TL-29 Whittling Knife

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
dma1965

TL-29 Whittling Knife

Post by dma1965 »

I read an article in the Woodcarving Illustrated that showed how to make a locking whittling knife out of an old TL-29 electrician's knife. I found a lot of 4 old and corroded Camillus TL-29s on eBay for less than $20, so I decided to try this myself.

The person who wrote the article modified both blades, but I left the main (spear blade) as it was for utility purposes, and only modified the locking wire stripper/screwdriver blade. I have to say that it took me a very long time to get the blade thin enough to whittle with (and it still could be thinner), but I ended up with a VERY strong whittling knife that cleaned up very well. It is particularly well suited to carving very hard woods, like the olive wood pictured here, which has a tendency to tear up thinner blades.
Attachments
TL-29 Whittler
TL-29 Whittler
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: TL-29 Whittling Knife

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Interesting idea, and nice work on the knife. I can see what you mean about the blade thickness, but it sure enough should be stout. ::nod:: You must be a real experienced whittler. Most folks I know just stick with the softer woods.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dma1965

Post by dma1965 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Interesting idea, and nice work on the knife. I can see what you mean about the blade thickness, but it sure enough should be stout. ::nod:: You must be a real experienced whittler. Most folks I know just stick with the softer woods.

Ken
I have olive trees so I end up with lots of olive wood when I prune, which I like to keep for whittling and for making things like replacement tool handles. When I whittle basswood it feels like I am wittling butter.
junebug

Post by junebug »

SIMILAR MOD 8) ::tu::

PIC 1= BEFORE

PIC 2 & 3 = AFTER "GLENNBAD" MODDED HER UP 8) 8) 8)
(PLANS FOR ANOTHER BY HIM, BUT CANNOT MAKE UP MY MIND OF WHAT I WANT HIM TA DO THIS TIME :oops: ::undecided:: :mrgreen: )
Attachments
jan2013knives 016.JPG
MISC 003.JPG
MISC 001.JPG
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OOOOH, Josh. Daddy like. ::drool:: Another fine job by the Glenn man and check out the teardrop bottom on that baby. ::ds::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

............wow!!!!................. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ......................
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

After seeing some of the modded knives here, I can only say there's a high degree of skill that I'm trying to emulate, and the bar has been set...waaaay up there. Thanks for the inspiration.
whittlewise

Post by whittlewise »

If you are interested in selecting a knife to whittle with or whittling in general you might want to check out www.whittlewise.com. There is lots of information about whittling and how to get started.
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Nice job on the knife, I sure would like to get my hands on some dry olive wood!
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”