Ulster TL-29, wood covers. Unsure about the date.

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Nephilim

Ulster TL-29, wood covers. Unsure about the date.

Post by Nephilim »

I picked up an old Ulster TL-29 and I was hoping you fellows could help figure out the details of this particular example.
Tang reads "Ulster U.S.A." on the left side. Wood covers and nickle silver bolsters.
Tang reads "Ulster U.S.A." on the left side. Wood covers and nickle silver bolsters.
Other side is stamped TL-29.
Other side is stamped TL-29.
Liners are brass, so this isn't a WW2 production.
Liners are brass, so this isn't a WW2 production.
Condition is pretty good, springs are firm, action sooth with a good half stop. I'm fairly sure this is a military issue knife, but I'm really not sure about the date. Any ideas?
cody6268

Re: Ulster TL-29, wood covers. Unsure about the date.

Post by cody6268 »

I'm gonna say probably postwar, late '40s, early '50s. In the '50s, everyone went to shrinky-dink, and in the '60s, everyone started moving to Delrin as standard.
Nephilim

Re: Ulster TL-29, wood covers. Unsure about the date.

Post by Nephilim »

Thanks for the reply. I did some more research, and found some old AAPK forum posts and now I think that the handles are a patented, resin impregnated wood, "Wonda Wood". I think Ulster was making these in a early 60s, not sure if they were using that material any earlier. Also, I'm less sure this is military issue, as the civilian models also had the TL-29 tang stamp, I think.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”