A little something for everybody

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

A little something for everybody

Post by Reverand »

I went into my Dad's shop building this morning (we live close, and he has lots of tools, so I do most of my work over there), and saw these two knives on his workbench.
Cedar knives
Cedar knives
He probably made them for his great-grandsons, or he might have just gotten bored. I also took a picture of this cedar bucket that he made, sitting on an antique straight-backed chair that he wove a new bottom for (out of white-oak strips that he split using his Grandfather's tools). Both of these were just sitting around the shop.
Cedar bucket on a white-oak-bottomed chair
Cedar bucket on a white-oak-bottomed chair
He also put up a flagpole recently, in front of his log store that he moved and restored (one of 5 log buildings on his property). It looks like I need to buy him a new flag for it already.
Flag pole
Flag pole
At 76 years old, he gets bored easily and just does whatever comes to mind.
I am proud to call him "Dad".
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A little something for everybody

Post by doglegg »

Very cool Reverand, some sweet work there. And the old log buildings, Wow. Thanks for sharing. ::handshake::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Approximately when was the log house and other log structures built ? Do you know what types of trees were used ? Have the logs been treated in any way, like UV protection or insect repellant, etc. ? And do the logs still have their 'integrity', meaning wood fibers are not breaking down ?
I have a log house built in 1981 and the south side gets a lot of sun which i think over time breaks down the fibers in the logs.
Good looking old house !
kj
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I like everything I see and everything you said. Outstanding. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

KJ,
That house was originally built in the late 1800's. I believe many of the logs are poplar, but I don't recall for sure.
The largest house that he rebuilt predated the American Civil War (known here in Alabama as "The War of Northern Aggression!). It had a mixture of Poplar, Oak, and the now nearly-extinct American Chestnut. Most of this work was done 20 years ago, and we found that Poplar and Cedar were the most insect-and rot-resistant woods that were used. Most of them had been adzed down to the heart wood. Most new wood doesn't last like this old timber did.
He numbered the logs, transported them to his property, and rebuilt them. Once they were stacked, he used a pressure-washer and washed them out with a mixture of water and diesel fuel.
By the way, my brother and I were the "cranes" used to carry the logs!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Wow, Reverend! You Dad's work is amazing! The restored log store is phenomenal!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Rev. I am surprised that Poplar lasts so long. My house is a mix of Larch/Fir/Hemlock and are full logs. Maybe cutting them down to heartwood does slow down the effects of 'weathering'.
Your father obviously liked to work. Moving the log buildings is a big project !
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Reverand wrote:I went into my Dad's shop building this morning (we live close, and he has lots of tools, so I do most of my work over there), and saw these two knives on his workbench.
C4A9E73C-6CE2-4E38-BA11-2C127C211D65.jpeg
He probably made them for his great-grandsons, or he might have just gotten bored. I also took a picture of this cedar bucket that he made, sitting on an antique straight-backed chair that he wove a new bottom for (out of white-oak strips that he split using his Grandfather's tools). Both of these were just sitting around the shop.
ABED6FF9-D625-4E84-B332-92EEAB9D3517.jpeg
He also put up a flagpole recently, in front of his log store that he moved and restored (one of 5 log buildings on his property). It looks like I need to buy him a new flag for it already.
74DDA545-BA91-4BB8-9523-9A97AC43B4DE.jpeg
At 76 years old, he gets bored easily and just does whatever comes to mind.
I am proud to call him "Dad".
Love the log store. I can see why you're proud to call him "Dad". ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Rev,
I got to lookin' real close at the tools on the porch and in the yard and that is a great collection of things lots of folks don't see very often or for that matter wouldn't even know what they were used for.
The carved hunting knives, I would say were whittled from red wood. They reminded me of red wood pistols my uncle's dad carved for me and a cousin around 1950. Unkie was building a house for someone in Orlando and he brought the scrapes from the red wood fascia boards home for his dad to whittle on. Grandpa Wes, as I called him, enjoyed whittling on the soft red wood.
Do y'all have the history of the old store building and how it came into your dad's possession?
The white oak chair seat is really neat! That's almost a lost art. There are a few folks here in the Panhandle that still make white oak baskets to keep the old skill alive.
Thanks for sharing your Dad's special possessions, the pictures stirred some old memories. ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
eveled

Post by eveled »

I hope your dad has some youngsters following him around and learning from him.

From the look of his work, he’s an American treasure himself.

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”