MD USN

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

MD USN

Post by doglegg »

Got this Kutmaster MD USN etched knife out of the bay. I believe it to be post WW2 as it has brass liners. The etch is very faint. Anyway am pleased to get it. The bone handle is cracked but my bones aren't in much better shape. Thanks for looking. ::handshake::
DSCN6770.JPG
DSCN6779.JPG
DSCN6777.JPG
DSCN6778.JPG
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: MD USN

Post by Ripster »

doglegg wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:08 pm Got this Kutmaster MD USN etched knife out of the bay. I believe it to be post WW2 as it has brass liners. The etch is very faint. Anyway am pleased to get it. The bone handle is cracked but my bones aren't in much better shape. Thanks for looking. ::handshake::DSCN6770.JPGDSCN6779.JPGDSCN6777.JPGDSCN6778.JPG
Great piece!! Really like the long pull and those lovely handles . Nicely done, thanks for sharing ::handshake::
JP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks JP. ::handshake::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

doglegg wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:08 pm Got.....
By time you get done Floyd,
the bay will be fished out. ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Skip, my bait supply will probably run out first. ::facepalm::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Good find Floyd.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That’s a nice one to be sure!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Not a bad crack, Floyd; looks fixed.
Love that thick, hell for stout, center liner.
You got a keeper.
Joe
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

That is a nice knife. The long pull is exceptional!

Bob
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

What's not to like about that knife? ::shrug:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

That is one heck of an fine ole navy knife, thanks for sharing (and rescuing) him Floyd. Now go stick 'em in your pocket, that's an order squirt!
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Jerry, Wade, redrider, FRJ (yes it isn't bad at all and love those bones and it is built like a tank) ,Bob, (I'm a fan of long pulls as well), WillyC (it will probably never see my pocket, I usually only carry my old 72 and a Benchmade Fecas. I wanted this one to remind me of my corpsman friend who recently passed away. Ed Silva, served in Korea and Viet Nam, a Christian gentleman who saved multiple lives in his career.) Thanks again. ::handshake::
eveled

Post by eveled »

Great knife. It’s a great way to remember your friend Ed.

I was unaware of that one, I have the newer one with the shield stamped MD USN.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Camillus was still making one after the war for a while. During the war Kutmaster, utica (I think) and Camillus made them. With it not being steel liners I assume this one is post war. I have seen those with the shield and thought they were Korean war but I'm really not sure. Thanks. ::handshake::
eveled

Post by eveled »

I always thought the ones with that style can opener and the two piece ones were from before the war. Once the hook style was invented they stopped using the older styles? Am I way off?
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

You probably know a lot more than me. Thanks.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

eveled, I found another knife like this one from an old ebay listing that had black handles. It had the same can opener. Also looking at mine, it appears that it once had a bail that has been removed.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

eveled, Silvey does show the knife as being a WW2 knife on page 58 with the blade etch. Thanks for correcting my assumption. I guess early knives would have had the brass liners. Thanks for getting me to look a little deeper.
eveled

Post by eveled »

5837A379-3770-4FCE-8F4F-F31CF179299C.jpeg
4D82FA2C-9444-49D0-AB3A-257C6229A491.jpeg
It’s fun to learn about these old knives. Especially the military pocket knives. They get over looked, the combat knives get all the glory.

I agree yours probably lost it’s bail along the way. Most if not all 4 blade camp/scout style knives have bails.

I always wondered why the USN marked their 4 blade knives with the MD it’s the same knife the other branches gave everyone. Then had a USN marked 3 blade knife for the sailors when nobody else even issued a 3 blade knife. It’s strange.

All the bone handled ones I have have brass liners and two piece can openers. (Except for the Mountain division model with a hook can opener, but it’s different than the ones after the war)I think they are early or Pre ww2.

I don’t have any with blade etches or a can opener like yours. It’s a great knife to have.

After ww2 they all had the one piece hook can opener. ((AFAIK)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thank you Sir for the information and what a great group you have. ::nod:: ::nod:: I read that the MD USN knives were part of medical kits including gauze, bandage, iodine etc. I saw a couple of list of what was included. I also read that the original specs stated shield stamped MD USN but allowed the absence of a shield if there was a blade etch. Thanks again for the information and the wonderful pics of yours. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::

Also to have one of the Mountain division knives is a treasure. Yours looks good. ::nod:: ::nod::
eveled

Post by eveled »

I just found this on line pretty interesting document.
1E78011E-FD6D-4B25-B1D8-74EBD9268349.jpeg
Thanks for the kind words. The mountain division knife, is a tough one to get, mine looks good from this side but is damaged on the other. Still it’s a neat knife. The flat bail, the Phillips bit, the clip point master and sheep’s foot all make it unique.

The reading I’ve done on the mountain division knives all indicate mine is the last version because of its eagle beak can opener (I’ve been calling it a hook style). That’s why I use the can opener to estimate the age of these knives, and why I think yours is early or prewar.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

eveled wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:52 pm I just found this on line pretty interesting document. 1E78011E-FD6D-4B25-B1D8-74EBD9268349.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words. The mountain division knife, is a tough one to get, mine looks good from this side but is damaged on the other. Still it’s a neat knife. The flat bail, the Phillips bit, the clip point master and sheep’s foot all make it unique.

The reading I’ve done on the mountain division knives all indicate mine is the last version because of its eagle beak can opener (I’ve been calling it a hook style). That’s why I use the can opener to estimate the age of these knives, and why I think yours is early or prewar.
eveled, I missed this until just now. And it is an interesting document. One day I'll find one of those mountain division knives that I can afford. Thanks for the info. ::handshake::
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Awesome find Floyd ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Paul. Any WW 2 knives floating around England? ::shrug:: ::handshake::
Checkered past

Post by Checkered past »

Hi all. Well I have dipped into the US WWII pocket knife pool. I was lucky enough to find a M.D. U.S.N. knife in my local area. It's a Camillus 4 line. Steel liners and spacer. Unfortunately when I got there there was another. An Imperial tang stamped MD USN knife, also steel liners and spacer. Good snap in both. Nice that the Camillus is engraved on the bolster as well.

These are pretty hard to find in Canada so really happy to have them. I look forward to tracking down some more...
20221119_124613.jpg
20221119_124356.jpg
20221119_123937.jpg
Picture_20224419124448.jpg
Picture_20224119124127.jpg

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”