Are power tools cheating?

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
eveled

Are power tools cheating?

Post by eveled »

Dogleggs carved cross got me thinking how I was taught by my father, to cut it out with a band saw, then drill holes through the piece anyplace it would help. Either with a power or hand saw/drill. Part of the process as he taught it was to lay out the project and get rid of as much material the easiest way possible.

The cross has lots of round holes as part of the pattern, and the square holes would have been a snap with a mortising drill. On this project the holes are part of the finished project so the drill really seems like cheating. It occured to me I'm still cheating.

I know there are no real rules, hense no way to really cheat. I was just wondering what you all do. Hog away as much as possible, then whittle the details, or start from scratch and only use a knife?

Towards the end of my Dad's carving career he relied more and more on a Dremel tool. Funny thing was he refused to use a router on a sign.
Steve Warden

Re: Are power tools cheating?

Post by Steve Warden »

It's only cheating if you think it's cheating.
That said, if someone was carving items to sell, used power tools in the process, then claimed it was hand carved, to me that's cheating. To use a stronger word, lying with intent to deceive.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Yes it's cheating. That defeats the whole purpose of carving.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I like the right power tools when applicable. When I joined the senior citizens center they had a carving club, sign me up! One man was still using the same old knife too slightly remove a bit of wood on the same piece weeks later. So I asked him about it and he said something like he was a traditionalist. Didn't even work on it at home. Yikes! After taking a serious class on carving and going to clubs and the "wood carvers round up," I learned that power is the way to go when needed. My best investment for fine detailing was the 30,000 RPM micro detailer for $300 at the time. Several makers and my friend bought the Fordom version for $700. For doing eyes and setting in glass eyes in birds or decoys that is the way to go. Bob
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

With all due respect to some opinions, I have to disagree.

Cave dwellers used their fingers and even their mouths to spew pigment onto walls, did the advent of the paintbrush and canvas mean artists were cheating? And how about the artist that works with airbrushes to achieve their intended goal?

Early builders used hammer and nails and flat bladed screwdrivers, Does the use of airnailers and screwguns with phillips head screws make them any less talented?

Early knifemakers used hammer and forge and files, does it mean that every knifemaker using stock removal with stamped or rolled steel, grinders, polishers, etc..are cheating?

And, the earliest woodcarvers had very few tools to work with, possibly even only a single knife. Would having access to chisels and palm gouges mean they were cheating if they use them?

In our studio we work with wood, steel, glass, plastics, paint and almost any other medium you could think of. IMHO, using any and all of the tools at our disposal isn't cheating. It's the personal touches and abilities of the individual that make art what it is, not the tools they use in their creations.

Again, JMHO

WB
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I whittle cause I enjoy it. I don't have any power tools but if I did I would probably use them. I think it is only smart to take advantage of your resourses. I know folks who shoot black powder, I don't like the mess, but they enjoy it so good for them. Do what you like, tell the truth and enjoy it. I think nothing less of MRWatch cause he uses power tools, I actually admire his work. If I used power tool I still could not produce the quality that he does. Glennbad, Tony Wood and others produce some fabulous knives and they use different tools than hellize but all produce beautiful stuff. Only cheating if you claim it is something it is not. But a fair question. Also if I used power tools I would have to go from band aids to stitches.
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

I use hand tools to carve because they are quieter, pretty much dust free, and FASTER than using a Dremel or Foredom.

I have the power tools and use them when it is better and faster, like using a chainsaw to break down a log, and a band saw to remove some big chunks of waste. Sometimes, the best tool is an axe. Making soft looking feathers and fur is easier with the rotary power tools. When actually carving the shape of a person or animal though, and working on facial or clothing detail, I have proved to myself many times over that sharp knives and gouges, are many times faster than rotary grinder type tools, and produce a better result too.

I have, in fact, challenged power carvers to a contest: " lets both carve a say, a 12 inch tall human caricature figure from a bandsawn blank of basswood. I will use knives, gouges, possibly a mallet, you use a Dremel, a Fordom, a micromotor possibly an Automach. At the end of 5 hours, have independent judges determine who has carved the most. (Carving the best would be another matter for another time). The one who has carved the most gets the other guys's tools. Lets go!" No one has yet taken me up on this. This is because they see me take off more wood with one sweep of my knife in one second, than they will be able to remove in several minutes with their Dremel. I don't need to wear a dust mask or hearing protection to do it either. I can converse with those around me!

It is a personal preference thing of course, but I really do not like the look of power carved figures. I can usually spot them from several feet away. They just don't look "carved" to me. Some carvers "fix" this, with varying degrees of effectiveness, by doing the basic work of shaping their projects with power tools, and then whittling the surfaces afterwards with knives and gouges.

When I carve a 6 ft tall figure out of a log, I certainly start with a chain saw - but I finish with gouges. I have tried the angle grinders etc. but find the gouges better, and mostly faster too.

If the material used is bone, or stone, I am sure the power tool is faster, but I have not found this to be the case with most of the kinds of wood that are usually carved. Really tiny projects can benefit from the use of Dremels and micro motor tools.

I think that may power carvers use these devices because they don't know how to sharpen edged tools, and dull tools do not do a very good job. If you can learn to carve though, you can learn to sharpen.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mr. Chips wrote:I use hand tools to carve because they are quieter, pretty much dust free, and FASTER than using a Dremel or Foredom.

