WWI era canvas sheath

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Wonderboy

WWI era canvas sheath

Post by Wonderboy »

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what knife this 1918 canvas sheath was meant to carry. I've searched a lot of places but can't find any military knives which would be correct for this sheath, nor can I find any reference to C & A Co., the sheath maker. The knife blade length should be close to 7 inches, width about 1 3/4 inches. When I got the knife about 45 years ago it held this old L.L.Bean camp knife, but that blade is a bit too long for this sheath. Any help will be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1473.JPG
IMG_1474 (1).JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: WWI era canvas sheath

Post by 1967redrider »

Is that the correct knife match for the sheath? ::shrug:: Thanks! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Can't say anything about the canvas knife sheath but I'll say that is a fine looking 1917 rifle! Who made it, if you don't mind? ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I'm thinking it's the carry sheath for trench warfare wire cutters. The US has 2 or 3 different models during WW1.
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

I will try to cover a lot of ground with one reply to all of the responses I got to my original post.

1967redrider - That's an old L.L.Bean camp knife shown in the OP. It doesn't fit the sheath, but that's what was in the sheath when I acquired it.

treefarmer - That's a Winchester made Model 1917 shown. Action is original but the stock has been crudely sporterized.

zzyzzogeton - I thought that maybe you are onto something thinking that maybe the sheath was for a wire cutter, and I find several pictures of similar looking sheaths for wire cutters or pliers, but all have hooks to attach to a web belt. This sheath has slots to run a belt thru and also has what I'm sure is an original keeper strap and snap to secure the handle of a knife.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Wonderboy
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

I'd like to see a picture of the back of the sheath. It almost looks as though the leather upper piece has been added on. I'm thinking a wire cutter pouch that has been modified into a knife sheath by adding the belt hanger and securing strap portion.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Got a reply back from Mr. Trzaska (my go to source for all things military tools related).

He states that he has seen pictures of these over the years and has assumed they were some type of tool carrier but has not found a specific identification use. When he looked through the WW1 contracts, he found a "Churchill & Alden" listed as shoe makers. He did not know if they would have had the tooling to make these or not.

Wonderboy -

He asked if the carrier has a leather welt on the inside that would have protected the carrier from the edge of knife, which would at least identify it as a knife carrier or "some other type of tool" carrier.
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

The first photo in the original post is of the back of the sheath showing the makers initials etc. The upper leather portion with the belt slits appears to be original to the sheath, not an add-on. There is no welt in the sheath to protect the stitching from a sharp knife edge.

I'll see what I can find about Churchill and Alden as a possible manufacturer.

Thanks for the replies and questions.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”