What’s this knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Jasonp

What’s this knife

Post by Jasonp »

Hi, can anyone tell me anything about this knife, we got it when my wife’s grand father passed away
Attachments
09CDFA03-FB37-4C80-A09A-AD498F4CEA1B.jpeg
8A131DC3-27CB-42A9-B94A-E4D8DD3CB8A7.jpeg
Gunsil

Re: What’s this knife

Post by Gunsil »

I think this question was answered correctly recently. It is a WW2 era British soldiers knife made in 1944 as the mark shows. The phaeon, or "broad arrow" is the British military acceptance mark, all British military issued equipment will be so marked from before the American revolution to now. The secondary blade is a caplifter/can opener combination tool.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Looks like a military knife issued to servicemen. Usually there will be a maker’s name stamped on the tang (base) of the master blade. I can’t see from you pictures if one exists on the knife. From the “Oil the joints” stamp and the shape of the can opener my guess is it was made by George Wostenholm. The firm was located in Sheffield, England.

Someone here may be able to positively identify it. Meanwhile check for any marks stamped on the blades.

Ken

Edit: There you go. Gunsil was typing a reply at the same time I was. Go with what he says.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:16 pm Welcome to AAPK. Looks like a military knife issued to servicemen. Usually there will be a maker’s name stamped on the tang (base) of the master blade. I can’t see from you pictures if one exists on the knife. From the “Oil the joints” stamp and the shape of the can opener my guess is it was made by George Wostenholm. The firm was located in Sheffield, England.

Someone here may be able to positively identify it. Meanwhile check for any marks stamped on the blades.
Stamped on the handle side: "M.Slater"
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

knife7knut wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:39 am
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:16 pm Welcome to AAPK. Looks like a military knife issued to servicemen. Usually there will be a maker’s name stamped on the tang (base) of the master blade. I can’t see from you pictures if one exists on the knife. From the “Oil the joints” stamp and the shape of the can opener my guess is it was made by George Wostenholm. The firm was located in Sheffield, England.

Stamped on the handle side: "M.Slater"
Thanks Ray. I saw that but it didn’t register at the time in my feeble mind that it might be the maker. Is “M. Slater” the same as ”Slater Bros. Sheffield” or “H.M. Slater LTD. Sheffield”?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:00 am
Thanks Ray. I saw that but it didn’t register at the time in my feeble mind that it might be the maker. Is “M. Slater” the same as ”Slater Bros. Sheffield” or “H.M. Slater LTD. Sheffield”?

Ken
I believe the H.M.Slater is the earliest iteration of that mark;followed by Slater Bros. and then M.Slater.Goins doesn't define it but I think they are all the same company.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

That pattern of knife was intended for issue in Southeast Asia and was nicknamed the Burma Knife. That particular model was only made in 1944 and 45, by a variety of manufacturers. I have one by Sheffield Steel Products and I've seen them by Joseph Rodgers and others. The scales are made of aluminum and the blades are stainless steel. In my experience, these things are built like tanks. They're the basis for a similar post-war model that was made from the 1950s until the 2000s, but with different shaped scales and a modern can opener. You'll find some good info on British military knives in the eponymous thread on this forum.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I use a similar post-war model as an EDC. It is a great knife to have in your pocket :wink:
Attachments
DSCF2390.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”