Spoons...

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Pablo

Spoons...

Post by Pablo »

I am mainly a spoon carver although my real love is the knife itself, and what all I can do with it. I enjoy carving bowls, cups, and an animal every once in a while. Here's a few of my spoons.
Attachments
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_2177.JPG
IMG_4085.JPG
IMG_4298.JPG
IMG_4073.JPG
Be a radical... use common sense.
313 Mike

Re: Spoons...

Post by 313 Mike »

Wow those are beautiful, great work!
I tried carving my first spoon while camping this past summer, it did not end well. ::facepalm:: I ended up making the actual "spoon" end too thin and carved a hole right in the middle of it. I guess I could have saved it and called it a slotted spoon, but that wasn't really what I was going for!
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Those are really clever and beautiful.
How long are the 10 long handled Mahogany? spoons.

Mike, there must be a more apt name for that spoon than slotted. :lol:
Joe
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

nice spoons.
Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Y'all, I appreciate the comments. Mike I can't tell you how many times I have carved through the bottom of a spoon. It's something that is bound to happen from time to time. Joe those spoons are actually walnut, they are about 12" long. Instead of slotted how about strainer spoon?
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Walnut makes more sense, Pablo. Thank you. It's probably less porous.
Those spoons would be a real advantage in the kitchen. Very nice work.
Joe
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Nice work reminds me of Great Uncle.
Keep Near the Cross.
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Very nice spoons.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
redferd

Post by redferd »

Very nice. Useful too. I have a piece of maple that would make a nice spoon. I have some very old wooden spoons my Grandmother had and use them a lot. They don't scratch teflon or any other surfaces and won't ding a pan when the lady of the house hammers it on the rim of the pan. I put vegetable oil or mineral oil on my spoons and have never had one split.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I made this pile of shavings and a spoon appeared .....lol....my intent was to make a spoon or a "spatula" as my good buddy Mike
calls it....
Attachments
20170527_162253 (1).jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw »

Those are some really nice pieces. I have wanted to learn to carve for years. I tried shortly and moved on to something else. I just recently started to try again and there's so much more information available I'm really hoping I do it this time lol
Greg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Pablo you do very nice work. ::tu::

Scott that one you did has a great design for use with a dutch oven or iron skillet. The wood won't scratch the patina off the cast iron and the flat end allows you to use it as a scraper. I've got one very similar to that and I love it.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

philco wrote:Pablo you do very nice work. ::tu::

Scott that one you did has a great design for use with a dutch oven or iron skillet. The wood won't scratch the patina off the cast iron and the flat end allows you to use it as a scraper. I've got one very similar to that and I love it.
I'll make note of that Phil......thanks.
I've made a couple others...
Attachments
IMG_2143.JPG
IMG_2087.JPG
IMG_1752.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

Here is a spoon I did out of a piece of cedar.
Attachments
IMG_3210.JPG
IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3212.JPG
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Philco... thanks for the compliment. Scott... nice "spatulas"... Jdub... nice spoon. Wv papaw this is a fun hobby try it, you'll like it.

Story about spoon carving: I did four years in the Marine Corps and my best friend in there was a fellow from Vermont. We both got out, I came home to Georgia and he went home to Vermont and later joined the Army Reserves. Over the course of the next 16 years he deployed to Bosnia, Somalia, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Needless to say his mind has been rewired by all that he had witnessed. He called me one day and asked if I'd come up and visit a while. I was between jobs so i figured why not. What I found when I got there was a broken Marine/Soldier who suffered from ptsd and depression and was having a real hard time in the civilian world. He had been hurting bad for a long time. Night after night through the walls I heard his nightmares. The therapy and drugs the VA offered were not doing much for him. He always liked to watch me carve... I noticed how focused he got watching and how amused he was. I found a local blacksmith and had him make a short bladed carving knife and a couple bent knives for my buddy and I introduced him to spoon carving. He got into it and although he did some bad ones and some good ones he really enjoyed it. I think what it did is it got him out of his head for a while and he was able to focus on positive things... instead of all the fighting and killing he had been in. I never realized how much spoon carving was therapy for me either until i watched my friend do the same. And when it comes down too it you can make some pretty cool Christmas or birthday gifts for others and make some extra money as well.

If any of y'all ever breeze down to North Georgia and want to carve some spoons send me a PM. I got plenty of knives to lend out and wood stock, or bring your own stuff. It won't cost you a dime. Everybody's welcome... especially veterans.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Pablo, your spoons in the first post are really nice. Your last post hit me pretty hard, glad carving helped your friend.

As far as slotted spoons go, my wife's uncle calls them "not-for-soup-spoons"
eveled

Post by eveled »

Pablo, your spoons in the first post are really nice. Your last post hit me pretty hard, glad carving helped your friend.

As far as slotted spoons go, my wife's uncle calls them "not-for-soup-spoons"

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”