Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Railsplitter »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:12 pm
I had found a couple of those in clam paks at fire sale prices and sent one to my grandson when he was in Korea. He did not secure it and it was stolen so when he got back to the states, I sent the other one to him (yeah, I know. Good money after bad but he's my grandson and he really likes the knife.)

I have all three of the Walmart Slimline 721's colors plus all three of their Spitfire 722 cousins. I also have 722's in yellow, red and blue. That should be enough for now. Oh yeah, I also have one of the 726 Mini Spitfires in orange. Was going to acquire all three colors of those but they're too small to feel comfortable in my hand.

Puzzles me what makes the white 722's so blasted expensive. Too rich for my blood.
Right on Jerry. ::tu::

I can't speak for some of the other models but I think what drives the cost up for the Black and White Copper & Clad 722 is that the handle and the blade are both treated with a Cerakote coating. I don't know it for a fact but I think that's a more expensive process than Anodizing aluminum.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Railsplitter wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:43 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:12 pm
I had found a couple of those in clam paks at fire sale prices and sent one to my grandson when he was in Korea. He did not secure it and it was stolen so when he got back to the states, I sent the other one to him (yeah, I know. Good money after bad but he's my grandson and he really likes the knife.)

I have all three of the Walmart Slimline 721's colors plus all three of their Spitfire 722 cousins. I also have 722's in yellow, red and blue. That should be enough for now. Oh yeah, I also have one of the 726 Mini Spitfires in orange. Was going to acquire all three colors of those but they're too small to feel comfortable in my hand.

Puzzles me what makes the white 722's so blasted expensive. Too rich for my blood.
Right on Jerry. ::tu::

I can't speak for some of the other models but I think what drives the cost up for the Black and White Copper & Clad 722 is that the handle and the blade are both treated with a Cerakote coating. I don't know it for a fact but I think that's a more expensive process than Anodizing aluminum.
You're probably right.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

This showed up in the mailbox today.
Attachments
Buck 2020 Spitfire - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

2014 Buck 284 Bantam BLW "Jennmar". Purchased for my collection of coal mining-related knives. My Granddad was in the industry for more than 20 years, entering the coal mining industry in the mid-'70s, after moving back from NC after a disastrous transfer; after the fabric dyeing plant he worked at in Falls Mills for about 15 years before that closed; and he was transferred to Concord, NC. High crime and a tornado didn't help. He quit and moved back. He then worked underground until 1988, when he was laid off. Then, he worked on the business/sales side; first delivering mining bits for Carmet, then working for two different businessmen, who both owned mines, and also refurbished/sold used mining equipment. I was born in 1996; and since my grandparents raised me, he retired in 1998, just before I turned two. The truck he recently gave me was purchased as a retirement gift for himself; and the color was selected by me due to being "Barney" purple (Deep Amethyst Pearl as it's called in the spec sheets and brochures). The truck it replaced (a 1987 Ford F-250) is soon to be bought by me as well. Dad owned it for 5 years, selling it to buy a brand new 2004 F-250 Super Duty (which got totaled 3-4 years ago; replaced with a 2012 F-150); and a neighbor bought it. Looked not too bad when Dad sold it, but it's awful looking now. He's not using it, and I'm looking at buying it to make a farm truck. Going to add some toolboxes, a heavy brushguard, and a 15000 lb. winch. And new tires, and brakes, because well, DUH!

The same seller also had a number of coal mining stickers; from the 1980s to 2010s (which I presume was his career). I bought over a dozen, but selected fairly local companies to display; though 3/4 at least have offices within an hour of here. I can easily tell you where Bucyrus and Gould Batteries are located, and I've got a rough idea where Tamrock Coal was (they closed in 2003, and I think the plant remains vacant, with signage intact). I actually forgot a conveyor company that I looked up just now in the Yellow Pages, and I just went down the same road they are located Wednesday!

Too bad Bluefield Coal Show got canceled for this summer (normally, it would be about two weeks from now), due to the big national one in Las Vegas being canceled last year (well, you probably know why). Both are once-every-two-year shows, and they alternate. Might have been able to score some more hardhat stickers, as well as possibly some knives and small tools (I really like pocket screwdrivers, and er, until recently 75% of my pens and pencils came from trade shows--can't recall buying a pen or a pack of pencils until I was 19 or 20). As someone entering the workforce, I can easily go without having to necessarily work in the mining industry.

KIMG4477.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My Buck 722 family on the left side. The three in the top right corner are 721's, exclusive for Walmart.
Attachments
Buck 722 Spitfires - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:54 pm My Buck 722 family on the left side. The three in the top right corner are 721's, exclusive for Walmart.
Great collection Jerry! I can see the slight difference in the 722 and 721 patterns. I like that 055 too.
Rick T.

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Looks Good jerry!! 👍👏👍
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:20 pm I like that 055 too.
The 055 was a birthday gift from one of my buddies several years ago. I carried it for a short time and broke the tip off while doing something stupid. Sent it in to Buck and had the blade replaced. When it came home, I put it away and there it's stayed ever since and there it will stay for the foreseeable future.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:53 pm The 055 was a birthday gift from one of my buddies several years ago. I carried it for a short time and broke the tip off while doing something stupid. Sent it in to Buck and had the blade replaced. When it came home, I put it away and there it's stayed ever since and there it will stay for the foreseeable future.
Thank goodness for Buck's blade replacement program. It's a pretty nice service for the small fee that they charge.

