Question about a bayonet.

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
OSCAR

Question about a bayonet.

Post by OSCAR »

Hopefully someone can help with this. I collect knives and have no knowledge about bayonets. Friend of mine is selling one I like. It’s a Waffenfabrik Neuhausan. Serial number is 445xxx. The name sounds German but It has a Swiss Cross on it.
1) Not sure if made in Switzerland or Germany ?
2) Year of manufacture ?
3) Approximate value. I’d say condition of bayonet is fair to good. Minor scratches on blade from scabbard. Very sparse and mild pitting. The scabbard is a bit banged up but tight fitting and locks up perfectly with bayonet. Much of scabbard has worn finish. Given that it was military, and it’s age, I’d expect it to be less than mint, especially if it was issued and used by the military.
Thanks for any advice on this you can provide. I know my knives but if I get this, it will be my first bayonet.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
cody6268

Re: Question about a bayonet.

Post by cody6268 »

I found a Swiss site that lists some Waffenfabrik Neuhausen items. While not a company I'm familiar with (my experience with Swiss knives is all folders and a handful of fixed blades--been itching for a Wenger or Victorinox/Elsener bayonet for a while), they were Swiss; and they are Swiss issue.

The ones they show are going for 158 Swiss francs, which is $167.52.

https://military-world-shop.ch/waffenfabrik-neuhausen/

If no date, it was made prior to the 1920s. There should be one stamped somewhere on it if it is newer than that.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:14 pm I found a Swiss site that lists some Waffenfabrik Neuhausen items. While not a company I'm familiar with (my experience with Swiss knives is all folders and a handful of fixed blades--been itching for a Wenger or Victorinox/Elsener bayonet for a while), they were Swiss; and they are Swiss issue.

If no date, it was made prior to the 1920s. There should be one stamped somewhere on it if it is newer than that.
Thanks Cody. I think I’m going to buy this. Hopefully I won’t get a bayonet addiction on top of my knife addiction. This design really appeals to me. Thanks again for your help.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

OSCAR wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:32 pm
cody6268 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:14 pm I found a Swiss site that lists some Waffenfabrik Neuhausen items. While not a company I'm familiar with (my experience with Swiss knives is all folders and a handful of fixed blades--been itching for a Wenger or Victorinox/Elsener bayonet for a while), they were Swiss; and they are Swiss issue.

Thanks Cody. I think I’m going to buy this. Hopefully I won’t get a bayonet addiction on top of my knife addiction. This design really appeals to me. Thanks again for your help.
Cody, here’s a photo of the bayonet. It’s a great design.
Attachments
9A7636BB-497B-46DE-B78F-231DFEFC7463.jpeg

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”