits in the Muskrat description. If you look in a Buck catalog they probably have one there. It is not a large folder, almost same size as a 303, I would consider a Moose to be a 301 or 307 two blade sized folder. Bucks Camillus history of 313s call the two blade , near 301 sized, knife a Muskrat. I consider Muskrats may have two different blades or just clips on both ends. 300
Yup, Muskrat, a Moose would be a larger knife in general. In fact I can't find any reference to Buck ever offering a Moose at all, (here is yet another chance for 300bucks to scold and correct me). A #313 Muskrat was the first pocket knife I ever bought for myself back in '72-'73, (along with a #305, both of which I still have). There aren't any Muskrat versions currently listed on the Buck website that I could find, too bad. I'm finding that the rarest of the rare 300 Series are #313 Muskrats in alternate handle colors. I've seen photos of a Yellow Sawcut Delrin, (thanks to 300bucks), and saw a yellow one for sale online a couple of years back, (went far north of $100); therefore my "version" hunt continues.
Nice knives fellas!
BCCI Member #2863
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

I'm going to have a happy Honnica this year! My brother just sent me 2 really nice Bucks..The first and the one that got me excited was a Damascus brass frame Stag 112 that was a Buck employees knife. A rarely seen 112 it has honey toned stag on one side and more white on the other. .The other is a rare blade cutout deer head in a brass frame regular wood handles .Sometime next year I will send it to Leroy and have some kind of horn put on as any blade cutout for a 112 is hard to find and this one is worthy of Leroy's talents. .Because it's a gift I was not in trouble with KathyJo. .
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

And the fun continues. Just received this 1990 Buck #314 Buckbone Trapper, to go along with the 1990 #312 Buckbone Mini Trapper I already had, (for those who don't know these were completely US-made). In my opinion the 1990's were the epitome of Buck's in-house 300 Series production, as opposed to the earlier Camillus-made 300 Series knives, (which were nice but not AS nice). These San Diego-made knives were simply superb, far exceeding current production models IMHO. So here it is in all of it's hollow ground glory, along with it's little brother.
Attachments
IMG_1517.JPG
IMG_1519.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

You gents have been racking up some nice Bucks.

Those bone handled trappers are just perfect! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Who Knew that Buck made bone handled knives... I didn't!

I just received my four little beauties that I posted above, and I have to say that they are so sterile that I won't photograph them in fear of hurting them with camera light. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They came in a box that was inside a box that was inside another 12 boxes.
I needed to go get a butcher knife to open the last box. Then they were in Bubble wrap, packing tape, tissue paper, and finally another box. Then the real unwrapping began.
Dratt! Sharpen the knife again, and start opening... 4 of the most stunning Bucks that "I" have ever seen.
pluss another gift...
Mr Rick T (RailSplitter) sent a ::censored:: BEAUTIFUL Case knife in another 14 boxes, and 12 layers of tissue, and BBL wrap.
I'm hitting the fun time so I will post more on an appropriate thread but THANK YOU SIR!
I don't know how to express how I feel... ::not_worthy::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote:You gents have been racking up some nice Bucks.

Those bone handled trappers are just perfect! OH
Agreed OH, must have been all that salt air in San Diego.
BCCI Member #2863

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”