Stick chicken

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Doug51

Stick chicken

Post by Doug51 »

This was a challenge for me. It's my first stick chicken that turned out halfway decent. Going paint it and fan out the tail feathers.
Attachments
IMG_20190426_102806054_HDR.jpg
Steve Warden

Re: Stick chicken

Post by Steve Warden »

Cool ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I'm not a whittler but that looks like it would definitely take some skill, anxious to see it finished.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I've never tried one of those Doug but you sure aced it. Great job. ::handshake::
TrueStory

Post by TrueStory »

LOL I thought it was something to eat when camping out. :lol:

Nice work as we've come to expect. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Doug51 wrote:This was a challenge for me. It's my first stick chicken that turned out halfway decent. Going paint it and fan out the tail feathers.

That’s cool and I admire people that can whittle. But I just know I would cut toward my thumb so much I would cut it off. What’s the trick to stop yourself from doing that?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Doug51 wrote:This was a challenge for me. It's my first stick chicken that turned out halfway decent. Going paint it and fan out the tail feathers.

That’s cool and I admire people that can whittle. But I just know I would cut toward my thumb so much I would cut it off. What’s the trick to stop yourself from doing that?
SSk
Thanks! You should wear a cut resistant glove and thumb guard. And you use controlled cuts by pushing with the thumb of opposite hand your holding the knife with. You do smaller cuts and a really sharp knife you don't have to use a lot of force. Witch is how you get cut. It's not as dangerous as you might think. There's some great U-tube videos buy Gene Messer a 5min bear and Doug Linker has some great stuff also.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Thanks for the compliments guys. I really enjoy working with a pocket knife so whittling is something very rewarding for me. Here it is with a little bit of color
Attachments
IMG_20190426_205800217.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Even better Doug. Great little rooster. ::nod:: ::nod::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Nice chicken...lookin' good with the red, there!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

That paint fancied it up right nice.
Well done!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Thanks again for the compliments. This is number 4 rooster I've made. Still not 100% happy with the tail feathers yet but getting there.
Attachments
IMG_20190504_092207591.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doug, you keep this up and you are going to have to build a bigger coup. They are looking very good. Glad you are have time to do a few. ::tu:: ::nod::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:Doug, you keep this up and you are going to have to build a bigger coup. They are looking very good. Glad you are have time to do a few. ::tu:: ::nod::
Lol!! Thanks. I plan on doing a few more. I sent my fist 2 out to a friend and his girlfriend in North Dakota. It was a little hard to let go of them but I told myself if it brings some else a little bit of enjoyment that's what it's about. I can make more. It's been raining a bunch so I can't plant corn so this is a good stress reliever.
Chris Lubkin in one of his U-tube videos showing how to whittle these said he started in the 1960s making them. He's made thousands of them. Said He's sold around $160,000.00 worth of them. I found that amazing!
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Had to carve my first hen. I'm pretty happy with how she turned out.
Attachments
IMG_20190509_085921149.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I would agree with you being happy with that. Can't wait to see what is next. ::tu:: ::nod::

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”