I have the power tools and use them when it is better and faster, like using a chainsaw to break down a log, and a band saw to remove some big chunks of waste. Sometimes, the best tool is an axe. Making soft looking feathers and fur is easier with the rotary power tools. When actually carving the shape of a person or animal though, and working on facial or clothing detail, I have proved to myself many times over that sharp knives and gouges, are many times faster than rotary grinder type tools, and produce a better result too.

I have, in fact, challenged power carvers to a contest: " lets both carve a say, a 12 inch tall human caricature figure from a bandsawn blank of basswood. I will use knives, gouges, possibly a mallet, you use a Dremel, a Fordom, a micromotor possibly an Automach. At the end of 5 hours, have independent judges determine who has carved the most. (Carving the best would be another matter for another time). The one who has carved the most gets the other guys's tools. Lets go!" No one has yet taken me up on this. This is because they see me take off more wood with one sweep of my knife in one second, than they will be able to remove in several minutes with their Dremel. I don't need to wear a dust mask or hearing protection to do it either. I can converse with those around me!

It is a personal preference thing of course, but I really do not like the look of power carved figures. I can usually spot them from several feet away. They just don't look "carved" to me. Some carvers "fix" this, with varying degrees of effectiveness, by doing the basic work of shaping their projects with power tools, and then whittling the surfaces afterwards with knives and gouges.

When I carve a 6 ft tall figure out of a log, I certainly start with a chain saw - but I finish with gouges. I have tried the angle grinders etc. but find the gouges better, and mostly faster too.

If the material used is bone, or stone, I am sure the power tool is faster, but I have not found this to be the case with most of the kinds of wood that are usually carved. Really tiny projects can benefit from the use of Dremels and micro motor tools.

I think that may power carvers use these devices because they don't know how to sharpen edged tools, and dull tools do not do a very good job. If you can learn to carve though, you can learn to sharpen.
Mr Chips if you get a chance post some pictures of your work here. I would love to see some. Thanks.
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

I would like to post pics.

Can't figure out how.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mr. Chips wrote:I would like to post pics.

Can't figure out how.
The first thread in this forum shows how to post pictures. ---► viewforum.php?f=98
There are all kinds of instructions on how to do this & that in the rest of that forum.

As for the OP question "Are power tools cheating?"........ HECK NO! If the old timers had access to the power tools we have today, they sure as shootin' would have used them. Do you think they actually enjoyed the laborious hand work it took to make something? I doubt it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

Can't seem to make it work.

Going for a hike now
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

At least for me it didn't work Mr Chips.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mr. Chips wrote:Can't seem to make it work.

Going for a hike now
I guess I assumed (I seem to do that a lot) you're trying to post pictures from a PC. So I should have asked what you are trying to post pictures from.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

014.JPG
008.JPG
002.JPG
009 Rick Wiebe Santa.JPG
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

I figured it out. (I think)
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Those are awesome. You're very talented!

Gotta love a hand carved Santa and the hammer wielding "Anesthetest" is a hoot!

Nicely done!!

WB
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mr. Chips wrote:I figured it out. (I think)
Mr Chips, you figured out the carving before you figured out the posting. Those are super. Love each individual one and the theme and humor. Hope we see more. Thanks.
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

Thanks for the encouraging comments.
Here are some more, all carved from cottonwood bark.
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mr. Chips wrote:Thanks for the encouraging comments.
Here are some more, all carved from cottonwood bark.IMG_0011.JPGIMG_0012.JPGIMG_0013.JPG
I have never tried cottonwood bark or caricatures. But you do good work.
wlf

Post by wlf »

You are talented Chips. I especially liked the bottles,gun and holster ,and the bag of toys. ::tu:: ::tu::
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

The brother of a good friend used to carve duck and geese miniatures using cottonwood bark. He created small panoramic scenes with water, trees, cattails, etc...some of which he used matchsticks and toothpicks.

One of his earlier endeavors was this relief carving on the stock of one of my favorite shotguns.
SANY0002.JPG
In keeping with the OP, I don't believe he ever used a power tool in any of his creations. I'm thinking it's a classic case of "to each his own".

WB
wlf

Post by wlf »

That's professional Rob.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Yeah, I was a little nervous at first Lyle, but I think he did a very nice job and he only got better over the years. I have pics on a recently "downed" computer of a couple of the panoramic scenes, hopefully I'll get them retrieved someday. They're pretty amazing and very lifelike.

WB
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

whitebuffalo58 wrote:The brother of a good friend used to carve duck and geese miniatures using cottonwood bark. He created small panoramic scenes with water, trees, cattails, etc...some of which he used matchsticks and toothpicks.

One of his earlier endeavors was this relief carving on the stock of one of my favorite shotguns.

SANY0002.JPG

In keeping with the OP, I don't believe he ever used a power tool in any of his creations. I'm thinking it's a classic case of "to each his own".

WB
Awesome.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I have done a number of cottonwood bark carvings of the long winding stairs to houses for hanging on the wall. caution the wood is known to have sand in it. do not use your best blades on it. it also breaks off easy so have your instant glue handy. The bark was mailed ordered by the club members and split the cost. I also have done several cypress knees including one, emerging spirits. every bump turns into a face of one size or another. We also split a order of diamond willow to make walking sticks. ::super_happy::

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”