Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
7wounds

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by 7wounds »

I just picked up this buck 176 carbon fiber handle today, was made in the year 2000, don’t know much else about it but only paid $50 for it. Can anyone explain this knife away? What is it worth etc.? Thank you in advance.
Attachments
87EEB4E6-C1E8-4258-898C-713A995BCD50.jpeg
C26812DF-3F8B-4B4E-A046-7FF467E6EA16.jpeg
AE309059-27F5-4B69-8144-E7F8B92A3B10.jpeg
EF0D9F7D-19C6-4FAB-BC31-789D299678C3.jpeg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC04970.JPG
How about a BUCK Smidgeon.. Why.. Cause I wanted it!! ::nod:: :lol:
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I posted this elsewhere today but it belongs here too. A Model 121. I picked this up at a flea market after I left a local knife show. Mostly out of money but had some trade goods so I figured something could be worked out if I saw something. I ran across this Buck. I knew enough about the stamp to know it was an older knife. Can any of the Buck experts say weather the blade looks right? The knife dates to 67 to 71. It came with what I think is the correct sheath but it doesn't have the model # stamped on the back. The knife fits perfectly. Is the missing number significant?
Attachments
Buck 121 and sheath.JPG
Buck 121 67 to 71.JPG
steve99f
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Steve, the knife looks all correct to me. The 121 knives from that era have thin blades, high quality filet knives - love mine. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

OH

Thanks! After I examined it a bit I was pretty sure it needed to come home with me. I checked on the 'bay and found out the model # and then did some looking here to see what could be found out. It's a keeper.
steve99f
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::tu::
jmh58 wrote:DSC04970.JPG

How about a BUCK Smidgeon.. Why.. Cause I wanted it!! ::nod:: :lol:
I like it jmh.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

steve99f wrote:I posted this elsewhere today but it belongs here too. A Model 121. I picked this up at a flea market after I left a local knife show. Mostly out of money but had some trade goods so I figured something could be worked out if I saw something. I ran across this Buck. I knew enough about the stamp to know it was an older knife. Can any of the Buck experts say weather the blade looks right? The knife dates to 67 to 71. It came with what I think is the correct sheath but it doesn't have the model # stamped on the back. The knife fits perfectly. Is the missing number significant?
Nice pick up Steve, I also like those slim blade Bucks.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

doglegg

Thanks! This blade is about 1/8th in thick. A little less than that though. Pretty stiff, no flex so maybe made before Buck decided to use the pattern as a filet/fish knife.
steve99f
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

If the blade is 1/8" thick are you certain it isn't a Buck 105? OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
OleBuck

Post by OleBuck »

Yes, as OH suggests, it is a 105 Pathfinder c.1967-1969.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

My late cousin bought this Buck 105 Pathfinder on 28 JUN 66, it's a one line with a dot (no one is really sure what the dot means). My cousin was excellent at dating what he bought and keeping the boxes and paperwork. He passed away six weeks ago at the age of 88, a well liked and well respected gentleman. His wife gave me this knife, I sharpened it yesterday and fully intend to use it for the next few seasons (end of turkey and deer next fall). My cousin was my mentor and friend, I'm proud to own his Buck Knife. OH
Attachments
Buck 105 Pathfinder - 1966 with box & papers.jpg
Buck 105 Pathfinder - 1966 (as received).jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bruce, what a wonderful gift to you to remember a special man! That is really great. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

OH, that's pretty special in a bunch of ways. ____Dave
Producer

Post by Producer »

Nice OH, very nice all around.
I never met a Schrade I didn't like
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I have been trying to find a picture of my cousin Mac, this is the best I can do; I took command of the 167th MP BN in JAN 1995. This picture is of all the former 167th MP BN commanders who attended the change of command ceremony, those in civilian clothes were retired. I'm the Major(P) in uniform on one side of the picture, my cousin Mac, the senior of this group (having retired as an ARNG Brigade Commanding General (BG) in 1986) is on the opposite side. We are lined up in order of command, but missing at least one former commander, maybe two - those were good days! OH
Attachments
167th Battalion Commanders - Winter 1995.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Very cool photo of a very special day, OH! ::tu::

Why don't we have a "salute" smiley anyway? ::hmm::

My newest Buck is this 501 "Squire" from our very own AAPK stores. Why? Because I didn't have one. :mrgreen:
41216889284_d04e3229e6_k.jpg
The price was definitely right. My only issue with the knife, which was meant to be a user anyway, is that it has a slight bit of side-to-side wobble when the blade is locked open. Since I didn't pay much for the knife, I didn't want to bother the seller over it, but I am interested in seeing what the manufacturer can do. What is entailed by the fabled "Buck spa treatment" I've heard about so many times? What does it generally cost and what does that do for the knife? I'm not averse to touching up a venerable knife up for many future years of service at a nominal cost, and this one is in good shape to start with.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Old Hunter wrote:If the blade is 1/8" thick are you certain it isn't a Buck 105? OH

