Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Baykeeper

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Baykeeper »

americanedgetech wrote:Who Knew that Buck made bone handled knives... I didn't!
Yup, several different varieties too, and several different model lines including 300 Series and #110's/#112's. They came in jigged brown, jigged red and also smooth bone. There is a smooth blue sailing on the bay right now in fact, (as well as several jigged brown). Buck routinely offers bone handles as a custom option on various models to this day.
BCCI Member #2863
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I just received my four little beauties that I posted above, and I have to say that they are so sterile that I won't photograph them in fear of hurting them with camera light. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They came in a box that was inside a box that was inside another 12 boxes.
I needed to go get a butcher knife to open the last box. Then they were in Bubble wrap, packing tape, tissue paper, and finally another box. Then the real unwrapping began.
Dratt! Sharpen the knife again, and start opening... 4 of the most stunning Bucks that "I" have ever seen.
pluss another gift...
Mr Rick T (RailSplitter) sent a ::censored:: BEAUTIFUL Case knife in another 14 boxes, and 12 layers of tissue, and BBL wrap.
I'm hitting the fun time so I will post more on an appropriate thread but THANK YOU SIR!
I don't know how to express how I feel... ::not_worthy::
Glad you like the package, Ken. :D ::tu::
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Baykeeper wrote:
Yup, several different varieties too, and several different model lines including 300 Series and #110's/#112's. They came in jigged brown, jigged red and also smooth bone. There is a smooth blue sailing on the bay right now in fact, (as well as several jigged brown). Buck routinely offers bone handles as a custom option on various models to this day.

PLEASE don't mention FleaBay...
Thank you for the information on Bucks but I have to call my sponsor now. My name is Ken, and I am addicted to buying knives... :oops:
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
americanedgetech

Railsplitter wrote:

I just received my four little beauties that I posted above, and I have to say that they are so sterile that I won't photograph them in fear of hurting them with camera light. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They came in a box that was inside a box that was inside another 12 boxes.
I needed to go get a butcher knife to open the last box. Then they were in Bubble wrap, packing tape, tissue paper, and finally another box. Then the real unwrapping began.
Dratt! Sharpen the knife again, and start opening... 4 of the most stunning Bucks that "I" have ever seen.
pluss another gift...
Mr Rick T (RailSplitter) sent a ::censored:: BEAUTIFUL Case knife in another 14 boxes, and 12 layers of tissue, and BBL wrap.
I'm hitting the fun time so I will post more on an appropriate thread but THANK YOU SIR!
I don't know how to express how I feel... ::not_worthy::
Glad you like the package, Ken. :D ::tu::
More than love it sir... These are the most perfect knives I have bought. Flawless!
Thank YOU! ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

americanedgetech wrote:
Baykeeper wrote:

PLEASE don't mention FleaBay...
Thank you for the information on Bucks but I have to call my sponsor now. My name is Ken, and I am addicted to buying knives... :oops:
Who me? I would never do such a thing! :roll: I wouldn't hesitate to enable your addiction though, I'll fess up to that, tell your sponsor it's all my fault. ::shrug::
BCCI Member #2863
americanedgetech

My sponsor reports directly to my federal parole officer.
If you want to provide an alibi Bro... be prepared for an inquest. Those jokers have NO sense of humor... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. I was NEVER convicted of National Knife Fraud! It was just a supposition.. ::nod:: Then I got my dynamite permit.... forget the rest. ::td::
Attachments
PCOP5Dj.jpg
Ken Mc.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Baykeeper wrote:And the fun continues. Just received this 1990 Buck #314 Buckbone Trapper, to go along with the 1990 #312 Buckbone Mini Trapper I already had, (for those who don't know these were completely US-made). In my opinion the 1990's were the epitome of Buck's in-house 300 Series production, as opposed to the earlier Camillus-made 300 Series knives, (which were nice but not AS nice). These San Diego-made knives were simply superb, far exceeding current production models IMHO. So here it is in all of it's hollow ground glory, along with it's little brother.
Syd, so they glued the handles on those editions or am I missing something. And another question, is $100 too much to pay for a 1990 BUCK 312 MINI TRAPPER?
Attachments
1990 BUCK 312 MINI TRAPPER .jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

