Little Mahogany Horse...

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Pablo

Little Mahogany Horse...

Post by Pablo »

Here's one I carved for my Uncle and Aunt to give their Granddaughter for Christmas. Those are the knives I used. Pocket knife is a Shapleigh Hardware Co. the other is a "pisou" from Indonesia with my own style handle I put on it. The horse is Mahogany and the base is Teak. Both came from scraps that a company that makes fancy door ways and molding... they were burning this stuff in the dumpster out back!!!
Attachments
IMG_3080.JPG
Be a radical... use common sense.
FRJ

Re: Little Mahogany Horse...

Post by FRJ »

Welcome here.
A very handsome piece of work, Pablo.
Joe
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

::tu::
wlf

Post by wlf »

Welcome. He looks like a fast trotter to me. Nice art.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Nice work. Teak became very expensive because it comes from Viet Nam and has shrapnel in it. It can ruin a table saw blade. Now much comes from a different country. A 4 x 8 foot sheet of teak plywood cost around $400 now. In 1982 about $40. Also it is oily.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Very knice work!! ::nod:: ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

wlf wrote:Welcome. He looks like a fast trotter to me. Nice art.
Close. He's a fast pacer. Both legs on the same side are moving in the same direction.

Pablo that's pretty darn slick right there. Welcome aboard!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
wlf

Post by wlf »

Those Kaintucks know their hosses. :)
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

mrwatch wrote:Nice work. Teak became very expensive because it comes from Viet Nam and has shrapnel in it.
Another urban legend.

"Of the main teak producers in the area (Southeast Asia), Indonesia, India, Myanmar, Philippine, and Malaysia, Indonesia's teak is considered of the highest quality in the world."
http://www.giantchess.com/manufacturer/ ... _wood.html
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

wlf wrote:Those Kaintucks know their hosses. :)
Lol, it's in the genes. When I was a kid I grew up on Pa and Grandma's farm. Even in the 89's Oa still farmed a lot with mikes and horses. He had 20 Belgian mares at one time as well as a Belgian stud horse and a mammoth Jack.

Then we had the saddle horses, all gaited horses either walking horses or more commonly those old fashioned ins that hit that wonderful old 4 beat lick. With them getting pacey was a bad thing. You had to get in their mouth a little with the bit and get them all collected back up.

I was trading horses before I was old enough to work in tobacco, lol.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Colonel26, When I was carving that horse and had gotten to the point of no return I set her down and took a step back and thought... "something ain't right here"... then I noticed the position of the legs. I showed It to a friend of mine who shows horses... she said they could run like that, just more common when their legs was staggered. Is that true? Or was she just being a sweetheart so's to save my feelings?
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

You have trotters and pacers. A trot us a diagonal gate where the front and rear feet on opposite sides move together.

A pace is where the front foot and rear foot on the same side move together. Some of the fastest harness horses of all time are pacers.

Walking horses, and most other gated horses do a modified pace.

So yes, your friend was right.
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I have come to realize in the last few minutes of reading I know absolutely nothing about horses except I can probably identify one by sight.
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Joe, I know that I wish I had the talent to carve a horse like Pablo did.

Ya gots talent there Pablo.
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Colonel26 wrote:Joe, I know that I wish I had the talent to carve a horse like Pablo did.

Ya gots talent there Pablo.
AMEN!! ::tu::
Joe
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Thanks y'all, I really do appreciate it. The model for this horse was a really old weathervane.

Joe I am about like you. I don't know a whole lot about them. I used to help to take care of a few on the family farm... I know you can over feed them, they can be dangerous, and they BITE! very hard...

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”