I'm not OH. The blade does not flex as you would expect a filet knife to flex. It's stout.
steve99f
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Old Hunter wrote:My late cousin bought this Buck 105 Pathfinder on 28 JUN 66, it's a one line with a dot (no one is really sure what the dot means). My cousin was excellent at dating what he bought and keeping the boxes and paperwork. He passed away six weeks ago at the age of 88, a well liked and well respected gentleman. His wife gave me this knife, I sharpened it yesterday and fully intend to use it for the next few seasons (end of turkey and deer next fall). My cousin was my mentor and friend, I'm proud to own his Buck Knife. OH
Sorry for your loss OH. I like how you will use that knife.
steve99f
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Steve, I just took this photo of the Buck 118, 105, and 121; these are older, tip down models from the mid 60’s to early 70’s. That era had much more knife to knife variance than we see in the modern era. Compare your knife to the 105 (center) and see if it doesn’t match up. OH
Attachments
B818053E-2A99-4CA9-BA87-EA36BDCAF2C6.jpeg
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Tsar Bomba wrote:Very cool photo of a very special day, OH! ::tu::

Why don't we have a "salute" smiley anyway? ::hmm::

My newest Buck is this 501 "Squire" from our very own AAPK stores. Why? Because I didn't have one. :mrgreen:

41216889284_d04e3229e6_k.jpg
The price was definitely right. My only issue with the knife, which was meant to be a user anyway, is that it has a slight bit of side-to-side wobble when the blade is locked open. Since I didn't pay much for the knife, I didn't want to bother the seller over it, but I am interested in seeing what the manufacturer can do. What is entailed by the fabled "Buck spa treatment" I've heard about so many times? What does it generally cost and what does that do for the knife? I'm not averse to touching up a venerable knife up for many future years of service at a nominal cost, and this one is in good shape to start with.
Tsar, the "spa treatment" consists of a good factory sharpening, cleaning, buffing, and if you ask them to they would probably do a general tightening. All for a princely sum of under $10 plus postage, sharpening alone costs $6.95; here is a link to their repair/sharpening form used by the warranty dept: https://www.buckknives.com/pdf/WarrantyForm_072016.pdf. I've sent in a couple of 110's with just "repair/sharpen as needed" on the form and got a shinier-than-new & factory sharp knife back in return; well worth the effort.
BCCI Member #2863
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Old Hunter wrote:Steve, I just took this photo of the Buck 118, 105, and 121; these are older, tip down models from the mid 60’s to early 70’s. That era had much more knife to knife variance than we see in the modern era. Compare your knife to the 105 (center) and see if it doesn’t match up. OH
It looks like it could be either, OH. The blade measures 5 inches from the guard. The sheath isn't stamped with a model number. However, if the 121 blade flexes as a filet blade should and mine doesn't, it must be a 105, if the blade lengths are the same. Thanks for your help.
steve99f
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Steve, just measured 3 of my Buck 121 (all pre-date code knives) - two measure 5-7/16" (my most worn two) and the oldest one (least used) measures 5-9/16". I have one Buck 105 in the house (a 1976 vintage knife) - it measures 5-1/16". You've got a Buck 105 Pathfinder. Early Buck 121 knives flexed, they got progressively thicker until it became the 121 Guide and was no longer the 121 Fisherman model. OH
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Tony, nice Buck 501. I have an early one, named the Esquire, which I carry occasionally - IMO it's the best of the pocketable lockbacks. OH
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Baykeeper wrote:Tsar, the "spa treatment" consists of a good factory sharpening, cleaning, buffing, and if you ask them to they would probably do a general tightening. All for a princely sum of under $10 plus postage, sharpening alone costs $6.95; here is a link to their repair/sharpening form used by the warranty dept: https://www.buckknives.com/pdf/WarrantyForm_072016.pdf. I've sent in a couple of 110's with just "repair/sharpen as needed" on the form and got a shinier-than-new & factory sharp knife back in return; well worth the effort.
That's great news and money well worth spending, thanks for the info! ::handshake:: I suspect I'll take the time to send this 501 in to the "spa" as well as one or two others I may have that could use a little TLC.
Old Hunter wrote:Tony, nice Buck 501. I have an early one, named the Esquire, which I carry occasionally - IMO it's the best of the pocketable lockbacks. OH
I can see why, OH. How old is the Esquire? I'm really only familiar with the dating of 110s, 112s and a few of the 3xx and 7xx slipjoints. I'm still uncovering tidbits about Buck history all the time. I was surprised at how the 501 vanishes in the pocket considering it came with a belt sheath! :lol:
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

The 501 Esquire was the original variation and name for the Buck 501. It has Olde English script on the tang stamp and deep red Micarta scales. The very first issued had an exposed rocker pin, but that didn’t last long. IIRC the date on the knives with these features was early 1980’s. OH
Attachments
D55B1ACF-16AF-4F70-80D4-0771542ECFBD.jpeg

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”