Spring bobber

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Doug51

Spring bobber

Post by Doug51 »

A simple spring fishing bobber whittled down from a basswood stick from Dad's woodlot.
IMG_20180623_143800.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20180623_141003.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Spring bobber

Post by doglegg »

I think simple has it's own beauty and class. Great job and great knife. And a wood lot of bass wood. Lucky man.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Really cool Doug. Old school I like that. Curious how you attach to fishing line? Maybe drilled center from top to bottom and looped back thru a time or two?

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:I think simple has it's own beauty and class. Great job and great knife. And a wood lot of bass wood. Lucky man.
Thanks, basswood is something I found that's hard to find locally that's cut in blocks for whittling. So I just cut a few limbs off some trees in the woods. I am going to check into the cost of getting a log cut into lumber for carving.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

zp4ja wrote:Really cool Doug. Old school I like that. Curious how you attach to fishing line? Maybe drilled center from top to bottom and looped back thru a time or two?

Jerry
Thanks. I carved it more for fun than actual use. It's the first one I have ever carved. I do think it would work as a working bobber and will probably carve another one to try and make it work. I think maybe a eye of some type epoxied in the top or quick release leader might work.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Carved a decorative fish hook to go with the bobber I made earlier. I have to sand it down a little. Think I'll make a little caricature worm to set on it when I find the right piece of wood.
Attachments
IMG_20180719_140815.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I like it when projects grow and morph. Neat little fish hook. Can't wait to see the worm. ::tu:: ::tu::
eveled

Post by eveled »

It came out good. Hang it from the ceiling with a cheese burger on it. See if you can catch anyone.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Doug ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

eveled wrote:It came out good. Hang it from the ceiling with a cheese burger on it. See if you can catch anyone.
Eveled that would be me swinging from the hook! LOL!!! I could never let a good cheeseburger go to waste! ::tu::

I found a piece of cedar and am working on the worm. More pictures to come. Then I will have to make a pole and a fish I guess. ::dang::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

And the fishing net ought to prove interesting to carve ::sotb::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Steve Warden wrote:And the fishing net ought to prove interesting to carve ::sotb::
::dang:: ::facepalm:: Lol! Way to set the bar high! :-)
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Well I messed around and broke the fish hook trying to figure out how to get the worm to fit. So I glued it together and painted it and put a face on the worm. Worm is out of cedar. I might make a smaller one. Haven't decided yet. So now I got to get a stick for a pole and attach everything .
Attachments
IMG_20180721_151847.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

"broke the fish hook", I am glad it is not just me. But the worm looks pretty good. ::tu:: ::tu::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:"broke the fish hook", I am glad it is not just me. But the worm looks pretty good. ::tu:: ::tu::
Yep. Glued it back together and painted it to cover up the evidence. ::facepalm:: :D

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”