Can anyone date this please.,i think its ww2 but not sure

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Greeny

Can anyone date this please.,i think its ww2 but not sure

Post by Greeny »

I have an old british army knife,please can someone dat it for me?
Attachments
British army knife ?
British army knife ?
Can anyone dat this for me ?
Can anyone dat this for me ?
ea42

Re: Can anyone date this please.,i think its ww2 but not sure

Post by ea42 »

With that style opener I think it would be an army knife, post 1939 or thereabouts.

Eric
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Greeny wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:18 pm I.....
This is all that I could find.
Per GOINS (see the picture below).
Click on the picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Froe

Post by Froe »

The British 'broad arrow' mark is on the can opener and I believe that denotes government ownership. I would think it was military. But if I'm remembering correctly, the ones I've seen before had a date stamp too.
Froe
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Froe is correct. The broad arrow represents Great Britain ownership & the knife is WWII.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Greeny

Post by Greeny »

Wow,thank you all for your help. Very informative.
What would it be worth now in GBP sterling ?
Thankyou all 😀
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Greeny wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:04 am Wow,thank you all for your help. Very informative.
What would it be worth now in GBP sterling ?
Thankyou all 😀
It's worth what ever you can get some sucker to pay for it. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $15-23 GBP. But that's just me. JMO
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

The bottle opener hook on the tin opener blade usually indicates late war production, 1944-45.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

My opinion is it's more likely Navy with the "marlinspike", a rope-working tool.
Here's a JOSEPH RODGERS & SONS aluminum handled with no military mark but it does have the "G(crown)R' stamp which, I think, is for King George, and it's stamped, "1939". I've heard people say the smooth panel in the scale may have been for the ship/boat or owner's name ???? This one had been stamped but someone filed it off and only a couple letters are discernible. Those knives are a nice category to collect. I've seen yours asking $40. I think that's top of the market but there's always the bottomless wallet of e-bay. Good luck with it. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_4050.jpg
IMG_4049.jpg
IMG_4051 (1).jpg
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

Ridgegrass - Your knife is the Navy version. It was in service from 1940 until 1986. Later versions will have either a VOCAB or NATO stock number on the ricasso of the blade along with the maker's name. It replaced the Admiralty Pattern 301. The panel on the scales is indeed intended for the owner to stamp their service number. Most I've seen are not marked on the scales.

The smaller black scaled knife Greeny shows is the Army model. Starting with the knives produced for the Boer War the War Department specified a spike on the issue Army knife. Originally issued to mounted troops with instructions to dull the point on the spike so it could be used as a hoof pick the knife was soon approved for issue to all troops. The Pattern 6353/1905 added a tin opener to the Boer War model. The 6353/1905 was replaced in 1938/39 by the smaller one Greeny posted. The scales are a cellulose acetate plastic trademarked Bexoid. There were some versions made without the spike, but the three blade version is more numerous. Starting in 1945 an all stainless knife with stainless scales started replacing the WWII knife.

Remember that well through WWII rope was used to secure loads in vehicles, guy tents and antennas and generally tie things up, down and to each other. In this day of ratchet straps and bungie cords it is hard to realize just how ubiquitous rope was 50-100 years ago. That's why you often see these knives listed on ebay and other sites as Navy or rigger's knives. People just assume a spike means shipboard use. Not so. In fact I still carry a 6353/1905 on camping trips, the spike being still as useful as it was during WWI. If you've ever tried to untie a knot that is wet, muddy and has been under strain from a shifting load you know how handy a marlin spike can be.

Here are some samples of the issue knives from the Boer War through WWII
WD issue knives.jpg
Top my EDC SAK for scale
1st row L-R Boer War model, 6353/1905
2nd row 6353/1905 open
3rd row Camillus and Schatt & Morgan 6353/1905 made for Canada WWI
4th row Turner made for Canada WWI
5th row Pattern 8171/1914, Pattern 8172/1914 WWI
6th row Case made for Canada WWII and early post war
7th row three blade WWII issue Army knife (notice no bottle opener on open knife)
8th row two bladed WWII knife and 1945 dated all-stainless issue knife
9th row 1870 dated Navy rope knife (square tipped blades typical of Navy issued knives)
10th row Admiralty Pattern 301, 1940-1986 Navy issue
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

CHB: That's some good info and a nice collection. I have around eight but yours are superb! The all metal one's with shackle keys are: Ibberson. Utica and Curry, Ltd. Thanks again. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_4054.jpg

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”