Carving Practice Sticks

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
keithlong

Carving Practice Sticks

Post by keithlong »

I just wanted to share with my fellow carvers here that I stumbled on some carving sticks today. I went past a huge cabinet shop and seen a large pile of scrap pieces of basswood sticks. So I went inside and asked if I could possilby get some of those sticks and the owner replied that I can get all of them I want. They are 1x1x16' long. I got one today and cut it into 10" pieces and got 14 good pieces out of that one stick. So if you live near a cabinet shop stop and ask them if they have basswood. Alot of them do use it to trim out cabinets. Just wanted to pass this along to you all. :)
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Carving Practice Sticks

Post by carvin don »

Wow Keith, you made out real good ::tu:: . Carving shops will sell a 1"x1" x12" block of basswood for $1.50 or $2.00.
Great find! ::tu:: And they are wonderful for practicing various cuts, faces, etc...
Don
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

forgot to mention that I found 2 pieses of 2" thick blocks that are 2"x8"x8" blocks, so I can get 4-2" thick blocks 8" long out of them.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Also wanted to mention that anyone wgo wishes to try their luck at carving, pm me your address and I will send you a couple of these sticks. I will go back there tomorrow and get some more of them.
KeithLLong

griz1200

Post by griz1200 »

PM inbound

Griz
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Hey Griz
Got your address, will go to the post office and put them in the mail on Monday. Enjoy whittling on them and have fun with them. The postage is on me.
KeithLLong

griz1200

Post by griz1200 »

Thanks Keith, I truley appreciate it. ::tu::

Griz
bluerush55

Post by bluerush55 »

way to go thats very kind of you sending that wood out, your a good person.
griz1200

Post by griz1200 »

Yes he sure is bluerush. Keith, I received the package yesterday. I haven't had the chance to try them out yet, but maybe today. Thanks again! By the way, those kitty fish filets in the other post looked delish! ::tu::

Greg
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Hey Griz,
Glad to hear that you got those practice sticks. I really like em myself. In the process of whittling out my first whimsey. Will post pics when I finish it. Enhoy them my friend. :D :D
KeithLLong

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”