Just an idle thought

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Ringmaster

Just an idle thought

Post by Ringmaster »

I couldn't carve a toothpick, but I love carvings by someone with talent.

I was just wondering, if any of you fellers have ever tried cutting/carving any duck blocks ? (Decoys) ? I have a casual friend, down in S. Ark. that does a marvelous job, but he's kinda slow and very selective about who gets his work. He mostly does wood ducks, and an occasional mallard - only one goose, that I know of.

As I say, just an idle thought, on a non-productive day...

JR
"A knife without a blade, for which the handle is missing."
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain.
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Just an idle thought

Post by carvin don »

JR,

I have never tried carving waterfowl. The bird carving thing is a totally different beast. I know a few amazing bird carvers and they are mostly power carvers as well as incredible painters. The paint jobs on those realistic decoys can be downright scary real lookin'. I might try a caricature bird one of these days, but I'm not ready fer anything realistic, that's fer sure. Seems as though once you get into that arena, you're hooked, I bet yer buddy in Arkansas carves some pretty amazing realistic birds.
Don

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”