Buck Steel Questions

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Mad German

Buck Steel Questions

Post by Mad German »

What steels has Buck used over the years and when did they change? Any advantages / disadvantages of one steel over another? I’m a light/casual user. I’m not a steel snob, haha.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Buck Steel Questions

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

The classic Buck steel on USA-made knives is 420HC. Buck has a proprietary heat-treating that is usually considered to be quite good and makes the Buck 420 steel significantly better at holding an edge than plain-jane 420. The China-made knives have been advertised with 420J2. I really don't know much about it. Both work fine for me.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

These are the only ones I know but there have been more:

440C
425M
420HC
BG42
S30V

I know very little about when Buck changed from one steel to another and what I think I know is probably wrong.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Prior to 1981, buck used 440C (58 HRc) steel in all their knives. Since then they have made 420HC (58 HRc) their primary steel. They use others. I like their Bos heat treated S30V Steel (59.5-61 HRc).
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: I believe they also have 154 CM. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”