Need better whittling knife

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
woodcarverhur

Need better whittling knife

Post by woodcarverhur »

I'm pretty new to wood carving. the first "wood carving knife" I had purchased was from a supply store that had a box of tools you can attach to a handle. It wasn't ideal, but I carved an owl out of it, but want something more durable and reliable.

I saw this post here: http://www.bestwoodcarvingtools.com/top ... ng-knives/
and wasn't sure if these are good options. I've heard of a couple of the brands, but again I'm not sure on their reliability.

Which one would you guys choose out of the list on this website?

Any input helps, thanks!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need better whittling knife

Post by carrmillus »

......I can't open that topic, but I've done pretty well over the years with a Camillus splitspring whittler and sunfish, which was what my grandpa always whittled with!!................. ::tu:: ..........................
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

I have been using a pocket knife since I was a little boy, probally about nine years old. I still have my first one, probally not worth a whole lot, but I will never get rid of it. I was raised up on a dairy farm and I was taught how to use a knife by my dad, was taught that it was a tool and not a weapon. I always have a knife in my pocket, always carried one to school. I have been whittling for a long time. Just in the past few years I began trying my hand at a little wood carving. I have purchased a few carving knives, just some chwap ones, and I always go back to to my little US Classic whittler pocket knife or my Buck 301 stockman. I have found that the best knife to use is the one that you are most comfortable using. However what knife you choose, whether it be carbon steel or stainless steel, be sure that it is properly sharpened and that you keep it sharp, and keep a leather strop handy. A lot of wood carvers and whittlers use inexpensive knives and experiment with different shapes and sharpening angles. The whittler that I have is one that was gifted to me by a wood carver, it is a chinese knife, and it holds an edge great. Not wanting to open a can of worms, but I have also been told that the rough riders are good ones also. I used to hand sharpen my knives, but I cannot any more, gettin older sucks, but is a fact of life. There are some great carvers on here that can offer more and better advice. Be sure to post some of your work. Wood love to se some myself.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
Brian Battaglia

Post by Brian Battaglia »

Check out the Ross Carver, or others available at http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/store/c ... nives.html
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

I have been whittlin' for over 60 years, mostly with pocket knives.

I looked at the link in the OP.

Some of those knives, particularly the Moras are good knives.

The Opinels are good knives too, but need to be modified to make them good whittlers.

The flexcut non folding knives are pretty good, but I would pass on the Flexcut folding knives. AVOID the ones with a bunch of tools in them. They are way overpriced for what you get. For the same or less money you can get a good pocket knife, modify it to suit yourself with a file and a sharpening stone and strop, AND buy 3 or 4 Swiss palm gouges the will work far better than the Flexcut multiple blade deal.

The other Flexcut folding knives, are also overpriced and have mostly the same shape of blades - just different sizes.

Rough Rider pocket knives are a good product, inexpensive, and will keep a good edge. I have modified, used and sold 100s of them.

JUST DO NOT USE A BENCH GRINDER ON THEM OR ANY OTHER KNIFE!! EVER.

Get one about 3 3/4 or 4" that appeals to you, modify the blades using a good single cut file to suit, sharpen it up and have fun!
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I have used many different knives... some good, some not so good, some extremely excellent... and some I wouldn't give a wooden nickel for. I carry 3 or 4 old beater pocket knives different sizes to which I reground the blades (carefully so's not to ruin the heat treat) to my personal preferences. I use these on the go. But when I am at home in my shop or den I use fixed blades. North Bay Forge, Lucian Avery, and Chuck Patrick Have all made knives that use most regularly. Might want to check them out. They are pricey but well worth it. Pocket knives... Case pre 1980 have never failed me, I have a few OLDER Winchester, Challenge, Cattaraugus, Hammer Brand, Robeson, and other odd-ball brands most are jack knives or "big cigar" and they all have served me well. The old "poor man" knives like Kutmaster, Imperial, Old Timer, and such work just as well... sometimes better... in my own opinion. I haven't been whittlin' as long as Mr. Chips but I agree with everything he says in his post. Have not had the chance to use Moras much but I liked the ones I did get a hold of and Opinel has good steel too.

