Modified knife for whittling

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
eveled

Modified knife for whittling

Post by eveled »

I modified these two Kabars for whittling. I've thinned down the blades some. By laying the blade flat on a diamond stone. Headed towards full flat grind. Then with a small secondary bevel.
IMG_20180708_183212.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Modified knife for whittling

Post by doglegg »

eveled, great job. I'm still working on the blade thinning and sharpening end. Especially that bottom one looks delightful.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

That's great. I recently bought a knife with a broken tip with the plan of shaping the blade into something to whittle with. Post some pictures of your whittling. I like to see other people's ideas and work.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Thanks for the kind words guys. I found a wharnclif hidden in that old clip point blade!
IMG_20180710_143313421.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Good job, Wharncliffe always my favorite.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Doug51. I'm not very artistic. I just pick up a stick or dowel and start doodling one one end till it breaks or gets lost. I've turned some into back scratchers and give em away. I don't like faces, or animals. Mostly, looking for balance and symmetry. This dowel is 3/4 in diameter. Longest chain I made was 2 links. Lol! Never tried a cage or slide.
IMG_20180710_182440.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Nice eveled. Sometimes fun just to play around and see that comes out.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

eveled wrote:Doug51. I'm not very artistic. I just pick up a stick or dowel and start doodling one one end till it breaks or gets lost. I've turned some into back scratchers and give em away. I don't like faces, or animals. Mostly, looking for balance and symmetry. This dowel is 3/4 in diameter. Longest chain I made was 2 links. Lol! Never tried a cage or slide. IMG_20180710_182440.jpg
Eveled that's really nice. Very symmetrical. Have you ever made any walking sticks with some patterns carved in them? I've been looking for a stick to whittle a fishing hook out of but haven't found one with the right branch yet.
Thanks for sharing your work.
richard

Post by richard »

nice modifieing. i like to modifie blades, and grips. this is a richards whittler . i ground the blades ,and made burr walnut grips
Attachments
021.JPG
025.JPG
eveled

Post by eveled »

Thanks Richard. That's a beautiful knife.

Doug51, I have made walking sticks like that. If you have a walking stick, and a knife. It's kind of inevitable, that it ends up carved. Lol.

Good luck with the fish hook. You might have to either bend a green branch and let it dry, or steam and bend it.

I used to make fishing poles for my cousins out of branches, and I had to find just the right branch, with the right branches coming off of it. It could be a challenge! I'd drill holes in the offshoots as eyes, and had a keeper for the line.
richard

Post by richard »

have you any pics of the fishing poles you made . i restore old cane rods. to fish with.
i would like to try and make a fishing pole as you described.to fish with.
eveled

Post by eveled »

It was just a kid thing. More or less a drop line. About 3 feet long. So they could hang it off the dock. I was maybe 10 they were between 4 and 8. Believe me it was not picture worthy. And not something you would use. It was before Snoopy fishing poles were around. And they wanted to fish.

The challenge was finding the right stick with the right branches. The line keeper needed a root branch and a low branch aligned with it.
IMG_20180711_000613571.jpg
These are the two knives I used. The holes were all drilled with the awl on the SAK.
IMG_20171227_105318718.jpg
richard

Post by richard »

thank you. i will make one. and fish the creek. near my house. will post pic's. of pole and fish caught. :D
richard

Post by richard »

thank you. i will make one. and fish the creek. near my house. will post pic's. of pole and fish caught. :D
eveled

Post by eveled »

I look forward to seeing it.

Thinking about those fishing poles brought back a flood of memories. Not at all where I expected this thread to take me.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Nice job Richard thanks for posting some pictures.

Eveled I'll look into steam bending I never thought of that. The fish hook is going to be more for decoration than using probably. I want to add it to the fishing bobber I whittled. Nice whittlin blades on that Camillus.
We use to cut willow sticks when we were kids and fish the creek with.Fun times with friends I haven't seen in years. Sounds like yours were pretty nice.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great post, that fishing pole is a great idea. And Richard that modified whittler looks great.
richard

Post by richard »

got this today, from a freind . e.c. simmons keenkutter, MOP whittler.
all blades are tight no wobble. nice snaps. double spring back main blade.
nice early knife, to restore / modifie. shame the scale damage. but they are secure.[quote]the beatings will continue.untill moral improves[/quote beau geste]
Attachments
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
eveled

Post by eveled »

Nice find. What are you going to do to it?
richard

Post by richard »

i will clean and polish the blades, but leave the scales as they are secure.
Whittler50

Post by Whittler50 »

Twenty years ago I was looking for a good carbon steel pocket knife. I found a whittler who modified knife for whittling in Chip Chats. Dave Whiren knew carving and how to modify knives for that purpose. His company was called Golden Fingers. He had many brands and styles. I chose the Henckel's Congress. It was re-profiled and thinned so it could do the cuts we whittler/carvers needed to do. From fine details to cuts demanding more power. You'll see two knives pictured here. The top is the Dave Whiren modified knife and the bottom is a replacement I purchased a few years ago and have been slowly modifying. Please note the amount of re-profiling Dave had to do to create a fine carver.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Whittler50 wrote:Twenty years ago I was looking for a good carbon steel pocket knife. I found a whittler who modified knife for whittling in Chip Chats. Dave Whiren knew carving and how to modify knives for that purpose. His company was called Golden Fingers. He had many brands and styles. I chose the Henckel's Congress. It was re-profiled and thinned so it could do the cuts we whittler/carvers needed to do. From fine details to cuts demanding more power. You'll see two knives pictured here. The top is the Dave Whiren modified knife and the bottom is a replacement I purchased a few years ago and have been slowly modifying. Please note the amount of re-profiling Dave had to do to create a fine carver.
Welcome Whittler50, I don't think the pictures made it this time but good to have you on board. I look forward to seeing some of your knives and also some of your whittling.
richard

Post by richard »

no pic's here either whitller50.
click the attachment box. drag and drop pic,s into the reply message box.
you will see them load. when you get the green tic next to them.
click submit.
they will appear. under what you type in the reply box :)
Whittler50

Post by Whittler50 »

I tried several times and I couldn't get the file to load.
Attachments
IMG_4573.JPG
Whittler50

Post by Whittler50 »

Here's a Gastrike rooster I carved and painted a few years ago. This is in the solid tradition My favorite type of carving is the Scandinavian flat pane style carving, because it can capture movement and gesture.
Attachments
IMG_0346.JPG

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”