MOUNTAIN CORPS

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

MOUNTAIN CORPS

Post by Ridgegrass »

Picked up the Mountain Corps issue knife today in Bridgeville, Delaware at an antique mall. It was lying in a box of twenty knives in a basket open on a counter way back in the store, with no one around. (A definite invitation to thieves.)
It's an Ulster. I've had 2 before, sold one in A-1 condition ::facepalm:: and now I have two with tipped main blades. I have a friend who is 98 who carried one with the 10th Mountain Corps when they scaled Pointe du Hoc on D-Day at Normandy. Can't wait to show it to him.
Lucky day! Won't brag but it was dirt cheap. Tight and snappy. :D :D J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_4641.jpg
eveled

Re: MOUNTAIN CORPS

Post by eveled »

Awesome find! Wow!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Cool find, J.O'. Some of my favorite Ulsters. ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
image000000.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Those are cool little knives!! I have had a couple of them, but my favorite was an unused first model which in a fit of weakness I let go to somebody who made me an offer I couldn't refuse. One note about these is that many say that Ulster changed to the more modern mark when Baer bought them out before the war yet all the Mountain knives and some other pocket knives made by Ulster for the war effort still bear the old style mark. I am pretty sure the Ulster mark did not change until after the war.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Nice "old warrior" pick up J.O.! Please bring it to the show. ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

RED: Amazing, the knife was marked $18 too, and the dealer had a 20% deal going so..... ::tu:: You probably know that place on US-13 in Bridgeville.
HERB: I will
GUNSIL: My first one was near mint and like you I regrettably sold it. ( Back in the 90's I thought I wanted to be a dealer and now I have a very long list of knives that I wish I hadn't sold)

I need to clear up the history from my original post. The old soldier I mentioned was at Pointe du Hoc at Normandy. He must have been with the Rangers as the 10th evidently was not there. We met him when the band played for a 10th Mountain reunion some years ago. So he must have transferred to the 10th Mountain at some later time. He showed up again at the Memorial Day or Veterans Day (?) ceremonies here in Ocean City two years ago.
By the way, during the D-day operations he met and later married a French girl who was still with him when they showed up at that last event.
We did discuss the Mountain (Division) knife when we met the first time and he told me he had one.
I was mistaken to imply that the 10th Mountain was at Pointe du Hoc on D-Day but he sure was. Amazing old soldier and shaking his old hand somehow gives one a magical connection to history. He may well be gone now as he said he couldn't make any more events when last we met. God Bless him and his bride. It was a privilege and honor to know him.
J.O'.
TPK

Post by TPK »

8) Cool knives! ::nod:: ::tu::

$18 John? :shock: That was a great deal! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Minus 20% = $14.40, and no tax in Delaware. ::ds:: I rarely ceow on a price but....... :D J.O'.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”