A rubber handle on a Camillus M4 bayonet, w/ US M8A1 composition scabbard?

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

A rubber handle on a Camillus M4 bayonet, w/ US M8A1 composition scabbard?

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I found a Camillus M4 bayonet, with a US M8A1 composition scabbard. The handle is rubber and looks in very good condition not like a 60- or 70-year-old handle should. The bayonet is marked Camillus M4 and has a flaming bomb cartouche/stamping. Has anyone heard of rubber grips being used? What would the going value be on a piece like that in good to very good condition?
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
zzyzzogeton

Re: A rubber handle on a Camillus M4 bayonet, w/ US M8A1 composition scabbard?

Post by zzyzzogeton »

These were rehandled on Okinawa, allegedly during the VN war. The leather handles on issued M4 were rotting off in the jungle so the Marines came up with a "field expedient fix", i.e., taking M4s in the supply system on Okinawa out into the Japanese economy (probably in the little town of Naha at the south end of the island) and having rubber handles made for them.

I personnally have Imperial, Utica and Kinfolks M4s with rubber handles.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:46 am These were rehandled on Okinawa, allegedly during the VN war. The leather handles on issued M4 were rotting off in the jungle so the Marines came up with a "field expedient fix", i.e., taking M4s in the supply system on Okinawa out into the Japanese economy (probably in the little town of Naha at the south end of the island) and having rubber handles made for them.

I personnally have Imperial, Utica and Kinfolks M4s with rubber handles.
Thanks! I think I can get it for about $110, does that sound fair to you?
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

It's higher than what I paid for mine ($65 to $85), but that was back in 2014 and 2015 when I got mine.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:46 am It's higher than what I paid for mine ($65 to $85), but that was back in 2014 and 2015 when I got mine.
OK, thanks, maybe I can get it a little cheaper, I like it, but it will just go into a case or shoe box....

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”