A Star is Born

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
keithlong

A Star is Born

Post by keithlong »

a couple of them that is. Carved these out of basswood and plan on doing several for Christmas ornaments. A fun little project to do. It has been too hot to play in the shop so pulled out my whittling knives and decided to play with them a little.
Attachments
20200721_082118_resized (1).jpg
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A Star is Born

Post by doglegg »

Well Keith, that is a great job and fun project. Well done. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Great job Keith!
Could you give us a little "How-To", please?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Here is a "how to" photo with details, the pic on the left is the start of another star, the pic on the right is how to mark out the block to carve. I start with a square block 1 1/2 inches square, (it has to be square), and mark the center of the block on all sides then mark the corners on all sides, once this is done the center lines are your stop cut lines and the goal is to take out the wood on each side to the center lines all around the block.
Attachments
20200721_092725_resized (1).jpg
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Thanks Keith.
That certainly helps. I wasn't quite wrapping my head around just how the block should be marked off.
There's a couple we are great friends with who really like the Moravian Star - they have one that lights up and they display it every Christmas.
This doesn't have as many points, but is similar. I'm going to give it a go. If it turns out half way decent, I'll put a small eye hook in it and present it to them as an ornament for their tree.
Thanks again!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Don't forget pic's Steve.
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

These stars will make nice christmas tree ornaments, my sweet wife is planning on me doing several so that she can pint them and gift them as well.
KeithLLong

Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

keithlong wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:23 pm These stars will make nice christmas tree ornaments, my sweet wife is planning on me doing several so that she can pint them and gift them as well.
Very nice! They will look great on the tree.

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”