I have just one 055. Mine has a Drop Point blade but I'd still like to get this Buck Of The Month 055 that I've been seeking out for some time now. I have a line on one right now but I don't want to pay the seller's price. I might cave in and buy it anyway because this particular model has proven difficult to find. I've been chewing on his offer for a couple weeks now and he may have already sold it.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... ck#p771370
Rick T.

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I was looking for a one-hand opening locking knife that wouldn't break the bank. So I picked up a Buck 112. Rick (Railsplitter) wanted to hear my thoughts on it, so I whipped up this little video.

In brief, it's not perfect, but for the price, it's excellent.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:05 am I was looking for a one-hand opening locking knife that wouldn't break the bank. So I picked up a Buck 112. Rick (Railsplitter) wanted to hear my thoughts on it, so I whipped up this little video.

In brief, it's not perfect, but for the price, it's excellent.
Excellent review Dan. Thank you for doing that. ::handshake::
Rick T.

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Railsplitter wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:46 am Excellent review Dan. Thank you for doing that.
You are very welcome!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Nice review, Dan. Question: Those nubs on the top back of the blade and the spring...do they cause a 'hot spot' when you're gripping or placing your thumb on them? I've never seen those before. Something new Buck has done to the Slimline?
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

KLJ77 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:14 pm Nice review, Dan. Question: Those nubs on the top back of the blade and the spring...do they cause a 'hot spot' when you're gripping or placing your thumb on them? I've never seen those before. Something new Buck has done to the Slimline?
I have one of the SKBlades exclusive 110's called "The Shield". Mine has that little nub too but mine only has it on the backspring, not on the blade like Dan's 112. You can just barely see it sticking out in this picture.

I read somewhere why Buck does this but I can't for the life of me remember the reason. It was something legitimate. I'll see if I can find the post. I believe it was posted by Jeff Hubbard at Buck.
Attachments
IMG_5089.JPG
Rick T.

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Interesting, Rick. Thanks for the insight. ::handshake::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

KLJ77 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:14 pm Those nubs on the top back of the blade and the spring...do they cause a 'hot spot' when you're gripping or placing your thumb on them?
I would say they have great potential to do so. Since I don't often place my thumb in such a position, they probably wouldn't bug me much. Glad you enjoyed the video, and thanks for watching!
USN 2000-2006
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

I added three to the fleet with one click. Stumbled across listing on eBay for three knives in unboxed but unused condition. Less than $100 for the pile, I couldn’t resist.

I’d been thinking about a 119 for a long time. Now I can think about something else.

I’d never buy a Decatur on its own, being Chinese made, but since it was included I’ll give it a spin.

And 110s are like potato chips, you can always have one more!
Attachments
43F9322C-773D-4155-9103-2901220387C6.jpeg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:54 am I added three to the fleet with one click. Stumbled across listing on eBay for three knives in unboxed but unused condition. Less than $100 for the pile, I couldn’t resist.

I’d been thinking about a 119 for a long time. Now I can think about something else.

I’d never buy a Decatur on its own, being Chinese made, but since it was included I’ll give it a spin.

And 110s are like potato chips, you can always have one more!
Congrats!! ::handshake:: Nice line-up!!! ::tu::
John :D

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Willie, that would’ve been a hard deal to pass up - nice couple of Buck Knives. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

jmh58 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:52 am Congrats!! ::handshake:: Nice line-up!!! ::tu::
Old Hunter wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:04 pm Willie, that would’ve been a hard deal to pass up - nice couple of Buck Knives. OH
I thought about it long and hard. For about one and a half seconds! :mrgreen:
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

My new Buck 500 with it's second cousin. I've wanted one for a while so ordered it from Copper & Clad. I gotta say I'm not really impressed. I'm used to a 110 or 112 so the 500 seems a bit less sturdy? I know it's not but that's the impression it gives me. It is nicely finished so I'll use it for dress...but I never dress up!
Attachments
20210611_064049_HDR.jpg
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Byrd wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:57 am My new Buck 500 with it's second cousin. I've wanted one for a while so ordered it from Copper & Clad. I gotta say I'm not really impressed. I'm used to a 110 or 112 so the 500 seems a bit less sturdy? I know it's not but that's the impression it gives me. It is nicely finished so I'll use it for dress...but I never dress up!
Good looking 500.

I recently got my first 500 and I can understand your impressions. It's a great knife and very well made but the standard 112 blows it away. The in-hand feel is no contest. I like my 500 and I would probably love it if I didn't have a few 112's to compare it to.
Rick T.

Azretired

Post by Azretired »

I just ordered a LNIB 110 LT off Ebay, should have it in a day or two.Why,because I don't have one and they use a real 110 blade unlike the new 110/112 light weight models.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

The Compadre.....Why? Well, just look at 'er! ;-)
Attachments
20210610_125453.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice BUCK pick-ups ALL !!! ::tu:: 8) ::tu::

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”