Spoon Carving or Hook Knife

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
keithlong

Spoon Carving or Hook Knife

Post by keithlong »

I am looking for a good hook knide for carving nout the bowls on wooden spoons. Any recommendations?
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
FRJ

Re: Spoon Carving or Hook Knife

Post by FRJ »

Joe
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Look up www.lucianaveryblacksmith.com he's real nice guy and made me some really outstanding bent knives a couple years back that I use for the majority of my spoon carvings (knives are not his regular gig so he may or may not be up for it, shoot him an email and see) or try North Bay Forge. He makes some pretty nice bent knives too. I have a few of his knives and a bowl adze that I use pretty regular... ready made to sell. Hope this helps.
Be a radical... use common sense.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

I made my own, I have a few with different bends and grinds and blade thicknesses from when I was experimenting. The nice thing about making it yourself is you can make it any way you want it!
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Would love to see one, also may have to send the one I have to you and let you sharpen it for me.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

They are a trick to sharpen. I bought a mora first and didn't like it so made my own.

Here's a few pics.

top one is the first one I made, inside bevel flat grind. My first go at it so the edge is crude but it worked and I carved a couple dozen spoons and my first kuksa with it.

Second one is a wider sweep inside bevel about 3/4 height grind. It doesn't bite in quite as much as the top one and I did away with a lot of the tip sweep that I never used much, made the knife easier to sharpen and handle. This one is good for hogging out material because it's thin and the inside bevel lets it dig in.

Third one is my favorite. I used a bit thicker stock on this one, and did an outside bevel scandi grind. This one does not bite in as deep because of the thicker blade and outside bevel and lets you get really smooth finishing cuts that you can leave as is or take out with a little hand sanding.

I also included a top view so you could see the difference in the sweeps and blade thickness. Once I honed these down the first time I have only had to strop them to keep them going and I have carved 3 kuksas, and literally a 5 gallon bucket full of spoons and ladles with them. (Granted I am working soft woods like boxelder, buckeye, willow etc. Mostly dry seasoned stuff)

I also made a scandi ground wharneclfife knife for general shaping of the outside of the spoons and other stuff I carve with the hook knives, it goes in a tool roll with them and 2 strops as a set. These are al lsimple knives they were made from 6" Simmonds mill files, and the handles are file handles. All repurposed stuff that works far better then the factory produced hook knives I have used. I cannot speak for other custom made hook knives because I have never used any. I have the ability to make my own so I did. You can make these as plain or as fancy as you want. They are just tools to me so I didn't go over the top with the asthetics.
Attachments
100_4955.JPG
100_4956.JPG
100_4957.JPG
100_4958.JPG
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”