Peach seed baskets

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Jdub

Peach seed baskets

Post by Jdub »

I have just figured out how to do these in the last year. My wife's great grandfather use to make them, she has one that he made. It took a while to figure out how to do it. Finally got it. All done with a pocket knife.
Attachments
IMG_3205.JPG
IMG_3206.JPG
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Peach seed baskets

Post by QTCut5 »

What kind of pocketknife did you use?

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

I use a case 6380 and a Old henkels with a wharncliff blade, which makes it alot easier. The blade that's broken off works great for tight spots.
Attachments
IMG_3214.JPG
IMG_3215.JPG
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Right On! Very 'Old School', it's great that you're keeping the old knowledge & traditions alive.

BTW...the stag on the Henkels is gorgeous. ::nod::

Keep on whittling, Bro. Can't wait to see your next project...a solid link chain, perhaps? or maybe the famous whittler's ultimate challenge: a ball inside a cage? When I was a boy scout, every summer at scout camp all the scoutmasters would sit around whittling all day while the scouts worked on merit badges. At the end of the week, the scouts were allowed to vote on the scoutmasters' carvings and the camp director would award a prize (usually a watermelon) to the scoutmaster with the best carving. All us scouts were mighty impressed with some of the amazing & creative things the scoutmasters could make using just a basic pocketknife. The skill level for some of those guys was mind-blowing.

Ahhh...Good memories of better days, for sure.

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
wlf

Post by wlf »

Those are cool Justin. Seems I have seen those kinds of baskets somewhere when I was a little kid around here.

I like your taste in knives. That 80 is a great carry , I carried a USA for years.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

Thanks guys, I have always liked to be cutting on something. I tried the ball and cage only to fail. It's very challenging.The henkels is a heck of a knife. Super stag and very snappy. The broke blade bothered me at first but it really comes in handy for tight spots.
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

wlf wrote:Those are cool Justin. Seems I have seen those kinds of baskets somewhere when I was a little kid around here.

I like your taste in knives. That 80 is a great carry , I carried a USA for years.
I have a huge huge weakness for the 80!!!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Nice work Justin. So far my carvings have all ended up being a pointed stick. ::facepalm::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I've just looked at an awsome spoon you carved, a pipe, and now these little baskets. I have zero artistic abilities and I have a lot of respect for those that do. And you do great work. Thanks for showing them to us.
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

espn77 wrote:I've just looked at an awsome spoon you carved, a pipe, and now these little baskets. I have zero artistic abilities and I have a lot of respect for those that do. And you do great work. Thanks for showing them to us.
You are welcome. I enjoy doing it.
WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw »

Those are really neat. I don't think I've ever seen one before. Gives me a reason to pick up some peaches lol How long did you dry out the pits?
Greg
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

WV Papaw wrote:Those are really neat. I don't think I've ever seen one before. Gives me a reason to pick up some peaches lol How long did you dry out the pits?
Not long, you can actually eat your peach and go to carving if you want.they do seem to do a little better after they have sat a day or so.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Peach pits are a hard medium. You're a patient man. Nice job.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

jerryd6818 wrote:Peach pits are a hard medium. You're a patient man. Nice job.
Thank you. My fingers are sure sore after completing one.. lol
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I admire your patience and perseverance. A friend whittled a "Willow-Eye" stick (cane) for me as a gift. I wanted to try it so he gave me three (I think) of the raw sticks. I didn't get very far before quitting.

This is three different views of the product of his labors. Without looking, I'm pretty sure I still have those raw sticks if anyone wants to give it a whirl.
Attachments
DSC08573.JPG
DSC08574.JPG
DSC08575.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

jerryd6818 wrote:I admire your patience and perseverance. A friend whittled a "Willow-Eye" stick (cane) for me as a gift. I wanted to try it so he gave me three (I think) of the raw sticks. I didn't get very far before quitting.

This is three different views of the product of his labors. Without looking, I'm pretty sure I still have those raw sticks if anyone wants to give it a whirl.
Very nice. I have a couple I have tried my hand on as well. Will post pics when I can remember..

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”