Carving for a friend

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Doug51

Carving for a friend

Post by Doug51 »

I carved this out for a friend of mine. We are about the same age and both farmers. I would like to invest in a wood burner of some sort. I think his farm name would have looked better burned in.
IMG_20180903_203706.jpg
I carved out the letters and then painted them in. It looks rustic and that's how I hoped it would turn out.
Attachments
IMG_20180903_203619.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Carving for a friend

Post by doglegg »

Cool, Doug and a fitting gift. I enjoy your variety. ::tu:: ::tu::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:Cool, Doug and a fitting gift. I enjoy your variety. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks. I'm not a great carver but overall I like how it turned out. I know what I will do different next time!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doug51 wrote:
doglegg wrote:Cool, Doug and a fitting gift. I enjoy your variety. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks. I'm not a great carver but overall I like how it turned out. I know what I will do different next time!
That is as good as the object itself. It seems you always learn something. I enjoy your discovery and you are encouraging to me to do something. Thanks. ::nod::
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Your friend should love it !!! And,, its almost time to tune up the
combine's, stalk's are turning real straw color in my neck of the wood's
Very Nice !!!

stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

stagman wrote:Your friend should love it !!! And,, its almost time to tune up the
combine's, stalk's are turning real straw color in my neck of the wood's
Very Nice !!!

stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
It's getting closer. We are about 3-4 weeks away still.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

I carved another ear of corn and tried something a little different. I bought a cheap wood burner and burnt our farm name in and in memory of my Dad who passed away last year. So this one was very special to me as I worked on it. I think Dad would have liked it. I know I sure miss him.
IMG_20180911_215148.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20180911_215103.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doug, that was a good idea to use the wood burner. That turned out knice. And always to have good thoughts about ones dad. Mine died back in 2002, I understand. Anvils, bears and corn you are varied. ::tu:: ::tu::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:Doug, that was a good idea to use the wood burner. That turned out knice. And always to have good thoughts about ones dad. Mine died back in 2002, I understand. Anvils, bears and corn you are varied. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks. I worked with him everyday on our farm. Kind of why I started whittling last year. To take my mind off missing him and things for a while. My wood burning technique needs work but I didn't want to try to write it on and definitely didn't want to try and hand carve it in either.
My next idea is to try and carve a lever action rifle sometime! :-)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is interesting on the rifle. I had an uncle when I was a boy who would carve double barrel shot guns out of half of one of the spring activated clothes pens. I wish I had of kept mine and not lost it. The half clothes pen already had the basic shape. I look forward to your finished product. ::tu::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:That is interesting on the rifle. I had an uncle when I was a boy who would carve double barrel shot guns out of half of one of the spring activated clothes pens. I wish I had of kept mine and not lost it. The half clothes pen already had the basic shape. I look forward to your finished product. ::tu::
Thanks for sharing that! That's a great idea! Also pretty cool that other family members carve in your family.
The rifle is just an idea but I'm going to try to see if I can make it work.

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”