Old Mini Canoe Project

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Old Mini Canoe Project

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

This is one of the first woodcarving projects I did many years ago. It is made from a blank of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 8" redwood. It could be made from almost any kind of wood that is not too hard to carve. It is perfect for beginners to learn the basics of grain direction, tool use, and sharpening. It also gives one a good chance to practice the basics of hollowing and making symmetrical shapes.

IMG_2027.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Mini Canoe Project

Post by doglegg »

Good post Olde Cutler. I have thought of trying one several times but usually get distracted and onto something else. Good job on that one. Redwood looks good. You use just a regular pocket knife?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

doglegg wrote:Good post Olde Cutler. I have thought of trying one several times but usually get distracted and onto something else. Good job on that one. Redwood looks good. You use just a regular pocket knife?
I have used an Exacto carving knife set for a long time. There are Exacto blades that are made for hollowing, which is really difficult to do with a regular pocket knife. Even though the Exacto blades are designed to be disposable, I sharpen them many times before tossing. The canoe is a good project for beginners to start out with.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: It also gives one a good chance to practice the basics of hollowing and making symmetrical shapes.
Man that's really nice OC. I would think something like that would be very difficult. You would have to be really careful to get both sides to look the same. I might have to commission you to widdle something for me some day, your stuff sure looks nice. Great job Sir. ::nod:: ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Very cool.
Way beyond my talents.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”