jerryd6818 wrote:
Baykeeper wrote:And the fun continues. Just received this 1990 Buck #314 Buckbone Trapper, to go along with the 1990 #312 Buckbone Mini Trapper I already had, (for those who don't know these were completely US-made). In my opinion the 1990's were the epitome of Buck's in-house 300 Series production, as opposed to the earlier Camillus-made 300 Series knives, (which were nice but not AS nice). These San Diego-made knives were simply superb, far exceeding current production models IMHO. So here it is in all of it's hollow ground glory, along with it's little brother.
Syd, so they glued the handles on those editions or am I missing something. And another question, is $100 too much to pay for a 1990 BUCK 312 MINI TRAPPER?
Yes, I assume they are glued, very good glue mind you but glue just the same. I suppose trying to use pins on bone handles would be relatively difficult to do, so they went with a cleaner looking and less time consuming option. I saw several listings from one seller who had not only the #312 Mini Trapper but also several other US-made bone handled 300 Series models from the 90's at similar set prices. In my opinion those set asking prices are a bit too high, I paid about half that for both the #312 & #314 that I obtained in the last year via auctions, (which I consider to be just about right). I prefer to wait for auction listings, but having all those models out there available at a set price, albeit a hefty set price, is tempting. I recently saw several SFO models listed by a seller at what I consider to be very high set prices, (too high), and as far as I can tell they didn't sell. Perhaps we are beginning to see the ceiling as far as collector value goes for some of these knives?
BCCI Member #2863
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thank you. I have no experience in the arena so judging the asked prices is beyond my kin. I appreciate your help.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

jerryd6818 wrote:Thank you. I have no experience in the arena so judging the asked prices is beyond my kin. I appreciate your help.
You're welcome, though other than being an active buyer of collectible Bucks I can't claim to be an expert on their relative value, I pretty much know only what I am personally willing to pay. There are a few sellers out there that have stashes of collectible 300 Series knives in their vaults, and they are putting them out there at ginormous prices just to see if they get any bites. Sellers like that can afford to sit on their inventory and wait for prices to catch up with demand. I've learned that most any model you might want will eventually show up as an auction item, so having some patience is key. Problem is those auctions usually don't show up at convenient times, so you have to be watchful and ready to bid at a moments notice if you are determined to get what you want. I try to look for estate sales or pawn shop listings, (the #314 I just got was from a pawn shop listing), those usually go for less than knives from professional sellers and are usually auctions. All I really know is there are finite quantities of these collectibles out there, so my rule has been to grab 'em when I see 'em, and to judge their value by what I am willing to pay that day.
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

My latest to arrive, a one line Buck 118 Personal, circa 1962-1967. I also have a three dot Buck 110 coming from a trade I made on Blade Forums, but it doesn’t appear to have left NV yet. Hopefully next week I’ll have it to post. OH
Attachments
6591C6BB-6D10-4572-9AFB-1855FEC2150B.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Nice score, OH! Beautiful knife.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
eveled

Post by eveled »

I'm still working on my Cherrywood/aluminum set, I am down to 3 that were never made (that I know of). A 121, 102, and 105. Eventually they will turn up. Most of them were only made in limited quantities. The picture has black phenolic place savers for the missing ones.

Buck recently released some special editions. 121 guide, and 116 caper, w/ Sambar stag handles. These are both discontinued models hard to find in any handle so I figured I'd start a Sambar Stag Buck set. I also ordered the 119 Sambar Stag with the crown handle. I'll post pics when they all are here.
Attachments
IMG_20171210_075333046.jpg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice collection of Cherrywood Buck's. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Stay calm. Just my OCD acting up again.
IMG_20171210_075333046.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Nice Jerry,

Is the cherry 110 a chairman? I've been wanting one, just didn't want CB's signature on it.

pete
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Nice set of Bucks Jerry! All of my "collection" are black, darn it. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
eveled

Post by eveled »

Yes it's a 110 chairman. It's kind of a place saver. I know I can order a plain nickle silver Cherrywood 110 from the custom shop anytime.

I'm really hoping one of the dealers out there makes a purchase of Cherrywood Aluminum 110's. ::pray::. Ed
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dudes, I just turned the picture in eveled's post right side up. Those are not my knives (no matter how much I wish they were).
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice Cherrywoods there eveled!! ::tu:: Yes Sir!!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Didn’t have a three-dot Buck 110 (circa 80-81), traded for this one, arrived yesterday. OH
Attachments
2FD46537-0FDC-42A8-9643-29F085334A00.jpeg
1912er

Post by 1912er »

nice! i want one too. cant find 2dot or 3dot up here sw ontario enjoy it
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

1912er, Welcome to the Buck Forum at AAPK - you waited nearly a year to say something - honored it was about my knife! OH
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Been interested in picking up a 75th Anniversary Buck 119 Special all year. Most come in a tin box with a decent markup for that tin. Was in Academy Sports in Jacksonville earlier today and noticed they had a few at the same price as the standard version ($55), packed like the standard version, decided that it was finally time to get one. OH
Attachments
D87B3475-2FE4-4DF2-9E57-31AE85F775E0.jpeg
1912er

Post by 1912er »

picked one up last week as well,69.00 cdn.in box.had some points on a credit card.covered it all.yaa

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”