Bottom line is to pick a knife you like and are comfortable with, with GOOD steel (high carbon is best in my opinion) and learn how to sharpen your knives. If you can't sharpen your knife correctly it doesn't matter who made it, what brand or style... it won't cut worth a dump and that's no good. Plus dull knives are dangerous! When I was starting out there was this old fella named, Arlo, who could whittle and carve like none I'd ever seen. I asked his advice and he told me "There are two types of whittlers... those who have been cut and those will get cut. You can't be afraid to get cut. And if you meet a whittler who says they never have been cut... well, they haven't been whittlin' very long".
Be a radical... use common sense.
TexDanm

Post by TexDanm »

I've tried the Moras and never been disappointed in any of their products. I also have several Opinels that are great. they are both available in either carbon or stainless steels and in the case of the opinel are flat ground and are ready to go almost out of the box. I also have a lot of the flexcut products and they also are quality knives that will give you years of use.

Now, depending on your finances and personal abilities there is another choice. Many of my favorite knives are made by me from other knives. I never pass up a rusty old kitchen knife. My absolute favorites I made from a set of carbon steel steak knives that belonged to my Mama. the steel is high quality and they always make me remember the many meals I ate with those knives. I just cut the blades off with a dremel and shape them to my different needs. The ends that I cut off I make into patch or miniature knives.

Old hickory knives are 1095 carbon steel and for 5 or 6 dollars you can buy them new and make your own whittlers. Another option that I like is old carbon steel Old Timer Stockman knives. The full sized one and the Middleman size are great and back then they were mostly flat ground. I buy them cheap off Ebay. I reshape the blades and they are wonderful pocket whittlers.

In general I greatly prefer carbon steel. GOOD stainless cost money so in general cheap and good stainless wood working knives just don't exist. The problem is that when you flat grind stainless to a very fine razor edge that edge tends to chip. Carbon steel has some give and will bend. that bend can easily be repaired with a strop or steel when a chipped edge had to be reground and that is time consuming and wears the knife out.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a great set of knives...but nonetheless they are soooooo hard to resist. Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a knifaholic!!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..I use old hickory knives to whittle on smoked beef brisket!!!!!......... ::ds:: ............
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..welcome to AAPK, dan!!!!........ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........
WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw »

I'm curious as to what you folks mean when you say the knife needs "modified" for whittling? I've got a couple of Opinels and this has peaked my interest!
Greg
Neko2

Post by Neko2 »

Usually when people refer to modifying a knife for whittling they're talking at minimum reducing the sharpened angle of the edge and possibly also reshaping the blades to a more usefull shape.
You get more control from a short blade so the 2-3" or more blades on pocket knives can make it harder to use them for fine and detail work.

That all being said I've seen great work done with Sunfish, Sebenza and Becker so it is very much what you're confortable with.
BeastyArtemis

Post by BeastyArtemis »

Wow! This thread really opened my eyes!
I really want to find pocket knife with a broken blade to mod now.
Perfect Oregon coast weather: cloudy, windy, & rainy! ::sotb::
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

not to give up a secrete here but a friend makes craving knives by taking a straight razor and breaking off the blade about one inch from the tang and puts the tang in a two piece wood handle and grinding the blade to shape. I made one too but used a flea market $5 junker. put the saved end in a bench vise and whacked it with a hammer and saved the scrap for a fine detail knife.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Short blades of various shapes, and long handles give the best control. That said I've always enjoyed whilttleing most with an old BoyScout 3 blade Camillus.

Electricians knives are cheap and easy to modify the screw driver blade into a carving blade.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Short blades of various shapes, and long handles give the best control. That said I've always enjoyed whilttleing most with an old BoyScout 3 blade Camillus.

Electricians knives are cheap and easy to modify the screw driver blade into a carving blade.
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

F1ABE884-32B9-48C9-8B5E-16AA1EAB9B7E.jpeg
Attachments
3C4D39CD-0F14-4718-AD74-529FCE86D15D.jpeg
94027465-B310-4D15-81F7-42C2BEF2E0A8.jpeg
47F8D083-D699-4BD1-988D-8E5BF2AF08AB.jpeg
6F50F82F-439A-4145-AD6E-2D6E2C456E01.jpeg
68A487B8-3910-4144-8F61-D73BB9A9F4AF.jpeg
John
pearlroosterman

I have found that knife collecting is not always restricted to pocket knives !!! LOL. John
John
pearlroosterman

I am thinking seriously about selling a lot of knives. I have a large selection of Swiss made and Henry Taylor tools that I no longer use. If anyone has interest just send me a private message. Thanks, John
John
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

pearlroosterman wrote:F1ABE884-32B9-48C9-8B5E-16AA1EAB9B7E.jpeg
Impressive. Very impressive.
pearlroosterman

My father was a good carver, I happen to be a guy that loves to hack away on wood..... lol. Therefore when my dad past I ended up with a bunch of nice hand tools that I will never use. I basically use my Helvie knives and a few palm tools. Thank you, John
John

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”