Scored some nice military knives today

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Gunsil

Scored some nice military knives today

Post by Gunsil »

Drove over an hour to a small outdoor gun show in PA, found some nice WW2 US military knives. Could have had several more nice ones but ran out of funds. Nice unused Imperial blade marked M3 and a couple nice unused Mil-K knives, one 1967 Imperial and one Ulster 1948, the first for Ulster and the first post war version. Sorry the photos turned out dark. The M3 came in what I am pretty sure is a repro M6 scabbard but the price was right even with the repro sheath.
C8B21601-B2B4-405A-9930-9E67DE48D0DD.jpeg
5E3B43CA-62B9-4355-AAC5-3777EB00894A.jpeg
D2B53538-8F4A-4B17-B2AB-285074A6523F_1_201_a.jpeg
811130D1-04C7-459D-9E14-74EFBC468F90.jpeg
57C6C811-7549-44BB-B8DA-4607AFEE9C76.jpeg
TPK

Re: Scored some nice military knives today

Post by TPK »

Gunsil wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:58 pm Drove over an hour to a small outdoor gun show in PA, found some nice WW2 US military knives. Could have had several more nice ones but ran out of funds. Nice unused Imperial blade marked M3 and a couple nice unused Mil-K knives, one 1967 Imperial and one Ulster 1948, the first for Ulster and the first post war version. Sorry the photos turned out dark. The M3 came in what I am pretty sure is a repro M6 scabbard but the price was right even with the repro sheath.
Great looking finds! Congrats! ::handshake:: :D

I went to a neighborhood full of yard sales this morning. Found 1 fixed blade & 1 old SAK but nothing I wanted to spend any money on. ::undecided::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Wow, Gene! I am LOVING that M3! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
eveled

Post by eveled »

Nice finds indeed. That Ulster 48 is a cool knife. I don’t think I’ve seen one before.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

tongueriver wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:53 pm Wow, Gene! I am LOVING that M3! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks Cal! The guy had a Utica in same condition with a poorer quality repro sheath and two unissued Imperial guard marked ones with no sheaths. Going on my annual month long fishing trip next week and with a poor year for knife sales I just couldn't let myself spend more. He had some MK2S which were overpriced but the M3s were reasonable for their fine condition.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

eveled wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:07 pm Nice finds indeed. That Ulster 48 is a cool knife. I don’t think I’ve seen one before.
Ed, I thought of you when I saw the table with a half dozen M3s and another bunch of MK2s. I saw the Ulster and the 67 Imperial last year at another gun show and kicked myself for not buying them. I saw they guy who had them at a knife show later last year and when I asked about them he told me he had sold them. I see him today, almost exactly a year since I saw him at the knife show and there they were, this time I didn't hesitate. Those 48 Ulsters are very rare, not as rare as the 49 Camillus but still very hard to find. The guy had another 48 Ulster with some use and the very tip of the punch broken. I can phone him to see if he still has it if you are interested in owning it. PM me if you are and I can tell you what it will cost. He is an old friend and can mail it to me if necessary, he is about 80 miles from me so post will likely be cheaper than gas up there and back.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Thanks for thinking of me Gunsil. I’m going to have to pass on your kind offer. I’ve realized I don’t need to own them all to appreciate them. Plus I’m focused on other things right now.
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Hard to say, But looks like that M6 scabbard could be original. Nice M3.
Eye Brand Collector
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

MILSCO (Milwaukee Saddle Company) made the most M6 scabbards.

MILSCO is also the most frequently reproduced/counterfeited/faked M6 scabbard.

Reasons for being "real" in my opinion -
1) Gunsil's has both rivets and staples along the stitching. Most of the reproductions have only rivets, no staples included on the body.
2) The "4" in 1943 is closed, which is correct. The reproductions usually have an "open top" 4.
3) There is no period between the "M" and the "6" in the "U.S. M6" line. The reproductions usually have a period between the "M" and the "6".

If it is a reproduction/fake, it is a good one as it covers the 3 most obvious "tells" for being a reproduction.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”