Eagle Carving By Ron Skaggs

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Wally Taylor

Eagle Carving By Ron Skaggs

Post by Wally Taylor »

I bought this life-sized Mastodon Ivory Eagle's head from an old friend, Ron Skaggs. Ron is really well known for his knife engraving skills. I was asking him about a piece that a dealer was selling, and Ron showed me several pieces that he was selling from his personal collection.
He bought the piece of Mastodon Tusk about 30 years ago, and decided to do something with it. The Eagle is mounted to a block of Ebony, and it's one of my favorite things, Anyway, here is what Ron does when he's not engraving knives.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Doc B

Re: Eagle Carving By Ron Skaggs

Post by Doc B »

Pretty cool!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Several eagle lover around here who will love that, myself included. ::nod::
wlf

Post by wlf »

Amazing piece of art. Love it.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Outstanding!
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

doglegg wrote:Several eagle lover around here who will love that, myself included. ::nod::

I worked on gas wells for years, and there was a mated pair of Eagles that the neighbors and I would watch and kind of protect for years. One time we got a wet, heavy snow. Their nest, with the young Eagle fell bout 45 feet to the ground. We were pretty worried, but the snow was deep enough that the Young one was OK. It was late in the Winter, so they fixed the nest on the ground, and rode out the Winter there. It' very easy to get attatched to these beautiful birds. Ever since watching those birds living on the edge of a deep gorge was amazing. Ever since then I've loved Eagles.
When Ron offered me this piece, I grabbed it immediately. He's a great duck carver too. The first show that he ever entered, his bird won Best of Show. He is just incredibly talented, and this piece is one of the best uses of Ivory that I've ever seen. I have several pieces of art, and this is easily my favorite.
image.jpeg

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”