Buck 102 Woodsman, 105 Pathfinder, etc.

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Old Hunter

Buck 102 Woodsman, 105 Pathfinder, etc.

Post by Old Hunter »

I searched for a thread dedicated to traditional Buck fixed blade knives and didn't find one. I have a few and wanted a venue to show them and see those owned by others, so here is a start. I obtained the 102 yesterday from a hunting partner who sold it to me on behalf of his brother - says it is about 30 years old (give or take) and he never used it. It sure looks unused to me.

I have displayed my 105 Pathfinder before, but not in a dedicated Buck thread. I bought this one at the PX at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD in 1976 and used it as my only deer skinning knife until November 1998. According to my hunting journal I skinned a deer with it on 11-11-98, after that I switched to a Western gut-hook drop point knife.

Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Buck 102 Woodsman, 105 Pathfinder, etc.

Post by garddogg56 »

Nice Oldhunter ::tu:: I like my 119 but I want to get a smaller fixed blade ::hmm::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I was hoping to see pictures of some of the many fixed blade knives that Buck has made over the years, but then this is a pocket knife forum! I had a NIB 119 for several years, probably from the late 1980's, but never used it - gave it away as a retirement gift to a friend several years ago - probably should look for one of the limited issues of that knife to add to my Buck collection.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

As promised over in the 110 thread, here are the pictures of my buddies unused, circa 1968, Buck 105 - he still has the box it came in!
Attachments
DSC04508.JPG
DSC04510.JPG
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

This is the only Buck fixed blade I own a 119 ::shrug:: For fixed blades I like Schrade and Westerns but my favorite by far is the Olsen ::nod::Other than that it's all about my 110 ::ds::
Attachments
dscn1235.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
johnny twoshoes

Post by johnny twoshoes »

Great thread. ::tu::

I love the 102 woodsman, one of my first Buck knives and the model I had on my hip when I shot my first deer. My Dad was using one that day as well and showed me the processes in cleaning a deer with the 102. great knife and perfect for a lot of chores.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”