Buck Yearling - Unknown Date Code?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Buck Yearling - Unknown Date Code?

Post by knifeaholic »

Wondering if anyone can help with this. Buck Yearling, new in box - but the tang stamp just has one dot next to it. Is this a date code? I don't see it in the Buck date code shart.
Attachments
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
cody6268

Re: Buck Yearling - Unknown Date Code?

Post by cody6268 »

I don't think it's actually a date stamp exactly. At this time, Buck only added dots and dashes to denote changes in the model itself, as opposed to years.

Does it have one spring or two? As I understand, they changed at one point to two from one, and with that, it would be a change, thus an extra dot.

This article seems to suggest to me that it might be ca. 1986. As an example, my 703 has two springs, and no dot.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/buck-701.1388675/
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:40 pm I don't think it's actually a date stamp exactly. At this time, Buck only added dots and dashes to denote changes in the model itself, as opposed to years.

Does it have one spring or two? As I understand, they changed at one point to two from one, and with that, it would be a change, thus an extra dot.

This article seems to suggest to me that it might be ca. 1986. As an example, my 703 has two springs, and no dot.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/buck-701.1388675/
One spring - thanks for the info, appreciated.
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

Good morning Steve (Knifeaholic)
Here is what I found on the Buck 700 series. It looks like the first 709 models were shipped in September,1981. The earliest of the 700 series knives had a three line tang stamp, Buck/Script Model #/U.S.A. The shield was imprinted with Buck in old English script. Buck began to use block lettering in 1984 or 1985. The liners, backsprings, and bottoms of the bolsters were polished until Buck introduced the year markings in 1986. Somewhere around that time Buck started putting a sanded finish on these parts. Since Buck began the use of their date code in 1986, I believe your knife was made in either 1984 or 1985. This information can be seen on pages 546 and 547 in the Blade's Guide To Knives & Their Values 7th Edition. As for the one dot after the pattern number on your knife, I have an article that says Buck often used these dots to signify a change that was made, such as the type of blade steel, etc. Just a thought, but the dot could simply be to signify a change from the three line stamp in script to the block two line stamp. I hope this helps. Have a great day. Rick.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Bamarick wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:49 pm Good morning Steve (Knifeaholic)
Here is what I found on the Buck 700 series. It looks like the first 709 models were shipped in September,1981. The earliest of the 700 series knives had a three line tang stamp, Buck/Script Model #/U.S.A. The shield was imprinted with Buck in old English script. Buck began to use block lettering in 1984 or 1985. The liners, backsprings, and bottoms of the bolsters were polished until Buck introduced the year markings in 1986. Somewhere around that time Buck started putting a sanded finish on these parts. Since Buck began the use of their date code in 1986, I believe your knife was made in either 1984 or 1985. This information can be seen on pages 546 and 547 in the Blade's Guide To Knives & Their Values 7th Edition. As for the one dot after the pattern number on your knife, I have an article that says Buck often used these dots to signify a change that was made, such as the type of blade steel, etc. Just a thought, but the dot could simply be to signify a change from the three line stamp in script to the block two line stamp. I hope this helps. Have a great day. Rick.
Thanks so much!! Great info.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”